Bears hire Matt Nagy as head coach

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Bears hire Matt Nagy as head coach

Postby Servo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am

So how can you hold that against Nagy for getting the most out of the guys he had at his disposal? I understand the difference between a 30-year-old and 24-year-old but in today's game, QB success is QB success, and that's what you're looking for.

If you're saying that we should have seen more from Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray and now Mahomes, I think that's a little disingenuous.

Anyway, today the Bears also hired Mark Helfrich (Oregon) as their OC. Going all in like LA with bringing in former QBs and guys who can run the RPO.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am

Just food for thought: I think it'd be interesting for CHI to sign Tavon Austin to a cheap one-year deal. It's not as if they have anything to lose, and despite Austin's huge flop, he can still be a gadget guy for those misdirection type of plays.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am Just food for thought: I think it'd be interesting for CHI to sign Tavon Austin to a cheap one-year deal. It's not as if they have anything to lose, and despite Austin's huge flop, he can still be a gadget guy for those misdirection type of plays.
Isn't Tavon just 2 years into a 4 year $42 million contract? Why would the bears want to pick up that contract? They could get Sammy for less, and use Cohen for gadget plays. I feel like Cohen has shown more in his rookie year, including throwing, than Austin has in 5(?) years.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:07 am

Oddball456 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 am
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am Just food for thought: I think it'd be interesting for CHI to sign Tavon Austin to a cheap one-year deal. It's not as if they have anything to lose, and despite Austin's huge flop, he can still be a gadget guy for those misdirection type of plays.
Isn't Tavon just 2 years into a 4 year $42 million contract? Why would the bears want to pick up that contract? They could get Sammy for less, and use Cohen for gadget plays. I feel like Cohen has shown more in his rookie year, including throwing, than Austin has in 5(?) years.
I believe LAR had an out in that deal after this season though. I agree Cohen has shown more, but that doesn't mean Austin can't also be useful at WR or if they had a few packages with both Cohen and Austin in the backfield pre-snap. Again, just food for thought.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:51 am

Word is that LAR are going to franchise tag Sammy, and they have other players they need to keep.....so realistically it should be, "Tavon take a huge pay cut or don't let the door hit your bleep on the way out."

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Servo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am So how can you hold that against Nagy for getting the most out of the guys he had at his disposal? I understand the difference between a 30-year-old and 24-year-old but in today's game, QB success is QB success, and that's what you're looking for.

If you're saying that we should have seen more from Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray and now Mahomes, I think that's a little disingenuous.

Anyway, today the Bears also hired Mark Helfrich (Oregon) as their OC. Going all in like LA with bringing in former QBs and guys who can run the RPO.
I’m not knocking Nagy. I’m just surprised the love for him. Trubisky is a raw, 2nd year QB. I would think developing and running a successful offense with an inexperienced Trubisky would be significantly harder than running a successful offense with established, experienced veterans in Vick and Smith. The transition from a college QB to a professional QB is certainly not an easy one...as we can see with the many many failed QB projects over the decades. Trubisky will be on his 2nd regime in as many years. Who knows how Nagy will develop Trubisky (as he has no past success in developing young, franchise QBs).

Personally, I would have rather seen the hiring of an OC who has had some measurable success developing that raw QB.

Just my thoughts. Maybe it will all work out and Nagy will become the next McVay. Maybe he even becomes the next great coach and maybe Trub becomes the next great franchise QB. Too early to tell. A lot will depend on who he bring in on his staff.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Seeing a lot of posts asking if current Bears players can perform like Chiefs players. Does Trubisky = 2017 Smith, Cohen = Hill, Shaheen = Kelce, Howard = any successful Reid RB?

The simple answer is probably not. These players could be successful but it would have very little to do with the Nagy hiring. He’s not making Cohen into a great WR who is faster than every other player in the NFL (Hill). He’s not making a rookie TE into one of if not the best TE in the NFL. I don’t understand these questions/comparisons other than noting the tangential but obvious fact that Nagy was a Chief and is now a Bear. I don’t get how this changes much of anything related to player performance.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

jonniecakes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jonniecakes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:11 am

jcc6fd wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:27 pm Seeing a lot of posts asking if current Bears players can perform like Chiefs players. Does Trubisky = 2017 Smith, Cohen = Hill, Shaheen = Kelce, Howard = any successful Reid RB?

The simple answer is probably not. These players could be successful but it would have very little to do with the Nagy hiring. He’s not making Cohen into a great WR who is faster than every other player in the NFL (Hill). He’s not making a rookie TE into one of if not the best TE in the NFL. I don’t understand these questions/comparisons other than noting the tangential but obvious fact that Nagy was a Chief and is now a Bear. I don’t get how this changes much of anything related to player performance.
Yes, I agree. The Bears skill players are nowhere near what the Chiefs are. It'd be nice IF he could get that kind of production from these guys but I think the main thing here is to develop Trubisky into what Pace envisions. If not, both will be out of Chicago and another GM will make an attempt to revive this team again.
Dynasty League Roster - 12-team league, 0.5 PPR, 18-player max +2 Rookies
QB Tannehill, Wentz, Fields
RB Taylor, Mixon, Fournette, Javonte Williams, Elijah Mitchell
WR Adams, Julio, Tee, Chase, Shenault, Dyami Brown, Nico Collins, Toney
TE Hockenson, Fant