2018 Draft Class VS 2017

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: 2018 Draft Class VS 2017

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:41 am

Combine is going to make or break a couple guys for me, draft will always be a large factor. I think it would be deeper than 2017 if love and harris declared, but without them it is about just as deep, but not as great if you know what I mean. but that is just on initial analysis, lots of time left for a lot of things to play out
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

dynastyaggie
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby dynastyaggie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:40 am

I may be in the minority here, but I am imploring a strategy of looking to sell high on my early 1st round picks in this draft. Barkley is generational no doubt, but this class is getting so much hype. I have a hard time believing all the guys will pan like Cook, Hunt, CMC, Leonard, Kamara, etc. In my league personally I have gotten some really good offers for 1.02 and 1.05. I am thinking it might be a good idea to trade those picks (potentially after the draft where value will likely peak) for known commodities.
12 Team Dynasty 6pt Pass TD .5 PPR 1QB 2RB 3WR 1 FLEX
QB: Patrick Mahomes.
RB: Leveon Bell, David Johnson, Latavius Murray, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Barber, Nyheim Hines, Tony Pollard, Jerick McKinnon, Chris Thompson.
WR: Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Cooper Kupp, Tyrell Williams, Chris Conley, Randall Cobb, Antonio Brown
TE: Mark Andrews, Eric Ebron

2020 Rookie Picks: 1.1, 1.7, 3.3

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:59 pm

spotxc wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:39 am This is a rb rich year. U can’t judge a year before it was even started. By the end of 2017, this year was rb rich despite any hype from previous years. No reason to zig when they zag, cause you’d be doing it at the wrong time. Not the time to just think differently for no real reason
Maybe, and I'm sure that's true to some extent. But to some extent I think it's also people taking names and applying them to last year's similar prospects that broke out with the expectation they're going to do the same.

People are talking about the top 6 rookie picks all being RBs. So we're legitimately talking about people looking at 3rd round NFL RBs being taken in rookie drafts over 1st round WRs, maybe even 1st round WRs drafted in the top 10 or 15 of the NFL draft. If that's not chasing Hunt/Kamara's points then I don't know what is, and it reminds more than a little bit of the last time people went this RB crazy and started rushing to draft the Montario Hardesty and Ben Tate's of the world while Demaryius Thomas slid to the 1.07 pick or later.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Ghosted wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 am
broncohead wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:47 pm Really there were only 2 studs pre combine/draft last year. It was all about Fournette and Cook. Post combine and draft is when "the top 6" emerged. Cook ended up not being in the top 2 and going around 4-6 in many drafts.
This is not true. The depth and talent of the '17 RB class had been discussed at length for a long, long time. I think rookie fever is much more at play than revisionist history when discussing these two classes.
I'm talking pre draft and season. This time last year that is true.
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm

broncohead wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:46 pm
broncohead wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:47 pm Really there were only 2 studs pre combine/draft last year. It was all about Fournette and Cook. Post combine and draft is when "the top 6" emerged. Cook ended up not being in the top 2 and going around 4-6 in many drafts.
This is not true. The depth and talent of the '17 RB class had been discussed at length for a long, long time. I think rookie fever is much more at play than revisionist history when discussing these two classes.
I am, too.

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Ghosted wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm

I am, too.
What part about what I said was untrue? The depth at RB was discussed I never said it wasn't but it's also being discussed for this class as well.
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

spotxc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby spotxc » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:39 pm

I don't think u need to apply this years prospects to names of last year. They are great in their own right. Cant discount them either cause last class blew up their rookie year. It doesn't mean they are gonna follow their exact paths but I believe these rbs will have a great nfl career. And that would go for 3-6 of them which is rb rich for me. Especially when we were lucky to get 1 or maybe 2 every other year recently not counting 2017.

And I would agree its always very hard to take 3rd round rbs over 1st rd wrs. I took williams last year over guys like hunt and kamara and it didn't pan out really well so far. Not saying I wouldn't do it again, cause I would if i believed in the wr. I think we're gonna see at least a few rbs go in 2nd round tho, which makes it even tougher

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:07 pm

broncohead wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

I am, too.
What part about what I said was untrue? The depth at RB was discussed I never said it wasn't but it's also being discussed for this class as well.
I'm saying that it wasn't just LF and Cook pre-draft (or combine). '17 was a magical class for RB's and it was perceived that way long before the season started (like years before). There were 4 different backs that took turns being discussed as the 1.1. Then you had the really talented group behind them. Maybe the '18 guys end up being as good, but I wouldn't bet on it (I'm not down on the '18 class, either - '17 was just that good). I actually think the success of '17 is raising the perception of the '18 backs, outside of Barkley and maybe Guice.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Ghosted wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:07 pm
broncohead wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

I am, too.
I'm saying that it wasn't just LF and Cook pre-draft (or combine). '17 was a magical class for RB's and it was perceived that way long before the season started (like years before). There were 4 different backs that took turns being discussed as the 1.1. Then you had the really talented group behind them. Maybe the '18 guys end up being as good, but I wouldn't bet on it (I'm not down on the '18 class, either - '17 was just that good). I actually think the success of '17 is raising the perception of the '18 backs, outside of Barkley and maybe Guice.
I think you're both right to an extent here.

The '17 class was looked at as the next great RB class for a good 2-3 years before the draft actually came around. People were salivating over Fournette/Cook/Chubb since they were freshman and liked some of the other guys quite a bit as well.

On the flipside, by the time the '17 draft actually roled around a lot of those guys had lost a lot of value. Chubb was obviously gone with the injury and returning to school. Cook had just about every red flag there is (injuries, fumbles, poor pass blocking, poor combine, off the field issues) start to wear him down even before the big fall. Fournette held his value the best but with a chronic ankle issue and a mediocre final year even he fell by quite a bit and was no longer considered the generational Peterson-like prospect that people saw him as earlier in his collegiant career.

Likewise those "other guys" that people were excited about for the next tier disappointed by quite a bit as well. Perine never really lived up to the billing, and Freeman was a total bust who wasn't even good enough to come out.

Then back to the flipside of the flipside, other guys stepped in and made things better again by making the class deep. McCaffrey lit up the combine and suddenly became an elite prospect instead of just a mediocre one. Mixon burst onto everyone's scene. People started getting excited about Kamara (Hunt was never really a factor until the actual draft when KC took him).

It was a wild ride. In some ways I thought the "this is an amazing RB class" was just a holdover from all the hype of 2 years prior that '17 was going to be a great class and people were simply applying that hype to new guys (McCaffrey, Mixon, Kamara) when the original hype guys disappointed to some extent. Honestly I still think that's kind of the case, and it just so happened to work out that it still ended up being a great class.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert