What to do with 4th and 5th round picks?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

What to do with 4th and 5th round picks?

Postby Wizard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 pm

My league does a 5 round rookie draft each year (is that typical? I have no idea). My question is what do you do with the 4th and 5th round picks. I have 4.10 and 5.10 this year, about the same as last year. By the time we get that deep into the draft I don't recognize anyone available. I end up picking up someone off waiver as my pick. I've been poking around on this site for a few weeks and its really been helpful but I don't once remember anyone discussing trading or acquiring a 4th or 5th round picks. What do you guys do with picks that late?
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What to do with 4th and 5th round picks?

Postby skip » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Use them to move up or trade out into next year's draft but by the time you get to your actual draft you will recognize some names.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Most of my leagues are 16 team 8 round, I do have a 32 team 6 round draft. Both are idp, so the pool is a little deeper, but if you have a taxi squad great place to stash a few late round picks. I got kupp last year at 3.11(pick 43) in 1 draft, Clement at 6.09. . Keep reading, by may you will have 60-70 targets for your draft

Having said that, Typically I try to use them to move up through out the year. Ask for their 3rd or 4th in a deal sending your 5th. Then try and move your 4th up...
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 pm

While the hit rate is low with these picks, there are the occasional gems. Dak Prescott comes to mind. Trent Taylor was also drafted pretty late, and he may end up being something at some point as well.

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:52 am

Good to use to trade up a few picks in earlier rounds - or to acquire for future use and trading. Or otherwise just draft the BPA:
From last year, in one of my leagues players who still have value:
4.03 Aaron Jones
4.06 Adam Shaheen
4.10 Pat Mahomes II
4.11 Dede Westbrook
5.02 Tarik Cohen
5.03 Jonnu Smith
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 am

As others have said there are gems to be had. I took Rico Gathers in the 4th last year and trades him for a 2018 2nd after the pre-season. Also if you have DST that is a good spot to lock up an up and coming defense for the year.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:56 am

pick players
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am

i like to use those picks to take stabs on guys....maybe you like hollins? potentially a guy like williams? there are rb's all over the place.....i try to spend them now in hopes of striking a brief glimpse of hope to sell or hold.

as im sure you know op, rosters get short in a 5 rd draft. if you trust your late rd instinct....you can potentially turn your high picks into players...then the last 2/3 guys on your roster are 4'ths or off the ww.

nyterp
Starter
Starter

Postby nyterp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am

Depending on the type of league, there are players to be had that late(SF/IDP in particular) . Hit rate may be low, but I actually acquired a few extra late round picks last year for guys I was going to drop anyway. Dig around on here in some of the sleeper threads and you will find some names that you might like and would be worth taking a flier on really late.
rosterwars.forumotion.com - IDP/Contract league discussion board. Come check us out!

IDP/Contract - Charm City Justice

Superflex - Chernobyl Toxins

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:55 am

skip wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm Use them to move up or trade out into next year's draft but by the time you get to your actual draft you will recognize some names.
Yep ^

Either move them in package deals to sweeten the offer or close a deal or use them as flyer picks. It is nice to hit on guys late in the draft from time to time. It isn't likely but it is possible to hit on later round rookies that can put your team into contention very quickly. Diamond in the rough type thing. Do your homework and Yes, I agree with Skip, you will recognize some names.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 pm

They usually hold such low trade value in my league that trading them is pointless.

Just know that if you do draft with those picks - you're not expecting immediate production and they will be developmental guys you wait on.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Like others said I typically try to use them to package up whenever possible. Using them is fun, but odds of landing productive players are slim. One final thing I'd suggest is buying vets from the dented can aisle. My league doesn't do 5th round picks, but as an example I did recently make a pair of trades that essentially netted out like this:

Give: 3.08 & 4.05
Get: Jeremy Hill & Mike Gillislee

I know that might gross some people out, we all love youth in dynasty. Just keep in mind the average 3rd/4th/5th round rookie pick is never going to be fantasy relevant and if they are it may take many years of stashing them on your bench to see it. The average dynasty league settings make it near impossible to stash end of bench guys that long.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 pm

I agree with all mentioned above and is great advise. But I think the answer to the question is make your list of known player at least as long as available draft picks. Then I usually draft high athletic profile guys with those picks, like Chris Carson 5th, Rob Kelly 5th, Jalen Richard, Tyreek Hill 4th, are just a few I have grabbbed in leagues. If I remember Antonio Brown was not drafted in most leagues.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 pm

dawgs4life wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 pm I agree with all mentioned above and is great advise. But I think the answer to the question is make your list of known player at least as long as available draft picks. Then I usually draft high athletic profile guys with those picks, like Chris Carson 5th, Rob Kelly 5th, Jalen Richard, Tyreek Hill 4th, are just a few I have grabbbed in leagues. If I remember Antonio Brown was not drafted in most leagues.
This. If there are 60 picks in your rookie draft, then your draft list should be at least 60. I've usually had trouble scaling back on the players to pick and would enjoy an even longer rookie draft! As long as there is roster/taxi squad space for them.

One tactic I use is scarcity principle - If there are a dozen WRs left in the last round that I like, but only one QB or a couple of RBs, or a LB, I'll pick one of them, since chances are I'll get a shot at one of those WRs when waivers open week one. and by then I'll have a better idea of which ones to target.

Good luck!
-oo-

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 am

meineymoe wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 pm
dawgs4life wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 pm I agree with all mentioned above and is great advise. But I think the answer to the question is make your list of known player at least as long as available draft picks. Then I usually draft high athletic profile guys with those picks, like Chris Carson 5th, Rob Kelly 5th, Jalen Richard, Tyreek Hill 4th, are just a few I have grabbbed in leagues. If I remember Antonio Brown was not drafted in most leagues.
This. If there are 60 picks in your rookie draft, then your draft list should be at least 60. I've usually had trouble scaling back on the players to pick and would enjoy an even longer rookie draft! As long as there is roster/taxi squad space for them.

One tactic I use is scarcity principle - If there are a dozen WRs left in the last round that I like, but only one QB or a couple of RBs, or a LB, I'll pick one of them, since chances are I'll get a shot at one of those WRs when waivers open week one. and by then I'll have a better idea of which ones to target.

Good luck!
-oo-

This is sound advice. Nice post & thanks for sharing this bolded part. I guessing that could prove to be helpful to some newer dynasty owners.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.