how to increase qb value in 1qb leagues

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: how to increase qb value in 1qb leagues

Postby skip » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:36 pm

If you use VBD to rank your players, modifying a scoring system should have virtually no impact on changing their value relative to other positions. There is an article I used to post periodically when the 4 vs 6 point TD fallacy would come up but I've lost track of it. The net result of such a change decreased the value of rushing QBs slightly vs their primarily passing counterparts but otherwise the effect of not what you are desiring. The best strategy is just to implement superflex (or 2QB).
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:54 pm

VBD?
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:41 pm

You cannot really increase their value specifically; but you can influence what makes certain QBs more valuable than others.

As long as only 10-14 are being started in fantasy, they will not have a ton of value by the consensus.

All leagues are different. For example, I have a 10 team league where no starters are on the wire. In a situation like that, the owners with QBs dictate their value.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pm

kamihamster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:54 pmVBD?
Value based drafting. When you're looking at the difference between positions at a given point of drafting and evaluating the cost-benefit of which position makes more sense relative to the drop-off at the same position.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm

I personally see 2QB/superflex as the only way to really increase QBs value. If you up the scoring settings for QBs, then every QB gets a bump. So, you aren't necessarily increasing QBs overall value; you are just increasing the total points they score. You could still stream QBs the same way you did before the points bump.

I think superflex is the best option. You aren't forced to start two QBs every week and you're given the option to start a position player if needed. Other than that, I do not see many options to increase QBs value.
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:59 pm

jordanzs wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm In the leagues that I run, I give .125 points per completion, and -.125 per incompletion.

So if you had 2 QBs that threw for 325 yards & 2 TDs, the 20 for 26 QB would outscore the 15 for 40 QB.

You could always bump those numbers to be more aggressive. .2 per completion, -.2 per incompletion.

Also, I think that leagues should remove the 1 point per 10 rushing yards for QBs, and just give 1 point per 20 yards, whether the QB passes or scrambles. Look at QB that suck in real life (Tyrod, Kaepernick, etc) but they're "great for fantasy" because of their cheap runs. Neutralize the ability to stream a mediocre QB like Tyrod/Kap and you'll squeeze out slightly more scarcity.
or the cheap completions check down artists get or stat boy qbs like drew brees most of his career where they just passed for the fun of it rather than to win or because they were always behind . The real problem is in managers inability to win so they always search for a holy grail system that makes them the smartest . My suggestion standard scoring and modified managerial style rather than modified scoring.
I will anticipate that take getting raked but hey the truth can hurt at times.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ESKAY
Captain
Captain

Postby ESKAY » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Seventy5 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm What about upping passing touchdowns to six (instead of 4) and 1 point for every 15-20 passing yards instead of 1 point for every 25 yards?

That way QB scoring overall increases in comparison to other positions, and the top end QBs begin to separate from the middling QBs who throw less TDs and pass for less yards making the elite QBs more valuable than before.

I am in a league that gives 6 points per pass TD and it does increase the scoring for sure. But the #10 QBs like Kirk and Ben score a ton of points also. So people still don’t value the WB position because they can get a ton of points out of the other top 12 starters. So I have Luck and am concerned when he is coming back. I am willing to trade pick 5 in our rookie draft to get Deshaun Watson. Where in most leagues nobody would consider giving up a first round pick for most QBs

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 pm

nabright wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm ...If you up the scoring settings for QBs, then every QB gets a bump...
Not really, though.

I agree with you that people shouldn’t concentrate on simply increasing the points scored by qbs, because it makes no difference as everyone owns qbs. What matters is how much more your qb can score than the typical opposition’s qb. This was your general point, I believe, and I agree with it.

Changing a scoring format for qbs can, however, create a more notable difference in scoring amongst the qb position (creating a steeper drop-off in ppg), which is where true value comes from.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:59 pm
jordanzs wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm In the leagues that I run, I give .125 points per completion, and -.125 per incompletion.

So if you had 2 QBs that threw for 325 yards & 2 TDs, the 20 for 26 QB would outscore the 15 for 40 QB.

You could always bump those numbers to be more aggressive. .2 per completion, -.2 per incompletion.

Also, I think that leagues should remove the 1 point per 10 rushing yards for QBs, and just give 1 point per 20 yards, whether the QB passes or scrambles. Look at QB that suck in real life (Tyrod, Kaepernick, etc) but they're "great for fantasy" because of their cheap runs. Neutralize the ability to stream a mediocre QB like Tyrod/Kap and you'll squeeze out slightly more scarcity.
or the cheap completions check down artists get or stat boy qbs like drew brees most of his career where they just passed for the fun of it rather than to win or because they were always behind . The real problem is in managers inability to win so they always search for a holy grail system that makes them the smartest . My suggestion standard scoring and modified managerial style rather than modified scoring.
Drew Brees is the best QB in the league. The Saints playoff drought was due to an absent defense, no fault of Brees. For fantasy, 2017 was a down year for Brees because the Saints running game was exceptionally efficient and Sean Payton rightly game planned around it. The running game will regress next year, so the passing game will have to step up for the offense to remain effective. Despite his down year in 2017, he still finished as the QB3 in the one league where I own him.
The standard is the standard.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 am

fooseball1031 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:44 pm
UnsafeAtAnySpd wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 pm 16 team format is the best imo. That said, I commish a startup from last year that is 18 teams in which things like completions, first downs, etc are counted to increase QB value. The QB position is 'superflex' though in that you don't have to start a QB (basically so the handful of teams without a second QB aren't forced to take a 0 on their QB bye week). Take a look at the scoring results from last year if you'd like: https://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/55624
chardee macdennis game of games :clap: lmao but do u guys only have an 8 man roster per team??
8 starters. 26 man roster + 5 taxi

nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nabright » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 pm
nabright wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm ...If you up the scoring settings for QBs, then every QB gets a bump...
Not really, though.

I agree with you that people shouldn’t concentrate on simply increasing the points scored by qbs, because it makes no difference as everyone owns qbs. What matters is how much more your qb can score than the typical opposition’s qb. This was your general point, I believe, and I agree with it.

Changing a scoring format for qbs can, however, create a more notable difference in scoring amongst the qb position (creating a steeper drop-off in ppg), which is where true value comes from.
I see your point, but to get to the point where it’d be worth investing in a top QB in the first round, they would have to be scoring quite a bit more points than say a fringe QB1/2. In a league like that, it won’t really raise the value of QBs as a whole, just the top guys.
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:18 pm

I remember a redraft league I used to play in probably about 7-8 years ago.
If I remember correctly; it had 6 points TDs all around and -3 for an INT.
It also provided you with a 5 point bonus if they had a 300 yard game AND they gain 2 points for each 10% completion above 50% (rounded up).

Basically - the team that had the elite quarterbacks always met in the championship.

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 pm

love this post. everyone is trying to come up with their own new scoring settings so they can have an advantage its insane how many diff leagues there are and types of scoring etc.
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:24 pm

fooseball1031 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 pm

love this post. everyone is trying to come up with their own new scoring settings so they can have an advantage its insane how many diff leagues there are and types of scoring etc.
It's how fantasy football evolves. Once upon a time, PPR was one of those silly little modifications, until people realized that it makes for superior leagues.

What can't a QB's completion percentage factor into a QB's score? QB passer rating is such a big stat in the real NFL. I wish that fantasy football would evolve to a point where it's so complex that it becomes simple: The best players will score the most points. Plain & simple. Having to say "but he's great for PPR" or "good player in real life but useless in PPR" is archaic. A futuristic fantasy football model would be awesome if it could differentiate between 4th quarter winning drive yardage versus 4th quarter Blake Bortles garbage time stats. Sure the technology isn't anywhere near that, but in a decade or so, we could be looking back laughing at "typical 12 team ppr" the same way that in 2018 we look at TD only leagues.

SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteveVolk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 am

2QB is a total nonstarter for me, as the entire league becomes focused on the scarcity at this single position. That's a little too much like the real NFL. I think the answer is in giving quarterbacks 1 point for every 10 yards passing and six points per touchdown. Their percentage of overall scoring increases dramatically, putting them in the same range as WRs and RBs, and for one single player instead of a position group with two or three starters that's pretty impressive. It depends on the team, of course, but bumping the numbers up in this way jumps QBs up from around 8 to 10 percent of overall scoring (in an IDP league) to 18- to 20-percent. Problem solved.