Luck begins to throw

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Luck begins to throw

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:49 pm

JFever wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:46 pm I remember when Drew Brees's career was over after a bad career ending shoulder surgery. Then, he went to New Orleans.
I'm not aware of what happened to Brees, but it take him a year and a half to throw extra light footballs? (Not being a dick, just curious, I honestly didn't know Brees had a bad shoulder issue early in his career.)
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Brees should have been on the Dolphins.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:29 pm

I think what JFever is saying is that all Luck needs is to change teams. ;)

I forgot that Brees played a full 5 with the Chargers - always sort of thought of it as more like 2-3 years. Anyways JFever does make a point in that long term this might not change his career overall(but obviously owners who want to take advantage short term should be making all the noise they can about his inability to get on the playing field).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:34 pm

But how bad was brees' shoulder? Was it a season ending injury that required surgery and he was good to go the next season (or whenever he was scheduled to get back)? Or was it an offseason surgery that has taken a year to get him to the point of throwing extra light footballs after the expected recovery time was half a year?
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:38 pm

JFever wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:46 pm I remember when Drew Brees's career was over after a bad career ending shoulder surgery. Then, he went to New Orleans. How many posters on our site do you think, remember that Brees played 5 seasons for the chargers? Then his career was said to be over. This throw in bleep, this hasn't thrown in a year crap.... It's as if you know. Don't dismiss who we are discussing so whimsicly. With today's modern medicine, diet, etc, odds are pretty damb good that Luck makes it back and plays at a high level for a decade plus.
Man I am a huge Luck fan and used to be on the same page here, but when I looked into it more the situations are really very different. Brees' surgery was considered incredibly successful right off the bat, and he healed miraculously fast. He never had even the smallest set-back and if anything was way way ahead of schedule throughout the whole process. At the time the one and only Dr. James Andrews said it was the most successful surgery and most incredible immediate comeback of anyone he has ever treated, and he has treated many.

Contrast that to Luck who has been the complete opposite, nothing but setbacks, still can't throw a football 18 months later. His body is just reacting to it completely differently and I'm still not convinced the surgery won't need to be re-done.

18 months after Brees' injury (much less the surgery), Brees was suiting up to play in the Pro Bowl after finishing up a 4500 yards passing season with the highest YPA average of his career.

18 months after Luck's surgery (and we're what, 3 years since the injury now?) he still hasn't thrown a football.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:31 pm

In a superflex, how much do I need to add to the 1.01 to get Brissett?
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:49 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:31 pm In a superflex, how much do I need to add to the 1.01 to get Brissett?
Try Luck. He's nothing more than a throw in at this point. :wink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

phoenix09
Rookie
Rookie

Postby phoenix09 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 pm

You guys need to chill.

Since Luck was shut down last season, there has been absolutely no rush to bring him back. It makes perfect sense to take things as slowly as possible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has anyone said he can't throw a normal football? Everything I'm seeing is that he is sticking to a pre-determined timetable, which I'm assuming has him ready to go Week 1. His progression as it stands has him throwing an extra light football. So what. You don't win football games in April. If anything I'd be MORE confident in his rehab and eventual return. They tried to rush him back previously, which was the wrong decision.

Maybe I need to go make some offers...
12 Team IDP PPR Superflex Dynasty: 1-2 QB, 1-6 RB/WR/TE (7 total), PK, PN, 2DL, 3LB, 2DB.

QB - Richardson, Purdy, Love, Z Wilson
RB - Hall, K Williams, Warren, Edwards, Perine
WR - Lamb, Jeudy, Nacua, Eli Moore, Bateman, Meyers, Downs
TE - Gesicki, Njoku, Kincaid, Smith Jr
DL - Garrett, Burns, Rousseau, Phillips
LB - Q Walker, Al-Shaair, Alexander, Grugier-Hill
DB - Bates, Dugger, A Hooker, K Wallace

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm

phoenix09 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 pm You guys need to chill.

Since Luck was shut down last season, there has been absolutely no rush to bring him back. It makes perfect sense to take things as slowly as possible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has anyone said he can't throw a normal football? Everything I'm seeing is that he is sticking to a pre-determined timetable, which I'm assuming has him ready to go Week 1. His progression as it stands has him throwing an extra light football. So what. You don't win football games in April. If anything I'd be MORE confident in his rehab and eventual return. They tried to rush him back previously, which was the wrong decision.

What part makes you MORE optimistic? I'm confused. The fact that he isn't throwing footballs makes you more confident? So if his progress had been faster you'd be less confident? Or is it because nobody said he CAN'T throw a football? I am genuinely interested into how you would be more optimistic. :think:

I don't think anybody is saying Luck is not going to play again, but there is a real possibility that Andrew Luck will never be the same player he was before this injury. I don't think anybody can honestly say that is not a legitimate concern at this point.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

phoenix09
Rookie
Rookie

Postby phoenix09 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 pm
phoenix09 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 pm You guys need to chill.

What part makes you MORE optimistic? I'm confused. The fact that he isn't throwing footballs makes you more confident? So if his progress had been faster you'd be less confident? Or is it because nobody said he CAN'T throw a football? I am genuinely interested into how you would be more optimistic. :think:

I don't think anybody is saying Luck is not going to play again, but there is a real possibility that Andrew Luck will never be the same player he was before this injury. I don't think anybody can honestly say that is not a legitimate concern at this point.
It's not the fact he isn't throwing footballs, it's the fact that they're taking rehab seriously and sticking to a schedule. They tried to rush him back before and it was the wrong decision. Luck could probably throw a football today and all will be fine, but there is no point to rush it at this moment. Taking things slowly and following a progression.

For example, I had the exact same injury as Sammy Watkins in his foot. He was rushed back, had pain, kept playing and basically re-broke it. There's countless examples of this in sport, because millions depends on it. I had the luxury of taking rehab slowly and following my schedule and didn't miss a beat. Like I said, it's the offseason and football games aren't won in April. I wouldn't be stressing yet.
12 Team IDP PPR Superflex Dynasty: 1-2 QB, 1-6 RB/WR/TE (7 total), PK, PN, 2DL, 3LB, 2DB.

QB - Richardson, Purdy, Love, Z Wilson
RB - Hall, K Williams, Warren, Edwards, Perine
WR - Lamb, Jeudy, Nacua, Eli Moore, Bateman, Meyers, Downs
TE - Gesicki, Njoku, Kincaid, Smith Jr
DL - Garrett, Burns, Rousseau, Phillips
LB - Q Walker, Al-Shaair, Alexander, Grugier-Hill
DB - Bates, Dugger, A Hooker, K Wallace

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:45 am

JFever wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:34 pm
thebeast wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:04 pm Luck is a throw in except to his owners who can’t face reality.
:wall:
Out of curiosity, what are you willing to pay for Luck in draft capital in a 12 team standard?

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:23 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:52 pm Brees should have been on the Dolphins.
You think Brees could have gotten the laces out?

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 am

thebeast wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:45 am
thebeast wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:04 pm Luck is a throw in except to his owners who can’t face reality.
Out of curiosity, what are you willing to pay for Luck in draft capital in a 12 team standard?
All depends on team need, scoring, etc. I find it amusing that you refer to Luck as a throw in.

Seems so incredibly short sighted and centered on the redraft mentality of team management and player evaluation. Frankly, I was disappointed to see that remark from you Beast. In my opinion that line of thinking shows a general lack of patience, understanding of the position we are discussing, the player we are discussing, and the game we are playing.

To each their own.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:52 pm Brees should have been on the Dolphins.
Ugh. Several times over even.

Most ticked off I've ever been during a draft is when the Fins pulled the trigger on Jamar Fletcher in the late 1st round with Brees still on the board. Then they doubled down on it 5 years later with Culpepper.

Now I'm going to be in a bad mood all day.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:10 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 am
thebeast wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:45 am
All depends on team need, scoring, etc. I find it amusing that you refer to Luck as a throw in.

Seems so incredibly short sighted and centered on the redraft mentality of team management and player evaluation. Frankly, I was disappointed to see that remark from you Beast. In my opinion that line of thinking shows a general lack of patience, understanding of the position we are discussing, the player we are discussing, and the game we are playing.

To each their own.
Look at where his adp is, around guys like Alex Collins and Tarik Cohen. I think you’re hung up on the name. This isn’t a normal injury anymore and I’m surprised that isn’t apparent to all. Sure he might make a full recovery, but does that really seem like a high probability?