1st Round TE's aren't what you think, and neither is Adam Shaheen.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: 1st Round TE's aren't what you think, and neither is Adam Shaheen.

Postby akbfrosty » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:53 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:04 amWe've all heard the trope "1st round TE's never bust" or they "hold their value really well".
I don't think this is a thing, at least not that I've seen.
I did some work on Tight Ends last year that looked back at 1st round Tight Ends drafted from 2001-2016 that sort of said what DD is alluding to with those quotes. I'm having trouble finding what my actual numbers were, so I'll ball park it. Also, my numbers were more to prove to people that 1st round Tight Ends don't actually take longer to develop.

From memory...Tight Ends drafted in the 1st round from the aforementioned years had at least one TE1 season by their 3rd year something like 80% of the time and had a TE1 season by their 4th year something like 85% of the time (probably a little lower now because Ebron was TE13). I didn't actually look at longevity of the production, though, just if a TE1 season happened in the 1st 4 years. Using that info, I felt comfortable saying that OJ, Engram, and Njoku were some of the safest late 1sts/early 2nds that we had seen in a long time, and I stand by that. Their values feel "safe".

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 am

skip wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 pm I'll back you, DD, as this was definitely at one time a very common line of thinking in fantasy circles that if a TE was selected in the first round they were a lock for fantasy success.
Ok, I thought I had gone mad there for a second :crazy:

akbfrosty wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:53 amI felt comfortable saying that OJ, Engram, and Njoku were some of the safest late 1sts/early 2nds that we had seen in a long time, and I stand by that. Their values feel "safe".
Yeah I agree with that. I made this thread b/c statistically Shaheen is as good or even a better bet than those 3 based on my research. It wasn't to say those 3 were bad bets.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Wasn't sure where to put it. Not sure we had a dedicated TE draft thread.

Bucky Brooks tight ends

Goedert
Hurst
Andrews
Gisiki
Fumagalli
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

I think Goedert is being very much undervalued by the general media right now. While he’s not quite on the level of OJ/Engram/Njoku he’s just below them and is a 1st round caliber TE.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

Quinty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Quinty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:30 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:06 am
Quinty wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:29 am Rob Housler was a red shirted senior, which should have been a huge red flag.
I’d imagine that it’s much more common for tight ends to stay through their senior year, so this shouldn’t be that uncommon for NFL tight ends. I could be wrong, though.
You're probably wrong given that you didn't read my post before responding, and your answer has nothing to do with what I said.

Freshmen redshirt. That makes sense. A senior redshirting? Healthy seniors should be kicking butt on the field, not taking a year off.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:36 am

Not to say Shaheen can't or won't be good, but I do think that the signing of Burton caps his usage for the next little while.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:33 am

Quinty wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:30 am
Valhalla wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:06 am
Quinty wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:29 am Rob Housler was a red shirted senior, which should have been a huge red flag.
I’d imagine that it’s much more common for tight ends to stay through their senior year, so this shouldn’t be that uncommon for NFL tight ends. I could be wrong, though.
You're probably wrong given that you didn't read my post before responding, and your answer has nothing to do with what I said.

Freshmen redshirt. That makes sense. A senior redshirting? Healthy seniors should be kicking butt on the field, not taking a year off.
Unwedgify your panties. I did mis-read your post. I read the redshirted senior bit as “he was redshirted and then still stayed through senior year, giving him 5 years in college, making him an old rookie.” I didn’t realize that he was actually redshirted in his senior year, which I agree is a big flag.
You are correct. I misinterpreted your meaning, which was clearly written. I did, however, read your post before responding, as I always do. Sorry for offending.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:11 pm

NFL teams typically want 1st round picks to be instant starters. Thus, TEs just aren't usually logical picks for NFL teams in the 1st round since even the best prospects at the position are rarely able to be full-time contributors immediately.

Anyway, as a Kelce owner who drafted him, he does not profile closely to Shaheen. Kelce weighs twenty pounds less than Shaheen, and as such is significantly faster and more explosive.

Shaheen is closer to Kyle Rudolph.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:11 pm NFL teams typically want 1st round picks to be instant starters. Thus, TEs just aren't usually logical picks for NFL teams in the 1st round since even the best prospects at the position are rarely able to be full-time contributors immediately.

Anyway, as a Kelce owner who drafted him, he does not profile closely to Shaheen. Kelce was and is significantly faster (several receptions in which he out-sprinted DBs after the catch on his Cincy tape) and weighs twenty pounds less than Shaheen.

Shaheen is closer to Kyle Rudolph. Who probably represents the former's ceiling.
If you look at Shaheen and Rudolph weight-adjusted 40's it's not even close. Not saying Shaheen is close to Kelce, I would have to read back to see where that is mentioned. But he's probably closer to Kelce than Rudolph, on paper at least.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 pm

It's in your OP.

I just looked at Rudolph's weight coming out. I didn't realize he was only 260 then. I take it back, Shaheen is definitely more impressive athletically than him.

I dunno who to compare Shaheen to. Few 280lbs TEs become featured pass-catchers in the NFL, but few 280lbs TEs have Shaheen's quick feet.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Hayden hurst in a TE premium?

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 pm It's in your OP.

I just looked at Rudolph's weight coming out. I didn't realize he was only 260 then. I take it back, Shaheen is definitely more impressive athletically than him.

I dunno who to compare Shaheen to. Few 280lbs TEs become featured pass-catchers in the NFL, but few 280lbs TEs have Shaheen's quick feet.
:shock: so it is

Anyways, like i said on paper they are pretty close in terms of weight-adjusted stuff. I agree you can point out some differences in terms of the raw numbers.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think Shaheen would be the heaviest stud TE if he were to become a stud. I think he probably was swimming his 1st year coming from a smaller school which is probably why they brought in Burton to help out (I still don't understand the infatuation with Burton... anyway) but I still like him long-term obviously.

A-train
Starter
Starter

Postby A-train » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 pm

The adam Shaheen owner just offered him to me for pick 34. Should I pull the trigger?
Team 1: France Les Bleus: 20 team .5 ppr dynasty league. Starters in Bold
QB: Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota
RB: Ezekiel Elliot, Alex Collins, D'onta Foreman, Chris Carson, James White, Kenneth Dixon
WR: Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, DJ Moore, Laquon Treadwell, Taywan Taylor, Josh Malone
TE: Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry, Adam Shaheen
D/ST: Patriots, Saints

Team 2: New England Patriots: 24 Team standard league. Starters in Bold
QB: Patrick Mahommes, Josh Rosen
RB: Royce Freeman, Nick Chubb, Phillip Lindsay, Derius Guice, Melvin Gordon
WR: DJ Moore, Courtland Sutton, DJ Chark, Desean Hamilton, Laquon Treadwell, Equanimous St. Brown, James Washington
TE: Gerald Everett, Adam Shaheen, Hunter Henry
Def: Titans

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:56 pm

A-train wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 pm The adam Shaheen owner just offered him to me for pick 34. Should I pull the trigger?
I would myself. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Not bad in a 20-team league, I think? Could be challenging to land a difference-making TE1 in a league that large, so you gotta roll the dice harder, I suppose.

Personally, I think the Trey Burton hype is a little bit overstated. He only ever splashed when Ertz was sidelined, and a TE with 4th percentile arm-length just doesn't seem bueno to me. Even a successful tweener at the position like Jordan Reed still has long arms.

Shaheen wasn't bad as a rookie. Making a huge jump in competition from D-2 ball at a position with a particularly steep learning curve, he still managed a decent PFF grade of 72.4. The potential in Shaheen's profile is real. I just don't know if the Bears truly envision him as a featured pass-catcher at any point.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE