2018 Rookie WR discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

2018 Rookie WR discussion

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 am

Have really enjoyed all of the insights and info shared in the 2018 Rookie RB discussion. So thought we could get the ball rolling on the 2018 Rookie WR as well.

Think that the 2018 RBs have more name-recognition and we have more familiarity with them, as many were on some really good teams (Penn State, Georgia, etc.), which had nationally-televised games. Most of the top WRs, other than Ridley, tend to have played for "less competitive" teams, meaning we saw less of them. Again, that's just a very lay insight...

WalterFootball.com has a pretty good write-up of the 2018 WR class. Link: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php

I've only watched some film of Courtland Sutton and a few Alabama games involving Calvin Ridley.

Courtland Sutton. Good size, good hands, wouldn't be surprised if he ran a sub 4.50. From a smaller school. Decent floor, decent ceiling. Don't think he will be a WR1, but probably a good career.

Calvin Ridley. His footwork is just great. Good hands. Only about 185 lbs. Not sure what role he will play in the NFL with that size.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: 2018 Rookie WR discussion

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:43 am

The lack of response is funny. I think most people, like me, are pretty focused on hitting on backs. I've barely looked at receivers.

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am

I'll contribute to the conversation, I think everyone is going RB crazy this year based on the results of the RB's last year. If you look at the DLF mock from the other day it was very RB heavy.

Thus my thinking is WR's are going to fall to the second, and that is where the real value will be. Deon Cain is a guy I like, prior to the year St. Brown was a projected top dynasty pick, and I believe he has fell (I could be wrong).

I agree with the OP, that there has been a lack of discussion of the WR group, this is why I think it'll be a time to strike. They are being overly slept on. As for your assessment of Sutton, I think you are spot on! A 6'4 WR is on my radar anyday. I didn't realize Ridley was so small, which is a shame as he looked really good in the games I seen (Clemson/Georgia).
12 team, 1PPR: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex
QB: Brees, Smith, Bortles,
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews
TE: Kittle, Eifert, Brate, McDonald, J. James
IR: K. Dixon, Jermey Hill

2019 Picks: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th
2020 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:58 am

People are splooging themselves with the back class. If your team has WR need and you have a late 1st, you're in luck as a WR that would go pick 2 or 5 most years is about to fall into your lap

My league had a rush on RBs last year, and next year will be even more so. I took Corey Davis at 3, John Ross went like 2.6, and then I took JuJu at 2.10 8-) You can't not be happy on that value
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:13 am

Haven't watched any film, but I like what I hear. I loaded up on RB last year in my home league and now need to shore up my WRs with a late 1st (although I have two first in 2019 which I hear is even more loaded at WR).

The most buzz I've heard are the names you mentioned Sutton, Ridley, and ESB (not gonna even try to type that one out). For those that do devy, my best way of comparing a current class is to slot in the previous class into it (pre-season) that allows you to see how you valued a guy before you had NFL tape on him and see the outcome, and then project how the true rookies will fair.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:20 am

gausec wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am I'll contribute to the conversation, I think everyone is going RB crazy this year based on the results of the RB's last year. If you look at the DLF mock from the other day it was very RB heavy.

Thus my thinking is WR's are going to fall to the second, and that is where the real value will be. Deon Cain is a guy I like, prior to the year St. Brown was a projected top dynasty pick, and I believe he has fell (I could be wrong).

I agree with the OP, that there has been a lack of discussion of the WR group, this is why I think it'll be a time to strike. They are being overly slept on. As for your assessment of Sutton, I think you are spot on! A 6'4 WR is on my radar anyday. I didn't realize Ridley was so small, which is a shame as he looked really good in the games I seen (Clemson/Georgia).
With the way I think the NFL is currently trending, I prefer shorter receivers. Tall, jump ball guys are going out of style. Teams want someone who can get open easily. The easiest way to overcome not having an elite quarterback is a good running game and precise route-runners. This year's playoffs are a great example. Teams like Minnesota, Jacksonville, and Kansas City have built great teams without a stud QB (defense has obviously been really important).

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 am

Why not much response? Because on page 2, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=153538&start=45

Merge
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am

dynastyninja wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:20 am
gausec wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am I'll contribute to the conversation, I think everyone is going RB crazy this year based on the results of the RB's last year. If you look at the DLF mock from the other day it was very RB heavy.

With the way I think the NFL is currently trending, I prefer shorter receivers. Tall, jump ball guys are going out of style. Teams want someone who can get open easily. The easiest way to overcome not having an elite quarterback is a good running game and precise route-runners. This year's playoffs are a great example. Teams like Minnesota, Jacksonville, and Kansas City have built great teams without a stud QB (defense has obviously been really important).
Interesting observation. Zigging when everyone is zagging. I've noticed that CBs are getting smaller while being more athletic maybe to combat this small WR trend. Once defenses adapt, you'll probably see the trend swing back to big WRs.
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 am

I don't know that big WRs who can snag 50/50 balls are "going out of style". It's just that it can't be their only skill; they also need to be able to separate whether it's by great route-running or playing physically. A good example would be Corey Davis vs Mike Williams from the 2017 class.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Just wait until '19 :D

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 am

I don't know that big WRs who can snag 50/50 balls are "going out of style". It's just that it can't be their only skill; they also need to be able to separate whether it's by great route-running or playing physically. A good example would be Corey Davis vs Mike Williams from the 2017 class.
I get what you're saying, but that is essentially what I meant by "going out of style." If a receiver is primarily a jump ball guy then they're not going to be very likely to succeed in the NFL. Separation and shiftiness are way more important.

A 6'4" guy will be more valuable than a 5'11" guy if everything else is identical, but typically a shorter receiver is going to be able to change directions more easily than a taller one because they are lower to the ground and have less body mass to move. The Patriots have been doing it for a few years now. All of their main receivers are shorter guys who can get open. Other teams won't have a game changer like Gronk, but it's still an excellent strategy. Brady is able to make the difficult throws, but he doesn't have to as often because there's almost always someone open.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Early stock up sleeper is Central Oklahoma's Josh Crockett after his performance at the Dream Bowl. Rumors swirling he is potentially in the conversation to be drafted. Came out of no where given the fact that he wasn't even the top receiver on his own D2 team.

Crockett is a precise route runner standing at 6'2 190. He posted a 4.51 40 time, 11'1 broad jump, and 41' vertical leap. The metrics pass the test and watching the film he looks like Landry on some of these screen passes, has demonstrated good hands hauling in some long balls, and definitely breaks tackles for extra yardage. Definitely a name to keep an eye on.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm in bad need of wr as well but think I may be better off to take best rb and trade them or trade picks

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Seems to be a relatively weak class so far, ton of buzz about the RBs and QBs but WR + TE discussion has been pretty barren.

As of today, from what I've seen:

"Sure-fire" 1st Rounders:
Ridley (ALA)
Sutton (SMU)

1st or 2nd Rounders
Washington (Okla State)

Other guys getting decent buzz:
- Kirk (A&M): not sure how I feel about him, really good young breakout age but I don't watch A&M games...not sure I'm buying the 1st RD hype I've seen in some recent mock drafts.
- Gallup (CSU): has been a monster for two years at Colorado State, went to Juco first. Don't know much about him other than a lot of people like him I think.
- Anthony Miller (MEM)/DJ Moore (Maryland): appear to be great route runners and great in space. Moore has picked up a lot of steam recently.
- Deon Cain: probably just put him here b/c Clemson has put out a lot of WR and he'll probably get his chance.

Big guys with okay - meh stats:
- Auden Tate (FSU)
- Lazard (ISU)
- Equa St. Brown (ND)
- Simmie Cobbs (IU)
- Marcell Ateman (Okla State)

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Watch this end up being a great WR class....