Doug Martin's future

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Doug Martin's future

Postby Generic Username » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 am

I vote Pats as landing spot...it somehow made Burkhead and Gilly valuable last year, hopefully the same for Dougie

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Doug Martin's future

Postby Jfever » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:42 pm
JFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am
Big Al wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am Barber gets a bump in value for now.
Not in my eyes. They will be drafting a rb early. Barber's value stays where it was.
Your signature is ironic in the context of this reply. The reality is indeed that Barber gets an objective bump in value for now. It's the present depth-chart fact, regardless of your personal speculation.

Some speculation of my own: Koetter keeping his job makes it more likely Quizz plays out his contract. So, together with Barber (as an ERFA it's effectively guaranteed he's re-signed), that's two RBs under contract that the coaching staff has established confidence in as a starter and even bellcow. Neither are flashy options, but they've gotten the job done when called upon recently, and that matters for '18. One or both of them could serve as a stop-gap until '19, with the potential to be more than that in Barber's case.

Assuming Sims isn't re-signed, it's practically guaranteed the Bucs draft an RB, and/or sign a decent UDFA or two. However, considering Koetter's veteran favoritism toward Rodgers, plus optimism in young Barber after his strong finish to the season, it is plausible, perhaps probable, that the organization opts not to spend a premium pick on a position that's objectively not one of their roster's primary needs at the moment.

Accordingly, my guess is that TB won't draft an RB until early Day 3. I envision them going for somebody with a good 40 time (Licht has said he wants more explosion from the running-game while praising Barber's finish to the season), but more likely profiling as a complementary piece than as a starter.
Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 am I traded away a late 2nd for Doug Martin at this time last year. This is what I had in mind for a payoff - Bucs release him, he signs a short term, incentive laded contract with a new team.

Lagarrette Blount has made a nice living doing that, and has been a cheap source of fantasy points for years.
Don't I remember you arguing in a Barber thread that Martin wouldn't be cut? You cited their cap room as your reasoning. Maybe that was a different poster.

Well, regardless: Blount has been performing at a much higher level than Martin, and has been relatively consistent in his performance since 2013; he has not suffered a comparable dip in play as Martin has these last two years. So, not an apt comparison. Blount retained esteem around the league, Martin has not.

Martin isn't gonna be much sought after in free-agency. He's an aging 2-down RB lacking special-teams utility with two years of bad tape. There is a real possibility Martin only gets signed as a camp-body somewhere and will have to fight just to make a 53.

You want a logical present-tense comparison for Doug Martin right now, it's Chris Ivory.
Assumptions and speculations are one thing. Experience in the game of life and NFL football, and Fantasy football are to be considered here. If you want to make it philosophical, or objectively fundamental - and say that the Cutting of Doug Martin has a positive effect on the value or perception of value of the rb's left on the TB roster, fine. But, lets try to be honest with ourselves. NONE of them currently on the roster, will be the guy on the 2018 version of the TB offense. If you think so, fine, but, I don't. I don't think I"m in the minority here either. You say that you think TB will address their dire need of start-able rb help on day three. I say day one or two. Day two being the most likely, and in a draft that is deep at rb, I see no logical reason to think that Barber holds long term fantasy value. My evidence for this conclusion is there.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.