Legend
Legend

Re: Gronk to retire?

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 am

TheEastWest wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 am
JFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 am
TheEastWest wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 pm

FYI, Carmichael was a WR .
I offered the #6 for Gronk , the owner let the offer sit for 3 days without any reply so I yanked my offer.. My guess is he plays next year but after that who knows ..
You offered the 1.06 from this years draft class for Gronk? And, you are surprised you got no response?

I’m not surprised in the least bit and I know that’s a perceived lowball offer to many but in my league that’s the best offer he will receive .. It’s very possible Gronk only plays 1 more year and good chance he gets hurt while doing so ..
Truthfully I was on the fence even offering the #6 as it would frown my day if I traded any 1st only for Gronk to hang the cleats in the coming months.
Hate to break it to you but the days of owners paying top dollar are long gone !
How high of a pick would you trade for Gronk?

Yeah, I agree with you on this one. Now, once we get closer to the season or into the season, then that’s a different story. Right now, there’s just too much uncertainty to pay much for Gronk, imo.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 am

I think the main point here is that it would be hard for anyone to totally dismiss the retirement talk at this point. None of that is to say he will or he wont but it definitely will play a role in what people think he is worth. Also believe that Gronk's 'retirement' is much different than other NFL guys. He will have some type of relevant 2nd career in my opinion. Couple that with his injuries, yea i could buy that retirement is truly on the table. That doesnt mean its probable but i do think its an option. If owned Gronk, there is no way i would try to move him. I would just ride it out.I can also say i wouldnt be very comfortable offering up the 1.06 for him either.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 am
IBall2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 am
jtsmalls wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 am I hope he retires and then they sign trey burton.....c'mon doooo it!
This is an interesting take. If the Pats go out and get a FA TE or draft one, that could lead us to believe he truly is thinking about retiring this year or next year.
Sure. It actually could lead us to believe a few different things if we are being intellectually honest. They are addressing improvements in depth at a position that takes a lot of punishment. Doesn't every single team in the NFL address its roster by adding depth or talent when and were possible. Gronk could easily play for 3-5 more years. Or, he could retire tomorrow. Off season coach speak, over emotional comments made shortly after a SB loss... man, rumors fly on this site and people love running with them.
I don't think his comments had anything to do with the SB loss, which is what a lot of people seem to be hung up on. That wasn't an off the cuff response, he was caught off guard by a question about a private conversation he had with a teammate.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:10 pm

No player ever says, "I might retire" and then actually retires that year. It always takes at least 2 or 3 after the "might retire" talk (if not more).

Look at JJ Watt, excellent example and they are practically twins. Watt floated the idea last year or two years ago? Now he wants that limelight back that he's lost
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Well, How confident are you that you'll get a startable / quality player with that 1.06 pick. If history has anything to say, you stand a slightly better than a 50% shot at hitting or missing on a player. The 1.06 for Gronk straight up is an offensive offer. I'd have told you to %$%^ off most likely. I see it as a sketchy move. Anyone worth their salt in this hobby, won't be taken advantage of by people that come out with offers like that. I'm not saying you should have offered 3 firsts, but, in light of this mostly exaggerated non news, news - give me a frickin break. Then, to read on and see you were hesitant to offer the 1.06 even.... huh? Why even send the offer then? Jeez, just let it go and don't send it. That is ridiculous.

Wowzers. It's like a dead animal getting circled by vultures. Everyone wants to strike panic, get a huge discount, take advantage of owners falling for group think thanks to media. What a joke.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:20 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 am
dynastyninja wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 am
JFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 am smh. Its as if we invent drama to talk about. I think (and of course I could be wrong), but, this is just something that happens now. We make mountains out of molehills. Unfortunately, it is the norm. It hasn't always been. It is a rumor until we hear something of some merit or legitimacy. All speculation from a bored fantasy community. I own Gronk in 1 out of my 6 leagues. If people are really out there selling him for 1.06 type picks because of this rumor, it is a shame.
Gronk has very clearly considered retirement. He acknowledged it himself. It's not just some beat writer trying to get clicks, though multiple credible media members have reported on it.
Ok. Devil's advocate here... (like I said, I own Gronk in 1 of my 6 total leagues - so, I have about a 16% investment). dynastyninja, considering all things that have been said by Gronk himself and the media, DO YOU believe it is more probable that he (Gronk) retires or, despite what you've heard from the media and Gronk himself, do you believe it to be more probable that Gronk plays? Simple question.

I'm quite aware that Gronk has publicly said that he was considering the end of his career. I still say - So What? I'm also quite sure that most of these rich, talented athletes are divas. I tend to take what they say lighter than what they do. Do you remember how many years Favre was "considering retirement"?
I think he plays this year and maybe one more, but after that I'd be surprised if he stays.

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm

I feel like Gronk will play as long as Brady is there. If Brady retires/leaves, I think Gronk will than retire.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 pm
IBall2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 am

This is an interesting take. If the Pats go out and get a FA TE or draft one, that could lead us to believe he truly is thinking about retiring this year or next year.
Sure. It actually could lead us to believe a few different things if we are being intellectually honest. They are addressing improvements in depth at a position that takes a lot of punishment. Doesn't every single team in the NFL address its roster by adding depth or talent when and were possible. Gronk could easily play for 3-5 more years. Or, he could retire tomorrow. Off season coach speak, over emotional comments made shortly after a SB loss... man, rumors fly on this site and people love running with them.
I don't think his comments had anything to do with the SB loss, which is what a lot of people seem to be hung up on. That wasn't an off the cuff response, he was caught off guard by a question about a private conversation he had with a teammate.
I'm sorry, do you have a source for this? Because I haven't read anything that credibly reports that this was a thing before he was asked after the super bowl.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 pm

I don't recall it either. If there was a conversation, it was private. There was no buzz about the 28 year old Gronk retiring prior to the SB, at least that I'm aware of. Now, a few unsupported blips here and there and we have people justifying offering a 1.06 rookie pick for him. Man, everyone wants to be the shark vs the minnow. The 1.06 in this years draft seems to me to be the beginning of the 2nd tier as well.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 pm

^^^ we don't agree on much but we agree on this . I would ride him into retirement before I sold for the 1:6 , People throw generational talent label around on this site - like spare change at the march of dimes fundraiser but that neanderthal is a true generational talent and should be held on to with a clenched fist .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:09 am

grooner wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm I feel like Gronk will play as long as Brady is there. If Brady retires/leaves, I think Gronk will than retire.
I agree with this.
clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 pm ^^^ we don't agree on much but we agree on this . I would ride him into retirement before I sold for the 1:6 , People throw generational talent label around on this site - like spare change at the march of dimes fundraiser but that neanderthal is a true generational talent and should be held on to with a clenched fist .
How much is Gronk being a generational talent vs Gronk has been locked in with the GOAT QB in a system that utilizes the TE? I am not saying he isn't great, he is 100% a complete TE as in he is an excellent blocker along with his receiving skills but he wasn't even the first TE taken in his draft class. Jermaine Gresham was taken ~25 players before him. Of course we will never know the answer, but I think being with Brady clearly helps pushes him up a fair bit.

Edit: of course Brady wasn't drafted high in his draft class but you get my point

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:41 am

he is 7th in YPC among active players ( the players ahead of him are all wr next closest te is 28th on the list
4th among active players in rec tds the 3 ahead of him were all drafted at least 4 years sooner 2 are cinch HoFers the 3rd likely will be as well and is a stud blocking td - he is generational without question maximized by playing with a sensational qb .
Would antonio gates be where he is w/o rivers ? would marvin harrison have done what he did w/o manning ? not really sure your point .
Lots of great players were drafted after mediocre or terrible players so really what is the point you are getting at?
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:50 am

I understand the words, and it's good to have differences in opinion to spark debate, but I couldn't disagree more.

I went to try to find stats of Gronk with and without Brady, as I didn't think there would be a difference but instead it through up the millions of articles about Brady with and without Gronk since 2010. Just remarkable. And reseeing some of the clips - like 3 defenders keying in on Gronk at the goal line leaving Vereen open to walk in (v the Texans?).

Generational talent almost does Gronk disservice. The only negative for I can see are the injuries hampering playing time, and possibly not having much longer to play. Draft position is as much about the ability of scouts as it is the players? What point are you trying to make with Gresham??
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 am

bigchiefbc wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm
thebeast wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm sorry, do you have a source for this? Because I haven't read anything that credibly reports that this was a thing before he was asked after the super bowl.
https://www.boston.com/sports/new-engla ... l-contract
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

ttalbs
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ttalbs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:58 am

Oddball456 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:09 am
grooner wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm I feel like Gronk will play as long as Brady is there. If Brady retires/leaves, I think Gronk will than retire.
I agree with this.
clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 pm ^^^ we don't agree on much but we agree on this . I would ride him into retirement before I sold for the 1:6 , People throw generational talent label around on this site - like spare change at the march of dimes fundraiser but that neanderthal is a true generational talent and should be held on to with a clenched fist .
How much is Gronk being a generational talent vs Gronk has been locked in with the GOAT QB in a system that utilizes the TE? I am not saying he isn't great, he is 100% a complete TE as in he is an excellent blocker along with his receiving skills but he wasn't even the first TE taken in his draft class. Jermaine Gresham was taken ~25 players before him. Of course we will never know the answer, but I think being with Brady clearly helps pushes him up a fair bit.

Edit: of course Brady wasn't drafted high in his draft class but you get my point
His back injury caused him to slip into the 2nd round.