Doug Martin's future

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Re: Doug Martin's future

Postby kris_kapsner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:43 pm He looked really good his 1st game back, what the hell happened lol?
I don't know. It seemed like he looked pretty good the first two games back this year...then down hill he went.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:31 am

Just released from the Buccs. Any changes?
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am

Barber gets a bump in value for now.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am

Not in my eyes. They will be drafting a rb early. Barber's value stays where it was.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am

JFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am Not in my eyes. They will be drafting a rb early. Barber's value stays where it was.
This ^^^

I expect the Bucs to either draft a RB in the first couple rounds or hit up a FA RB like Hyde or Murray if released could easily end up as the bell cows there.

If I own any other Bucs RB's I'm selling now based on this news.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 am

I traded away a late 2nd for Doug Martin at this time last year. This is what I had in mind for a payoff - Bucs release him, he signs a short term, incentive laded contract with a new team.

Lagarrette Blount has made a nice living doing that, and has been a cheap source of fantasy points for years.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 am

Good way to make title runs ^

If you build your team around blue chip talent at wr, TE, and Qb, then fill in the gaps with short term cheaper answers at rb, you'll have a nice long window of relevance.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 am

JFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 am Good way to make title runs ^

If you build your team around blue chip talent at wr, TE, and Qb, then fill in the gaps with short term cheaper answers at rb, you'll have a nice long window of relevance.
I definitely prefer to build my team with a few studs supplemented with a lot of roster space for cheap, temporary guys vs. many middle range guys.

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:24 am

that entire bucs offense was odd last yr, wouldn't be shocked to see him have a mini-resurgence when he lands somewhere on a one yr deal. At least it'll present another selling window at minimum.

The real question is, where are the good landing spots for him? Feel like taking over for Gore on the Colts would be a great spot. I could see the Hawks signing him to give Carson competition, but that would be a bad spot unless they overhaul their o-line this offseason, NTM Carson is likely the better player already. Maybe the redskins. He'd prob give fat rob and perine a run for the starting job.

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am

Martin needed a change of scenery badly. I'm holding for now, selling if he goes to a good spot
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

Fish Sticks
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Fish Sticks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Well he was just released. I am guessing someone will pick him up, just a matter of if he will get a chance at the leading back role.
12-team/.5 PPR/6 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te),
(2023 Champion)
QB: Mahomes , M. White
RB: S. Barkley, J.Mixon, A.Kamara, J.McKinnon, Breida
WR: T. Hill , AJ.Brown , D. Adams, J.Landry, M.Williams, H.Renfrow,
TE: M. Andrews , T. Hill, T. Conklin
2023 picks 2.01, 3.02

12-team/PPR/SF. Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (rb/wr/te), 1FLEX (rb/wr/te/qb)
(2023 high scorer, 5th place)
QB: P. Mahomes, D. Watson , M.Corral, S. Thompson, M.Mariota
RB: S Barkley,K. Hunt,J.Mixon,D. Williams
WR: T. Hill, S.Diggs, J.Smith-Schuster, K.Shakir, C. Samuel, R.Gage, C.Davis, A.Thielen
TE: D.Goedert, H.Hurst, T.Conklin, N.Gray
2023 Picks 1.01,1.02,1.08,1.11 2024 2 1sts, 3 2nds, 1 3rd, 1 4th

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:42 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am
Big Al wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am Barber gets a bump in value for now.
Not in my eyes. They will be drafting a rb early. Barber's value stays where it was.
Your signature is ironic in the context of this reply. The reality is indeed that Barber gets an objective bump in value for now. It's the present depth-chart fact, regardless of your personal speculation.

Some speculation of my own: Koetter keeping his job makes it more likely Quizz plays out his contract. So, together with Barber (as an ERFA it's effectively guaranteed he's re-signed), that's two RBs under contract that the coaching staff has established confidence in as a starter and even bellcow. Neither are flashy options, but they've gotten the job done when called upon recently, and that matters for '18. One or both of them could serve as a stop-gap until '19, with the potential to be more than that in Barber's case.

Assuming Sims isn't re-signed, it's practically guaranteed the Bucs draft an RB, and/or sign a decent UDFA or two. However, considering Koetter's veteran favoritism toward Rodgers, plus optimism in young Barber after his strong finish to the season, it is plausible, perhaps probable, that the organization opts not to spend a premium pick on a position that's objectively not one of their roster's primary needs at the moment.

Accordingly, my guess is that TB won't draft an RB until early Day 3. I envision them going for somebody with a good 40 time (Licht has said he wants more explosion from the running-game while praising Barber's finish to the season), but more likely profiling as a complementary piece than as a starter.
Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 am I traded away a late 2nd for Doug Martin at this time last year. This is what I had in mind for a payoff - Bucs release him, he signs a short term, incentive laded contract with a new team.

Lagarrette Blount has made a nice living doing that, and has been a cheap source of fantasy points for years.
Don't I remember you arguing in a Barber thread that Martin wouldn't be cut? You cited their cap room as your reasoning. Maybe that was a different poster.

Well, regardless: Blount has been performing at a much higher level than Martin, and has been relatively consistent in his performance since 2013; he has not suffered a comparable dip in play as Martin has these last two years. So, not an apt comparison. Blount retained esteem around the league, Martin has not.

Martin isn't gonna be much sought after in free-agency. He's an aging 2-down RB lacking special-teams utility with two years of bad tape. There is a real possibility Martin only gets signed as a camp-body somewhere and will have to fight just to make a 53.

You want a logical present-tense comparison for Doug Martin right now, it's Chris Ivory.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:40 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:42 pmDon't I remember you arguing in a Barber thread that Martin wouldn't be cut? You cited their cap room as your reasoning. Maybe that was a different poster.
Not sure if it's the same thread you're referring to, but I did argue that the salary cap wouldn't be a reason to cut Martin. I thought it slightly more likely they keep than cut him, but I was wrong. I do think he's more likely to regain value by going elsewhere than staying in TB. Both are opinions, both can be true at the same time.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 am

Everybody on that Tampa bay team needs a change of scenery.. that place it looking like Jeff fisher is coaching there ...
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 am

Ivory is a great comparison for Martin, in terms of general career arc.

Backfields he could land- Jets, Packers, Raiders, Patriots, Giants, Dolphins, Rams, Chargers, Cardinals, Vikings (if Murray walks), Bears, Panthers.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def