Dynasty League Setup

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dlf_ericd
Administrator

Dynasty League Setup

Postby dlf_ericd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:58 am

Just curious, if you were setting up a dynasty league for next year, what would you do different/same from your current league...kinda looking for 'best practices' and advice from those that have been in several different kinds of league. It could be everything from roster size, starting requirements, PPR & how it works, waivers/auction bidding, draft setup, # of teams, divisions, etc.

DISCLAIMER - Please do not include IDP info.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Dynasty League Setup

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:09 am

Good question as now is the time ideas are fresh in many owners/commissioners minds. Here's how I would set a new league up:

12 teams
3 divisions
25 man rosters
WCOFF scoring (PPR)
Start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, K, D
Weekly waivers based on continual rolling list
25 round snake draft / 4 round rookie draft for future seasons
Draft picks can be traded 2 years into the future
Commissioners approve/veto all trades
Division winners and 3 wild card teams advance to playoffs (top 2 division winners receive 1st round bye)

I looked at all 9 leagues I participate in and took a little from each that I like...

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 am

From the DLF leagues I am in, I think that the trading of future draft picks should be traded 1 year into the future only. I think I have seen some long term negative effects on allowing trades 2 years into the future.

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 am

Steelersfan wrote:Good question as now is the time ideas are fresh in many owners/commissioners minds. Here's how I would set a new league up:

12 teams
3 divisions
25 man rosters
WCOFF scoring (PPR)
Division winners and 3 wild card teams advance to playoffs (top 2 division winners receive 1st round bye)

I looked at all 9 leagues I participate in and took a little from each that I like...
This is my preferred set up, but I'd add VP (Victory Points) to this as well.
Keep normal H2H and add:

2 VP's for a win.
1 VP for a tie
0 VP for a loss.

Top 4 scoring teams in week - 2 VP's
Middle 4 - 1 VP
Bottom 4 - 0 VP

Basically high score of the week would receive 4 VP's not matter what.
Eliminates the "luck factor" of H2H and rewards the best scoring teams that may take a bad beat, ie have the 2nd highest point total in a week but lose to the high score of the week.

Guppy CEO
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Guppy CEO » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:12 pm

startup drafts really should use an auction so that everyone has a chance at every player. i also like bigger starting lineups, so qb, rb, rb, wr,wr,wr, te, flex, k, def as it gives teams with better depth a chance against teams that are all studs with no depth.

i think trading for picks more than a yr in advance is ok as long as the team giving up the pick pays up for that yr prior to the trade.
2008 Champion, 2009 runner up, 2011 champ
fear the guppy!!!!!

eaglesfan
Starter
Starter

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Steelersfan wrote:Good question as now is the time ideas are fresh in many owners/commissioners minds. Here's how I would set a new league up:

12 teams
3 divisions
25 man rosters
WCOFF scoring (PPR)

I like all of what was suggested here except a couple of things. I would add a wide receiver to the starting lineup to make it 3 WR and 1 flex. Also, trades should not be approved by the commish. They should automatically go through when they occur. They can be reversed if they look extremely shady and bad by the commish only.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Darth Vader

eaglesfan
Starter
Starter

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:00 pm

One thing I forgot. We do this in my current dynasty league so teams don't give up on their squads and trade away the farm or give up on their team. If you trade a 2011 pick you must pay the league fee for that season. So, an owner in my league traded away a 2011 and a 2012 pick before the season started to upgrade in the draft. He then had to pay, up front, for the current season, the 2011 and 2012 season.

Darth Vader

eaglesfan
Starter
Starter

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:02 pm

This is my preferred set up, but I'd add VP (Victory Points) to this as well.
Keep normal H2H and add:

2 VP's for a win.
1 VP for a tie
0 VP for a loss.

Top 4 scoring teams in week - 2 VP's
Middle 4 - 1 VP
Bottom 4 - 0 VP

Basically high score of the week would receive 4 VP's not matter what.
Eliminates the "luck factor" of H2H and rewards the best scoring teams that may take a bad beat, ie have the 2nd highest point total in a week but lose to the high score of the week.[/quote]

Could you explain this to me in simpler terms. I'm an idiot and don't understand how this works out in the end. What do the victory points do for you in the long run?

Darth Vader

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:45 pm

eaglesfan wrote:

12 teams
3 divisions
25 man rosters
WCOFF scoring (PPR)

I like all of what was suggested here except a couple of things. I would add a wide receiver to the starting lineup to make it 3 WR and 1 flex. Also, trades should not be approved by the commish. They should automatically go through when they occur. They can be reversed if they look extremely shady and bad by the commish only.
I agree 100%, that's actually what we do in the DLF Invitational Leagues and meant to say... :thumbup:

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:12 am

eaglesfan wrote:Could you explain this to me in simpler terms. I'm an idiot and don't understand how this works out in the end. What do the victory points do for you in the long run?
It basically eliminates some of the luck factor involved in Fantasy.
Say at the end of the year you're the 2nd highest scoring team in the league but finish 6-7 and miss the playoffs.
Reason being, you played against teams that had their best week of the season against because you finished 1st in points against.
Should that team (6-7 and 2nd highest scoring) make the playoffs?
Yes, they were the 2nd best team all year, but because of dumb luck, you're out of the playoffs.
You would keep normal divisions and standings set up as you like (3 divisions of 4 teams, 4 divisions of 3 teams, etc).
Add Victory Points (an option in myfantasyleague.com) the standings.
In any given week there's a high score and low score and 10 in between.
Every team that wins earns 2 VP's.
Every team that ties earns 1 VP.
Every team that losses earns 0 VP's.

The top 4 high scoring teams earn 2 VP's every week.
The middle 4 earn 1 and the bottom 4 earn 0.

This way, say you're the 2nd highest scoring team of the week and lose to the high score of the week it's not a total loss.
You get 2 VP's for your score.
When the season is over, the division winners make the playoffs as normal but the WC's would be determined by the next highest VP totals.

I'm in a league for the first time this year with it and it's great.
I'm trying to switch this to the leagues I commish too.

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:45 am

I'm loving all the ideas here...what a great resource. Any thoughts on starting requirements? I've seen a lot of leagues with a more flexible starting roster, such as 1 QB, 1-3 RB's, 1-4 WR's, 1-2 TE's, 1 RB/WR/TE, etc.

What do you guys prefer?
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

eaglesfan
Starter
Starter

Postby eaglesfan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:42 am

lemmi wrote:
eaglesfan wrote:Could you explain this to me in simpler terms. I'm an idiot and don't understand how this works out in the end. What do the victory points do for you in the long run?
It basically eliminates some of the luck factor involved in Fantasy.
Say at the end of the year you're the 2nd highest scoring team in the league but finish 6-7 and miss the playoffs.
Reason being, you played against teams that had their best week of the season against because you finished 1st in points against.
Should that team (6-7 and 2nd highest scoring) make the playoffs?
Yes, they were the 2nd best team all year, but because of dumb luck, you're out of the playoffs.
You would keep normal divisions and standings set up as you like (3 divisions of 4 teams, 4 divisions of 3 teams, etc).
Add Victory Points (an option in myfantasyleague.com) the standings.
In any given week there's a high score and low score and 10 in between.
Every team that wins earns 2 VP's.
Every team that ties earns 1 VP.
Every team that losses earns 0 VP's.

The top 4 high scoring teams earn 2 VP's every week.
The middle 4 earn 1 and the bottom 4 earn 0.

This way, say you're the 2nd highest scoring team of the week and lose to the high score of the week it's not a total loss.
You get 2 VP's for your score.
When the season is over, the division winners make the playoffs as normal but the WC's would be determined by the next highest VP totals.

I'm in a league for the first time this year with it and it's great.
I'm trying to switch this to the leagues I commish too.

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like a good idea. I may try this next season.

Darth Vader