Evan Engram value?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Evan Engram value?

Postby CK_ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:28 am

I see 64rec 640yds as a rookie TE pre OBJ in a downright anemic offense. So yeah I am hopeful and can easily see an increase on someone that learned how to block and took his job very seriously his rookie year. That's rare.

If I can buy for 1.05 or later then it's a steal in my league. I also would base your rating in your own league. Value where Gronk, Kelce, and Ertz would be valued at.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:07 pm

You could be right. He could be the next true TE1 in dynasty. If you are right, you are a head of the curve and hit big on a mid to late first last year. You went with your gut, were correct, and will be better off for drafting your guy. Well done. It is fun and rewarding to hit on later picks that you have a "feeling" on. This could be the case here. Or, it may be some smoke and mirrors or it more than likely is something in the middle. Typically, things are never quite as bad or as good as they seem. Most often than not, things trend back toward the mean. And this is kinda my point in this discussion. Something to think about - while trying to be as non biased as possible. For owners, I'm sure this is hard - But, if I'm understanding this correctly. He was "the" only real offensive play maker for a very large % of the 2017 season on a $%^&&*% offense. Not 100% sure on these numbers but - He had 115 targets and that turned into 64 rec, for a 10 ypr avg so 640 yds.... I just don't see him being quite as special as some here. My experience in this pastime tells me that he will likely disappear for long stretches. He'll be a boom, bust player in Shurmur's offense. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:21 pm

For me it's less about how good or bad I think Engram is and just more about how I view and value the TE position in general. If I'm dropping a super early 1st on a TE I'd rather go after a more proven asset like Kelce to be honest.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:38 am

Sorry for the confusion. I was just talking about the numbers he was averaging pre OBJ injury. It was 4/40. So he would've rounded out the year at 64/640. He ended the year with 64/722/6. I just see people bring up how will he do with OBJ back and all it does is help him and OBJ. If he was going for a 600+ yd rookie season as a TE then I have high hopes for the dude. Especially with his insane work ethic.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 am

For Engram's sake, and I guess for the sake of his very hopefully owners and fans, The Giants better do something about their O-line issues and running game. I like his skill set and he did have a real nice and very surprising rookie season. The stars had to align though. It wasn't JUST OBJ that was injured. It was a complete @#$% show of a running game. There was next to zero #2 wr consistency, and at times NO true #3 wr due to injury. I mean.... How am I the only one that sees what happened in NY last year that contributed to an inept offense leaning on one of their ONLY offensive mismatches. Engram lined up at TE around 70% of the time - in which case normal defenses would likely be happy to force HIM and ELI to beat them. How'd that work out for the Giants? Not too good if memory serves. Sure, for fantasy purposes it helped Engram that he was often covered by an outside backer, safety or #3 or 4 corner. How is this not understood? If they have a normal balanced offense (assuming that is what Shurmur's been brought in for) - Engram is less of a focal point, their offense is less predicable, pass distribution is spread out, OBJ gets his 150ish targets, the running game takes pressure off the pass rush, and - the Giants likely win a few more games. In real NFL football (not fantasy) Shurmur isn't going to want to have his offense run through Eli's passes to Engram. I see it as common sense. But, I have no horse in this race. Not a Giants fan in the least and I don't own Engram. I simply doubt very much that he is in the top 4-5 with targets again anytime soon.

Side note, if Engram is worth the 1.03 for some. What is Gronk worth? 2 early firsts? 3? Kelce, is he worth 3 early firsts then cuz he is younger than Gronk? I mean.... the 1.03 for a 2nd year TE coming from that situation is just a lot of wishful thinking. TE career length typically spans into their early to mid 30's before a noticeable decline ensues. I see that some are projecting a career arch that just builds and continues to improve. That could happen, sure. That is a bit glass half full though.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:17 pm

bump for review
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:37 pm

I think he's worth an early first still,I mean Guice, michel and Penny are hurt and rojo looks bad so far soooo his value had to move up relative to them. Given johnson and freeman looked good but I dont think id take one of them over him

Snake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Snake » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:38 pm

I sold home before the draft for 1.06 and ended up with Michel. Looking back, I wish I’d kept Engram.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:17 pm

Engram has had a string of games recently as the team's leader in targets (or tied for it), and that ignores his 160 yard 2 TD game.

In a year where nearly all TEs have been disappointing, Engram's featured role have gotten people to say he's a top 6 dynasty TE.

Curious if he returns to Jacksonville as a 2023 FA.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:34 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:17 pm Engram has had a string of games recently as the team's leader in targets (or tied for it), and that ignores his 160 yard 2 TD game.

In a year where nearly all TEs have been disappointing, Engram's featured role have gotten people to say he's a top 6 dynasty TE.

Curious if he returns to Jacksonville as a 2023 FA.
Completely agree. He’s a top 6 TE is he re-signs in JAX. For him it was a great one year contract that may turn into something else but for him.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

j4pac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby j4pac » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:34 pm

I honestly think it’s Lawrence. He’s making guys like Zay Jones look like a superstar. It’d definitely be in his interest to resign. If I’m the Jags, I’m still getting an in-line TE
SF, PPR, 12 team, 12 player dynasty

QB- Lawrence, Fields, Tannehill (max 2 keepers, 3 rostered)
RB- Bijan Robinson, T Pollard, Allgeier, Charbonnet, Achane, J Wilson, Kelley, K Williams
WR- Lamb, Jeudy, Hill, C Olave, A Pierce, Shaheed, Bourne
TE- Goedert, Musgrave

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:55 pm

j4pac wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:34 pm I honestly think it’s Lawrence. He’s making guys like Zay Jones look like a superstar. It’d definitely be in his interest to resign. If I’m the Jags, I’m still getting an in-line TE
Lawrence is a key part of it as is the design of the offense. Engram is destroying ETN's pass catching value.

Impossible to predict if JAX offers him a deal he likes. But as an owner, I hope he stays there. If he doesn't he returns right back to what he was before the start of this season - a TE you can own and pray he is start-worthy. That's the case for most TEs honestly. The position is the thorn in the side of most fantasy owners other than those with Kelce and Andrews.

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:21 pm

Top 6 still feels a bit Rich to me. But he's definitely recouped a lot of the value he's lost over the last couple years.

Andrews, Pitts, Kelce, hock, goedert pat F, and kittle I'd easily take over him. But if you put him at 8 or maybe over one of those guys at 7 I can't really argue it too hard. He's much more in that next tier of njoku, Schultz, waller, dulcich, maybe kmet types

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:25 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:21 pm But if you put him at 8 or maybe over one of those guys at 7 I can't really argue it too hard. He's much more in that next tier of njoku, Schultz, waller, dulcich, maybe kmet types
If I understand what you're saying, I agree. IMO after a few guys (most of the ones you mention) it just becomes a mishmash of crap. I have no idea what Kmet or Irv Smith or Engram is really worth. All I know is that Engram is outproducing those guys so for right now he is nice to own. That could revert back to nearly nothing in a heartbeat if he isn't on JAX.

willistylz1979
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby willistylz1979 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:04 am

As a Giants fan it’s definitely a gut punch that he’s playing so well now. I think with the new coaching staff and completely different offensive philosophy Engram would have been a godsend this year for us. Just curious how may drops does he have this year? This was the one thing that drove us Giants fans crazy!
12 Team MFL Classic League PPR
1-QB, 1-3 RB, 1-3 WR, 1-3 TE, Flex RB/WR/TE
QB- Stafford, Bryce
RB- Swift, Pierce, Hunt, CEH
WR- A.J Brown, Diggs, Godwin, Flowers, Pickens, Mims, Beckham, Demario Douglas, Shakir, Wicks
TE- Freiermuth, Kmet, Mayer
Picks - 1.04 2.04 3.04

10 Team MFL Classic League PPR
QB: Herbert, Tua
RB: Barkley, Dillon, Achane, Akers, D.Harris
WR: Godwin, Jefferson, DeVonta, C.Watson, Ridley, Jamo, Sutton, E.Moore, M.Williams, Gabe D
TE: Kelce, Mayer
Own all my 24-25 Picks

10 Team MFL Classic League PPR
QB- Love, DJ
RB- Jacobs, J.Cook, Tank, Mattison
WR- Chase, Evans, Pittman, Bateman, Cooper, MT, Mike Williams, T.Burks, Skyy, G. Pickens, M.Wilson
TE- Laporta, Njoku
Own all my 24-25 Picks