divisional round discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: divisional round discussion

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

dm1129 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm ...and also has prepared/encouraged his coordinators to pursue HC jobs, it makes me believe Belichick is done at the end of the playoffs.
I don't know if that's how it will play out or not. But my understanding is that this is the first year BB has ever done this.

Kraft has already mentioned that there will be a "clear the air" meeting after the playoffs are over. Stay tuned.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm
dm1129 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm ...and also has prepared/encouraged his coordinators to pursue HC jobs, it makes me believe Belichick is done at the end of the playoffs.
I don't know if that's how it will play out or not. But my understanding is that this is the first year BB has ever done this.

Kraft has already mentioned that there will be a "clear the air" meeting after the playoffs are over. Stay tuned.
That is also what I heard. Anything is possible, but Belichick is notorious for holding grudges and it appears by his actions that his decision is already made(to me). It will be interesting.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Brady wasn't good with the deep ball at 25; age has little to do with his targeting accuracy w/ Cooks. I haven't noticed a discernible drop-off in arm strength at all, and I've probably watched 99% of every game throw he's ever attempted.

And Belichick loses assistants all of the time. Before them it was Weis and Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels (the first time), O'Brien and hell even Saban years ago. Don't read too much into that, peeps.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Ghosted wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm Brady wasn't good with the deep ball at 25; age has little to do with his targeting accuracy w/ Cooks. I haven't noticed a discernible drop-off in arm strength at all, and I've probably watched 99% of every game throw he's ever attempted.

And Belichick loses assistants all of the time. Before them it was Weis and Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels (the first time), O'Brien and hell even Saban years ago. Don't read too much into that, peeps.
I disagree. Brady could not make certain plays that two years ago I know he could. It is not a dramatic shift, but I am certain of it. Cooks deep was only one example. Concerning Belichick, it is reported that he has never prompted/prepared his coordinators for HC jobs yet he has done exactly that this year. Next year Belichick would be facing going into the season with a 41 year old QB and at best a developmental QB taken in the draft, new OC and DC. Combined with the fact that after the apparent disagreement with Kraft on who to keep at QB, he lets Garoppolo go for next to nothing. None of this is SOP for Belichick. I think he is gone at the end of the playoffs and tellls Kraft good luck.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:52 pm

I could see Bill riding out on top for sure. I kind of had that feeling after last year too. I think in many sports where there is one if the greatest, or the greatest, it is common to do so.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 pm

dm1129 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 pm
Ghosted wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm Brady wasn't good with the deep ball at 25; age has little to do with his targeting accuracy w/ Cooks. I haven't noticed a discernible drop-off in arm strength at all, and I've probably watched 99% of every game throw he's ever attempted.

I disagree. Brady could not make certain plays that two years ago I know he could. It is not a dramatic shift, but I am certain of it. Cooks deep was only one example. Concerning Belichick, it is reported that he has never prompted/prepared his coordinators for HC jobs yet he has done exactly that this year. Next year Belichick would be facing going into the season with a 41 year old QB and at best a developmental QB taken in the draft, new OC and DC. Combined with the fact that after the apparent disagreement with Kraft on who to keep at QB, he lets Garoppolo go for next to nothing. None of this is SOP for Belichick. I think he is gone at the end of the playoffs and tellls Kraft good luck.
It's really hard to debate vague, subjective examples, especially when you're debating someone who doesn't know the team nearly as well. You're certainly intitiled to your opinion of Brady's abilities, but I suspect you'd be on an island when talking to anyone else who has really followed him. It is widely known that he has always struggled with deep ball consistency, so I'm not even sure why that's worthy of a discussion. If you could cite specific examples, I'd love to hear them; maybe I'm blinded as a fan, who knows. Outsiders have had Belichick gone a few different times over the years because they are fed media-driven stories that grab headlines. This year won't be any different.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:33 pm

I have little faith in the Jaguars upsetting the Patriots. Their defense has an elite pass rush and can shut down an opponents top receivers, but they are vulnerable to the run and an underneath passing game. Unfortunately for them, this is something the Pats are pretty good at. Then the Pats will just wait for Bortles to make mistakes (he will almost certainly oblige) and that will be it. Fournette should have a good day though if the Jags stick with the run. The Pats run D has holes.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:54 pm

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Ghosted wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 pm
dm1129 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 pm

It's really hard to debate vague, subjective examples, especially when you're debating someone who doesn't know the team nearly as well. You're certainly intitiled to your opinion of Brady's abilities, but I suspect you'd be on an island when talking to anyone else who has really followed him. It is widely known that he has always struggled with deep ball consistency, so I'm not even sure why that's worthy of a discussion. If you could cite specific examples, I'd love to hear them; maybe I'm blinded as a fan, who knows. Outsiders have had Belichick gone a few different times over the years because they are fed media-driven stories that grab headlines. This year won't be any different.
You just assume you know more about Brady because you are a fan of the team, brilliant. That tellls me a lot about you. I could go into detail on why I feel the way I do and quickly get involved in a never-ending back and forth thread. I have no desire for that because I already know the result will be you saying, 'well you are entitled to your opinion'. Regarding Belichick, there has never been a time like this in his entire 18 years at NE. NE has been incredilbly disciplined when it comes to team/locker-room matters. The story by Seth Wickersham never would have occurred without Belichick allowing/wanting information to be leaked. So as you say, I think you are blinded as a fan because this situation with Belichick is unique this time. I am not foolish enough to say I know Belichick is leaving, but I think there is a very good/excellent chance of it.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:57 pm

I actually provided statiscal analysis, but sure, leave that part out. What other assumptions am I to go off of when you provide absolutely zero context to your gray, subjective analysis? I'm still waiting for something a little more specific that an 'eye test,' especially when it contradicts common belief around the league.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:17 pm

And Brady hurt his hand at practice.
Oh boy.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Not to dismiss the Brady talk and change direction again, but a comment above got me thinking. It was said that not too much should be made of the Vikings two wins vs the Pack and their road win (when the #1 + #2 seed was on the line) vs an Atlanta team that was also playing with playoff implications and seeding on the line. First, the reason the Vikings beat the Pack twice (without ARod) is because the Vikings pass rush was the very thing that led to the collar bone breaking. So... We can't really use those wins against them or minimize them, can we? Should we? Seems twisted to me to reduce or minimize a strength of a dominant team. Laughable that some think it was just luck that led to the Vikings beating the Saints. Was it too luck that shut out Brees in the entire first Half? Doubt it. The saints and Brees don't get shut out often. Why? Cuz it isn't easy to do. But, it was done. Brees is a first ballot HOFer, as is Brady. Brees is tough as nails and routinely puts up guady numbers and is frickin clutch, Particularly in playoff situations. It's as if stat spinning is taking on a new meaning around here. Comical.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 pmI can do that too.
The Saints should not have advanced, bottom line. They didn't hold a lead in the game once until 25 seconds were left on the clock, barely making it into field goal range on somewhat of a prayer of a 4th down throw. They blew their chance to get a simple first down that would have assured it was zero seconds left while their field goal sailed through. They then blew their defensive coverage, twice. They BLEW IT IN MULTIPLE WAYS.
We get it, not even the word homer applies to your fandom but the Vikings blew that game and should have lost. Let's just go ahead and discredit the Saints along with one of the best comebacks in playoff history. Yeah, the Saints didn't pick up a 1st down before their FG but who says that Diggs even gets out of bounds with the ~4 seconds that were left on the clock as he caught the ball followed by a semi-competent tackle from Williams or the fact that MIN would have had a what? 52 minimum yard FG attempt if he did get out?

MIN advanced on one of the worst defensive plays in recent memory, and some may say it's up there as one of the worst ever. Call it "playing through the whistle" or "never giving up" or "we practice it every week"....blah blah blah, it was luck.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Servo, not sure if your comment is meant to be serious? Im guessing you are so. By your standard then, what team doesn't get lucky in a close tough playoff game? Seems to me by the way you spell it out, that the Saints should be rewarded and applauded for their comeback, the reason however they had to make a comeback (a stiffeling Vikings def) should be ignored or minimized, and the Lucky Keenum to Diggs play had little to nothing to do with skill, practice, focus, grit, or ability, but much much more to do with a missed play by Williams. Hmm kay.

A wise man once said Luck is the residue of design. And, for clarity, the field goal, had Diggs got our of bounds at the spot he caught the pass, rather than scored, would have been a 50 yder and they'd likely would have had 3-4 sec on the clock had he dove out to sideline with ball. Vikings successfully hit on a 53 yder a bit earlier if memory serves. So, there is that. With all due respect to Brees and a very talented NO team, seems to me that it is fairly clear that the Saints got beat by a better team in that game, and it also can be said that they (the Saints) were the lucky ones to even be in that game toward the end. Fluky Blocked punt play that flipped field position and a cheap block by M.Thomas on Sendejo knocking him out of game and into concussion protocol comes to mind.... So, your going to stick with Vikings got lucky? Seems a touch oversimplified to me.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 am

I like Tom Brady, think he's great, but he can't throw a long ball worth a damn. He's great at 20 to 30 yard strikes... but ask him to send a rainbow 45-60 yards, and he becomes mediocre. Like many modern quarterbacks, he just hangs it up there and typically underthrows his guy. Hitting a receiver in stride with a long rainbow is a lost art.