New Coach in Tenn - Yay? Or Nay?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: New Coach in Tenn - Yay? Or Nay?

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Not sure how McDaniels would've been good for Henry. Dude comes from a pass heavy RBBC system. Not at all what you want for Henry. Maybe Fisher comes back. :lol:
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Maybe Josh McDaniels will buck the trend but man it sure seems that most (not all) coaches that leave Bill Bellicheck to become a head coach end up flopping...hard. This includes McDaniels previously.

Edit: I'm aware how well Bill O'Brien has done (and of course Nick Saban).

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Brag post on my Mularkey prediction from when I traded for Mariota during his low stretch early in the 2016 season.
_yeti wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:08 pm PostTue Oct 04, 2016 2:08 pm

I know the level of commitment an organization has to a pick as high as Mariota. Rather take the dual threat QB for the longterm play. I think Mularkey is horrible for his stats and the passing game but will help him develop and then once he's fired in a year or two I will really reap the benefit then. They will eventually need to put together some actual WRs. I'm higher on QBs than most and willing to sit on him. Don't expect to ever play him this year.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm

This is a longer semi-brag post when I went down the rabbit hole of hating Mularkey (and being a DGB truther so take it with a grain of salt!). Spent too much time on that thread not to bring this back, but I don't blame anyone for skipping it.
TLDR: Mularkey is in the wrong era, he will bring Murray back to relevance, flirt with the playoffs, help Mariota develop, and then be fired.
_yeti wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:43 am
maxhyde wrote:
a_yeti wrote:Mularkey seems like a guy stuck in the wrong era, who gets people to buy into his tough guy old school talk but then is shown to be outdated when the chips are down. There is a reason the entire NFL is evolving away from his philosophy, namely that with the athletes that are in the NFL and the rules enabling the passing game, it is much less effective to try to just be a team that pounds the run. Defenses stack the box on you and your play action stuff with a motley crew of WRs isnt enough to keep them honest. You need sn elite line a good defense and everyone to BUY IN to the coach's philosophy. They will win some games, flirt with .500 and make Demarco Murray relevant again.

I can see why Mularkey is effective as a position coach, busting the TEs and Olines chops to make them tough as nails and win in the run game. That just isn't where the NFL is at at the head coach level. A head coach is really like a CEO. There is a massive amount of moving parts and you need to oversee it all and ensure it runs smoothly and puts out a winning product. To be blunt, he is not good at this.

As for the disciplinarian portion, I feel like there is a certain fetishism in the media and with fans reading about the "disciplining" of NFL athletes. I'm gonna be honest, I feel like there is definitely a racial component to how interested fans are in it and how much they obsess over it. You do not see it in sports where the athletes are not predominantly African-American. That is the truth. Also, a proven winning coach was ran out of town partially for treating his professional players like children. That coach was Jim Harbaugh in San Fran.

Now I cannot say with certainty that DGB is not a world class idiot who doesnt commit himself enough, because I dont have enough information. But I think Phaded has done a great job with the information we DO have of giving a rundown on DGB. I CAN say with certainty though that Mularkey is an idiot living in the wrong era and he will produce some mediocre results which will mainly benefit the RBs and will not make the Titans a relevant playoff team. Sure they might MAKE the playoffs finally in this year or the next, but that is more due to the parity forced by the NFL and the high picks in the draft from these past horrible seasons.
So this 'old school coaching' you are critiquing is the same as other coaches have done things for as long as I can remember.
Koetter did the EXACT same thing with ASJ and ASJ said it was a wake up call...does DGB not have a phone? or sleeping through the wake up call?
Belichick has no time for this garbage and doesn't even play that game...bench player, cut or trade...finito. Dobson is living it. I actually wouldnt be surprised if DGB wasn't on the Pats draft board at all
Harbaugh was run out of town and SF has been a dumpster fire since.

Just because we didn't read about a 1-1 sit down or pull aside with Mularkey and DGB doesn't mean it didn't happen before calling him out publicly. These guys aren't idiots despite your expertise in character/intelligence assessment and most have been coaching these pro athletes longer than you have been critiquing them from the keyboard. Pretty sure they are better equipped to judge DGB's character/value to their team better than any of us here
I don't disagree that the "old school" disciplinarian drill sergeant military style of coaching is more the rule than the exception. You won't see any Greg Jackson zen collaborative MMA trainer style coaching around football. Any of us that have played it know it's a cluster of swear words and rigorous discipline that is the rule. What I was referring to with Mularkey is that he couples this component to the extreme with an inflexible dedication "to be tougher and more physical" than his opponents. The old leather helmet, "we're gonna slam it in there and they can know it's coming but we will be more physical and execute" type of football. This is dying in the NFL as the passing game takes hold as the norm. I said above, I believe Mularkey is well suited to get after TEs and the OLine as a position group coach but in the CEO role he has floundered horribly. This is an 18-39 career coach. If you take out the first year of head coaching when he went 9-7 he is 9-32 in his last seasons as a head coach. Tennesee fans are not happy to have him and he doesn't strike me as particularly smart. He knows football. He just insists on doing it his way and his way doesn't include players like DGB. He probably would have traded Terrell Owens and Randy Moss as well. Just because running Harbaugh out of town was stupid, it happened. To say the team has been bad after is irrelevant because I prefaced that by saying it happened to a GOOD head coach, which Mularkey is not. My point was if players will rebel and help force out a great head coach like Harbaugh, how long do we give Mularkey (who is a BAD head coach) until he is fired again and why are we acting like he is good at judging skill players? He's an OLine coach who has failed miserably when he has stepped out of that role

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 pm

To summarize - what a_yeti is saying is that now that Mularkey is gone, Dorial Green Beckham will be a success story in Tennessee. ;)

Seriously - kudos on predicting the departure of Mularkey - I think he might have lasted another year if he had been less stubborn / set in his ways. But some coaches can change (Coughlin) while others cannot.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:37 pm

I think he served them perfectly as they transitioned from doormat to possible contender. Get that disciplinarian, hard-nosed mindset in place, and then hopefully hire someone who will open up the passing game. Need Mariota and Davis to take the next step or it doesn't matter. This was a nugget I liked from a Jaguars page back in 2012:
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/1/11/ ... le-jaguars
You need not fear. Mularkey's offensive philosophy was becoming a terrible fit for the Falcons, who have dynamic receiving options and an aging, plodding running back. When I look at the Jaguars, I see a terrific fit.

Mularkey is great at developing a young quarterback. I give him a lot of credit for turning Matt Ryan into a top ten passer in today's NFL, and for his emphasis on short, accurate passing. He also gave Michael Turner an insane amount of run, simultaneously turning him into a franchise record holder and wearing him down. It's just that as the team evolved, Mularkey didn't evolve with it.

He's not perfect. In a few years, if your offense develops into something dynamic, you may come to loathe the fact that his offenses seem to turtle in big games.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 am

Maybe Mularkey can come to Seattle and coach-up our offensive line?

I'd like some smash-mouth philosophy for our O-linemen. Toughen up that group a little bit and maybe get some production for the ground game. And yes, reduce the ridiculous amount of penalties they had this year as well. Here's hoping!
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Rumours have Mike Vrabel as a candidate??

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/15/nfl-c ... see-titans
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 pm Rumours have Mike Vrabel as a candidate??

:shock: not sure how I feel about that. Actually, I'm pretty sure he's not the guy I want. I realize he's been coaching for a while, but want an offensive guy with more experience.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:32 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 pm Rumours have Mike Vrabel as a candidate??

:shock: not sure how I feel about that. Actually, I'm pretty sure he's not the guy I want. I realize he's been coaching for a while, but want an offensive guy with more experience.
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 am

jetsfan5757 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Vrabel would still hire an offensive coordinator...
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am

Might be willing to be fine with Vrabel as long as he hires Haley as the OC 😋
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 pm

CK_ wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am Might be willing to be fine with Vrabel as long as he hires Haley as the OC 😋
ditto
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:24 pm This is fantastic news for owners of Mariota, Corey Davis, and Henry.
Yes! I have Mariota and Davis, and when I'm thrilled. I have no idea what will happen, but hopefully they bring in someone who wants to pass the ball.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 pm

CK_ wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am Might be willing to be fine with Vrabel as long as he hires Haley as the OC 😋
The only share of the Titans I have is Taylor. I would be very happy.