Panthers Offseason

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Panthers Offseason

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am

Word on the street is that Norv Turner is likely to be the next offensive coordinator.

Having watched him in Minnesota last season, I'm not liking this hire. Norv stubbornly stuck to his seven step drop pass offense when it was clear the o-line could not support it. If he does the same with Cam, who already likes the shotgun plus a few steps drop, it could be a disaster as Carolina's o-line doesn't seem to do that well in pass protection with Cam's deep pocket.

I also don't think Carolina has the speed at WR for longer, deeper routes. They may be planning on adding speed & changing up the OL this offseason, but I'm still concerned for Panthers dynasty players.

Anyone else?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Panthers Offseason

Postby Jfever » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 am

Agree on all accounts Pac. Seems to be a strange hire. Norv is like 65-66 years old. Tough to teach an old dog new tricks. Norv didn't work out in Mn after the O-line injuries started to mount up last year. He was a nice fit early on however. I think he left when the Vikings were like 5-2 or something like that. This hire in Carolina has me scratching my head. Maybe it'll make more sense as the off season unfolds and they add pieces that fit Norv's typical scheme.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Curtis Samuel time...
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 pm

They were on staff together in SD, and are friends. For some strange reason, Norv still carries a good deal of respect around the league. I honestly didn't think he would come back to the league but it was pretty easy to connect the dots.

NanceUSMC
Role Player
Role Player

Postby NanceUSMC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 am Word on the street is that Norv Turner is likely to be the next offensive coordinator.

Having watched him in Minnesota last season, I'm not liking this hire. Norv stubbornly stuck to his seven step drop pass offense when it was clear the o-line could not support it. If he does the same with Cam, who already likes the shotgun plus a few steps drop, it could be a disaster as Carolina's o-line doesn't seem to do that well in pass protection with Cam's deep pocket.

I also don't think Carolina has the speed at WR for longer, deeper routes. They may be planning on adding speed & changing up the OL this offseason, but I'm still concerned for Panthers dynasty players.

Anyone else?
Carolina has the speed, it's just injured and unproven (Curtis Samuel, Damiere Byrd)... Both Byrd and Samuel will be back filling larger roles on the offense, but it is of course fair to question how much of an impact they'll have... The main priority for the offseason (aside from selling the team, of course) should be to land a capable and experienced WR that can either be the unquestioned #1, or push Funchess to blossom in the role...

You've also likely seen JStew play his last game for Carolina, so a pounding RB will be needed (cutting him saves around $3.5M)... CAP has not shown he's ready to take over the role and flourish, so that leaves CMC and Whittaker being the primary carriers... They'll have to add another, that's more of a power runner, as the power run game is what the offense is predicated on...

Olsen should continue to be solid, and heavily targeted, but he's also starting to show wear and tear, and at 32 years old, don't be shocked if he starts to slow down a good bit... The team will have to start looking to add youth into the position... But it's possible that waits a year...

Don't expect massive changes for the OL (this year)... This is an expensive unit, and there are pro bowlers at 4 of the 5 OL positions (Norwell, Turner, R Kalil and M Kalil), with the RT Williams being viewed as a solid, up and coming, young RT... THAT SAID.............. The OL does struggle to protect Newton for long stretches, and the run game has suffered to find adequate running lanes... M Kalil showed improvement as the season went on, but unless he improves remarkably in 2018, I'd expect the team to get out of his contract with it's 'escape clause'... Also notable is that R Kalil spent over half the season injured... This is a different unit with him on the field, but age is starting to become a factor... OL depth is a HUGE offseason 'to do', and Norwell is a free agent... Resigning him is an absolute MUST for the team...

Offensively, Norv Turner will have his hands full if the personnel doesn't improve, particularly in the form of some veteran playmakers... I personally don't think it would be wise for the team to rely on rookies to fix what ails the offense (specifically at WR)... There are quite a few potential FA WR's that could come in and make an immediate impact, however it remains to be seen if the team has the available cap room to get a deal done (while retaining their own FAs)...

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018WR.php

Defensively, there could be changes (Peppers, Lotulelei, Johnson, DBs), but the nucleus should remain intact, and provided DC Wilkes is back (about 50-50 right now), the unit should continue to be dangerous... If Wilkes leaves for a HC position, I'm very anxious to see who is named as his replacement... I don't know if that person is already in house currently...
10 team Non-PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def), full keeper, 23 man roster, established 2013

QB: Tannehill, Tua
RB: CEH, Swift, Sanders, Bell, Fournette, Etienne
WR: Jones, Hopkins, Chase, D Smith, Bateman, Parker, Fuller, Harry, D Johnson, D Samuel, P Williams, Higgins, Chark
K: Butker
Def: Baltimore, Carolina

Championships: 2015, 2017

2014: 1.01 (Became Watkins)
2015: 1.03, 1.04, 3.04 (Became Gurley, Yeldon, CAP, Robinson UDFA)
2016: 1.10 (Became Fuller)
2017: 1.01, 3.07 (Became Fournette, Henderson)
2018: 2.10 (Became Chark)
2019: 1.04 (Became Harry, Samuel, Williams, Isabella, Johnson)
2020: 1.01, 1.05, 2.01, 3.01 (Became CEH, Swift, Tua, Higgins)
2021: 1.03, 1.08, 2.03, 3.03 (Became Chase, D Smith, Etienne, Bateman)