SF start-up strat w/ update and draft link

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Re: SF start-up strat

Postby Weeman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 pm

I just did a SF & grabbed Wilson and Watson at the 12,13 spots!! I'd recommend going QB back to back early. It's set it and forget longterm, goodluck trading for an elite one after the draft. My league was TE premium so I grabbed a few solid TE's later I can slide into the SF spot if needed- while taking value from the position then grabbed rookie picks to grab other QB prospects.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am

Everyone says to go QB/QB, but I think the most important thing (which has been mentioned) is to be responsive to your draft. Clearly that's always true in a startup, it's just more so in a superflex because of the dreaded QB run. An ideal place to pick from is the 5, 6 or 7 spot, in my opinion, since it leaves the smallest gap between your picks. The absolute worst places to pick from are the 1 and 12 spots, for the same reason. Along these same lines, I also like the strategy of trading out of the 1st round of a SF startup to get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds - maybe include a few trade-ups from the later rounds too, if you can. This is where you can get solid back-end WR1s or RB1s while landing something like Cousins+Stafford as your QBs. Obviously that doesn't always work, but if you can swing it I like it.

Obviously you value QBs more than in a 1QB league, but don't go into your draft locked into a plan like that. I mean, if you're picking 9th and 8 QBs go off the board before you, you should obviously take OBJ over the QB9.

The team that won my startup SF league last season did it on the back of taking Wentz and Smith later. I came in 3rd, and a lot of that was because I took Brady later. Mahomes and Watson were both taken with mid-round rookie 1sts, which also went later in the startup draft. On the other hand, Luck and ARod didn't do a whole lot for teams that took them in the early 1st.

It's not that radical of a change, but I would use a rule of thumb along the lines of "come out of the first four rounds with two QBs" rather than two QBs in the first two rounds. But always try to maximize flexibility in a SF startup.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 am

Phaded wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 pm There is a lot about this draft I cannot believe. 8 players going before Wilson is right up there.

Are there a lot of new Superflex owners in this league?
Possibly. It's a Quest league, so hard to tell. I only know or have played with 3 or 4 of them before.

Crazylegs
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Crazylegs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm

A lot of interesting and helpful advice in this thread. A little different question, but still on topic I believe. Anyone know of any Dynasty podcasts that are Superflex only or focus heavily on Superflex content?

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: SF start-up strat w/ update and draft link

Postby Ghosted » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 am

So, now that the draft has concluded, I figured I'd first like to say thank you to everyone that threw some feedback my way that had participated in SF leagues before. It was a lot of help, and overall I found it to be really insightful.

Secondly, I thought I'd share some of my impressions - I decided to go QB/QB, and honestly, it just kind of fell that way. I digested the opinions of others, and tried to marry them w/ my rankings and analysis, but ultimately I just went with who I felt was the best value in the early rounds and it happened to be QB/QB. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but I felt like it freed me up tremendously to target falling players that I liked at other positions, while others were scrambling. Overall, it left me with what I consider to be a deep, insulated team, but one that has high risk components and isn't overly talented or what my eyes tell me is what championship teams usually look like (from my experience in other leagues - which granted aren't SF leagues, either). Obviously there's still plenty of time to shape rosters, though.

The link to the league was dropped a few posts ago, just in case anyone was curious about where guys were going in a draft this early.