League-Wide Offense

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

League-Wide Offense

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Was looking through stats and noticed that the league wide average for yards per play was 5.27, which is the lowest its's been since 2007 and a significant drop from last year (5.48). It's been over 5.40 every year since 2010 with th exception of 2013 when it was 5.36. Seems strange that offense just fell off this year and it's across the board. There was less passes per game (546.5 vs 571.7), less efficient passing (6.57 YPA vs 6.76 YPA), less efficient rushing (4.08 YPC vs 4.19 YPC). They're all down similar numbers compared to 2015 as well.

Just a blip? Are defenses catching up or are offenses just turning to garbage due to limited QB & O-Line talent?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: League-Wide Offense

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm Was looking through stats and noticed that the league wide average for yards per play was 5.27, which is the lowest its's been since 2007 and a significant drop from last year (5.48). It's been over 5.40 every year since 2010 with th exception of 2013 when it was 5.36. Seems strange that offense just fell off this year and it's across the board. There was less passes per game (546.5 vs 571.7), less efficient passing (6.57 YPA vs 6.76 YPA), less efficient rushing (4.08 YPC vs 4.19 YPC). They're all down similar numbers compared to 2015 as well.

Just a blip? Are defenses catching up or are offenses just turning to garbage due to limited QB & O-Line talent?
There's definitely been a downtick in offensive production this year, especially in passing offenses. I think it's a combination of defenses improving and a lot of offenses taking a step backwards.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Dont forget the # of elite or higher level QBs who missed games (as well as top level talents at other positions). Not sure what the injury rates were this year compared to previous years - but surely having Luck, Rodgers, Watson & Wentz for full seasons would have given it a positive bump?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:06 pm

I'd say it's a combination of three factors.

1. Injuries, plenty of studs across every offensive position (including OL) got hurt this year and missed some sort of time.
2. Great defensive play, a lot of teams drafted some talented defensive guys this year and teams seemed to improve almost across the board
3. More backfield committees, most teams have moved to more of committee approach to their backfield and as such RBs tend to be. healthier, easier to replace, and fresher throughout the season, it lets teams run a lot more and that puts a ceiling on the offensive output.

There's probably other reasons but I think those 3 are probably the biggest.
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 pm

ArrylT wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 pm Dont forget the # of elite or higher level QBs who missed games (as well as top level talents at other positions). Not sure what the injury rates were this year compared to previous years - but surely having Luck, Rodgers, Watson & Wentz for full seasons would have given it a positive bump?
I don't think so. Watson was a rookie & Wentz wasn't very good last year, so I don't think either of them had much impact in year over year results. Luck & Rodgers certainly had an impact, but QBs get injured. Luck was out or worthless pretty much all of 2015 and the regression of 2017 vs 2015 is largely the same.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:05 am

i think it was mostly injury based.

Luck
Rodgers
Carr (hurt back missed a game seemed not on his game all year)
Watson
Wentz(although only missed the last 2 games)

ARob
OBJ
Marshall
Edleman
Garcon

David Johnson
Elliot (suspension)

Eifert

Lots of big names missed a lot of the season or all of it.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 am

I think a good bit of it can be attributed to the piss poor Oline classes of late (other than 2016, 2017 was atrocious) and a surprisingly high amount of very very talented defensive players coming out across all levels (pass rush, interior run stuff, Lbs, soooooooooo many DBs)

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 am

As aspect people are forgetting (I fully agree with the injuries being a big reason, as does the exapanded role of the RB not just being a between the tackles bruiser anymore) in the yards per completion being down are that there are more good shutdown, or close to, corners in the league.

It used to be cool, Revis and Sherman were novelties that could go toe to toe with the best receivers in the game, but now there's maybe a dozen guys in the league as good or better than 07-11 Revis. What this is attired to I can't say, but Xhavier Rhodes for example makes it impossible to use a WR1 against the Vikings and he's not really a one of a kind corner (even if I feel he is #1, there's comparable guys you game plan against similarly)

Offensive coordinators are adjusting to not being able to hit the deep ball as often, and going for shorter passes to move the chains and hopefully let their athletic WRs run more after the catch.
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 am As aspect people are forgetting (I fully agree with the injuries being a big reason, as does the exapanded role of the RB not just being a between the tackles bruiser anymore) in the yards per completion being down are that there are more good shutdown, or close to, corners in the league.

It used to be cool, Revis and Sherman were novelties that could go toe to toe with the best receivers in the game, but now there's maybe a dozen guys in the league as good or better than 07-11 Revis. What this is attired to I can't say, but Xhavier Rhodes for example makes it impossible to use a WR1 against the Vikings and he's not really a one of a kind corner (even if I feel he is #1, there's comparable guys you game plan against similarly)

Offensive coordinators are adjusting to not being able to hit the deep ball as often, and going for shorter passes to move the chains and hopefully let their athletic WRs run more after the catch.
Yep, going off the top of my head
Ramsey
Bouye
Pat Pete
Rhodes
Lattimore
White was up there I think
Norman still pretty good
Butler
Talib
Chris Harris
Heyward(LAC)
Slay

While there not all shutdown I’d say pat Pete, Rhodes, Ramsey/bouye, talib/Harris, lattimore are without a doubt