how to increase qb value in 1qb leagues

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

how to increase qb value in 1qb leagues

Postby playa_hata » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:52 pm

i am wondering what the best way to increase qb value in a league with out making it full blown 2qb or superflex. i dont like the aspect of 1qb leagues because the position that scores the most points in fantasy is less valuable than a tight end but i also dont like 2qb/superflex leagues bc there arent enough good qbs to really have a lot of options. wondering if anyone has any experience in finding a middle ground of the two such as doing a 6pt passing td league or something of that nature to boost the value of a qb in a 1qb league
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: how to increase qb value in 1qb leagues

Postby ArrylT » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 pm

10 team 2QB means only 20 starters instead of 24, so theoretically all 10 teams could have 3 starting QBs.

The only way to increase QB value in a 12 team league - imho - apart from recruiting owners who believe in having valuable QBs - is to increase QB points in a way that rewards top level QBs more.

Some leagues do that by adding a stronger negative on INTs like -3 or -4

As in the article below talks about - this is called the 6-4 (6 points for TD, -4 for Turnovers)

Otherwise I think you need to add things like Completion %, Avg Yards Per Completion, Passer Rating or such

Or expand to 14-16 teams - the more teams the more demand on QBs - but that runs into that problem you dont like in scarcity ...

Hope this article helps:

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/stor ... ootball-qb
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 pm

fooseball1031 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:52 pm i am wondering what the best way to increase qb value in a league with out making it full blown 2qb or superflex. i dont like the aspect of 1qb leagues because the position that scores the most points in fantasy is less valuable than a tight end but i also dont like 2qb/superflex leagues bc there arent enough good qbs to really have a lot of options. wondering if anyone has any experience in finding a middle ground of the two such as doing a 6pt passing td league or something of that nature to boost the value of a qb in a 1qb league
In my home league (full PPR) we have passing yard mark bonuses. +3 for breaking 300, +4 for 400, +5 for 500. I'm in another league that's also full PPR and fairly standard scoring otherwise where QB passing TD's are 5 points rather than 4.

Another thing you can do is you can make INT's only -1, rather than -2. That would help out even the QB's who tend to turn the ball over more often, boosting the value of the position as a whole.
#FreeCoreyDavis

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 pm

16 team format is the best imo. That said, I commish a startup from last year that is 18 teams in which things like completions, first downs, etc are counted to increase QB value. The QB position is 'superflex' though in that you don't have to start a QB (basically so the handful of teams without a second QB aren't forced to take a 0 on their QB bye week). Take a look at the scoring results from last year if you'd like: https://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/55624

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 pm

The reason QBs have less value is because of the rise of streaming - and streaming is more successful when you reduce negatives such as INTs or QB Fumbles - not less successful - because that makes the difference from the best & worst at the position even less pronounced at a position where you only need to start 1.

In 12 team PPR the difference between #1 QB and #12 QB is a lot less than #1 RB and #24 RB, #1 WR & #36 WR. Its a little better than #1 TE and #12 TE but reliable starting TEs are more scarce (and a lot of leagues also have a TE Premium scoring).

That is the key behind the loss of value at QB - not how much they score in comparison to other positions - but how much they score in contrast to each other, and reducing negatives eases that already low contrast.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:26 pm

Also here is a link to the massive discussion held over the last year or so ... ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115349

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33 pm

There was a thread about this a few years ago, but I can never find it. Basically it boils down to:
1. High scoring - I would say if the WR1/RB1 scored 400 pts in a season, the QB1 should be scoring 600+
2. Parity - It makes no sense for an owner to invest highly on a guy who only scores 5-10 pts more per game than a guy who is dirt cheap.
3. Big leagues - While the above will increase QB value, you won’t see teams treating QBs the way the NFL does unless you have a larger league. Supply and demand. I’d say 20+ teams, but 16 at the minimum.
The standard is the standard.

izekial
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby izekial » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:18 am

Score their yardage the same as every other position instead of only getting 1 for every 25 yards like most places do
12 team, standard scoring. 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 wr/te flex

QB-stafford, Luck
RB- K Hunt, A. Kamara, S Michel
WR- Beckham, A THielen, Julio Jones, S Watkins, C Davis, G Tate, C Coleman, Mike Williams, Cooper Kupp, Trey Quinn, C sutton
TE- Njoku, Gesicki, Goedart

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:48 am

hasn't the NFL given modern qbs enough help without skewing fantasy to make them even more valuable ?
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:41 am

ArrylT wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:26 pm Also here is a link to the massive discussion held over the last year or so ... ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115349
Boy did I ever go on some tirades in that thread...

I still stand by what I said back then, though. The top few QBs typically score (on a PPG basis) at a significantly higher level than even the 6-8 QB range. The drop-off is steep.

The argument people typically use is that you can draft what is typically about a 15th rated QB and he could easily be 7th-8th...giving you a "#1" QB. This is true, but it fails to recognize that you're still not typically approximating the scoring of the top few QBs, which (for Rodgers anyways) is as historically predictable as AB dominating the average #1 WR.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 am

qbmod.JPG
qbmod.JPG (123.77 KiB) Viewed 729 times
I changed the scoring in my work redraft league to try and do this, and it was somewhat successful. I dont remember the exact numbers, but I had Points per completion, negative points per incompletion... i worked it out so that at 65% the net was zero, if they threw above they got positive points and below that, negative points. Then I really hurt QBs that threw INTs with -4 points and fumbles -2 and to counter that a little I made TDs worth 7. This made the pool of consistent high scoring QBs small. It also made streaming a bit more difficult.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 am

I wouldn't be in favor of this, but if you're trying to increase QB value, you can reduce the scoring for other positional players. So take away ppr, ppc, or any other additional scoring they get outside of yards and TDs (and maybe even reduce the points they get for that). Like I said, I wouldn't necessarily be a fan of that, but it would probably increase QB value. Or you can just bite the bullet and do what all leagues should do, and that's move to superflex or 2QB.

playa_hata
All Pro
All Pro

Postby playa_hata » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:44 pm

UnsafeAtAnySpd wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 pm 16 team format is the best imo. That said, I commish a startup from last year that is 18 teams in which things like completions, first downs, etc are counted to increase QB value. The QB position is 'superflex' though in that you don't have to start a QB (basically so the handful of teams without a second QB aren't forced to take a 0 on their QB bye week). Take a look at the scoring results from last year if you'd like: https://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/55624
chardee macdennis game of games :clap: lmao but do u guys only have an 8 man roster per team??
12 team PPR SuperFlex start 9 (Same for each team)

TM1
QB: Rodgers, Rivers, Dak, Dalton, Smith
RB: Zeke, CMC, Jacobs, Chubb, Gore, Dearnest
WR: Davante Adams, Tyreek, Fuller, Aj Brown, AB, MVS, Fulgham, Ward, Fitz, Beasley, amendola, zaccheus
TE: Ertz, Engram, Fells

TM2
QB: Rodgers, Baker, Stafford, Bridgewater
RB:Kamara, Chubb, Hunt, Singletary
WR:M Evans,D Adams,Kupp, AJ brown, lockett, sanders,miller, Patrick, Robinson, Hamilton, Lasley, D.Robinson, Trey Quinn, Scantling, agholor
TE: Kelce, Rudolph, Irv smith, gronk, Burton

Seventy5
Legend
Legend

Postby Seventy5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm

What about upping passing touchdowns to six (instead of 4) and 1 point for every 15-20 passing yards instead of 1 point for every 25 yards?

That way QB scoring overall increases in comparison to other positions, and the top end QBs begin to separate from the middling QBs who throw less TDs and pass for less yards making the elite QBs more valuable than before.
DLF HOF League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Deshaun Watson | Stafford | Purdy | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley |DeVon Achane | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Joe Mixon / Chase Brown | Tucker
WR: Tyreek Hill | Rashee Rice | Tank Dell
WR: Stefon Diggs | DeVonta Smith | MWilliams | Claypool | C Austin
TE: Higbee | Likely | Chig Okonkwo | Strange
2023: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

DLF Premium League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Joe Burrow | Mayfield | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley | Tank Bigsby | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Aaron Jones | JK Dobbins | Sean Tucker
WR: Ja'Marr Chase | Christian Watson | Hyatt | Shenault
WR: Keenan Allen | Marquise Brown | Calvin Ridley | Addison | Claypool | C Jones | Shakir
TE: Sam LaPorta | Strange | Jonnu
2023: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm

In the leagues that I run, I give .125 points per completion, and -.125 per incompletion.

So if you had 2 QBs that threw for 325 yards & 2 TDs, the 20 for 26 QB would outscore the 15 for 40 QB.

You could always bump those numbers to be more aggressive. .2 per completion, -.2 per incompletion.

Also, I think that leagues should remove the 1 point per 10 rushing yards for QBs, and just give 1 point per 20 yards, whether the QB passes or scrambles. Look at QB that suck in real life (Tyrod, Kaepernick, etc) but they're "great for fantasy" because of their cheap runs. Neutralize the ability to stream a mediocre QB like Tyrod/Kap and you'll squeeze out slightly more scarcity.