Bears hire Matt Nagy as head coach

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Bears hire Matt Nagy as head coach

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 am

Matt Nagy was the OC for the KC chiefs this year and the QB coach 3 years before that. Been under Andy Reid his whole NFL coaching career. Clearly John Fox had a horrible 3 years as the Bears HC. How does this hire help/hurt the Bears players?

Being an Off minded coach I would assume he helps the Bears players and should be a solid boost for Trubisk. Thoughts on the affect on the RBs of Howard and Cohen? And who knows who the WR will be next year. Meredith should be back and 100%, not sure about White, and the leading WR this year for the Bears was Kendall Wright with 59 rec and 614 yards. Clearly WR is a major need and should be addressed either with FA or in the draft (likely both).

cweds
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Bears hire Matt Nagy as head coach

Postby cweds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:57 am

Hard to see it as anything but positive for trubisky: less sheltering from Fox, RPO to take advantage of his athleticism, and he seemed to get a lot out of Smith.
Team 1 (3rd Season):
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr
Start QB,2RB,2WR,TE,FLEX
24 Man Active Roster
QB: Wilson, Wentz
RB: Freeman, D. Cook, Jamal Williams, Carson, AP, Lindsay, RJ
WR: Adams, T. Hill, Thielen, M. Bryant, Golladay, Trequan Smith, Pettis, MVS, J'mon Moore, C. Williams
TE: Olsen, Gescicki, Ebron, J. Smith
2019: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Team 2 (2nd season):
12 team 4pt Pass TDs/.5ppr
Start QB,2RB,2WR,TE,3FLEX
25 Man Active Roster/3 IR spots
QB: Mariota, Roethlisberger, Trubisky
RB: DJ, Guice, Penny, Royce Freeman, Conner, Carson, Kelly, Dixon, Morris
WR: Allen, JJSS, Landry, Robinson, Watkins, Godwin, Callaway, Allison, Doctson, J. Moore, MVS
TE: Kelce, Njoku

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:57 am

Good hire. If i were a Bears fan id be pleased. Hopefully Nagy does for Trubisky what mcvay did for Goff. Less overall talent to work with but hopefully positive results
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:59 am

Lots of gadget plays for Tarik Cohen next year....
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

FantasyFreakGuru
Starter
Starter

Postby FantasyFreakGuru » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Tarik Cohen to become the new Tyreek Hill!
12 team league (Year One) Updated Week 14 2018 Season
DYNASTY GIANTS - 1pt PPR League Qb, Rb, Rb, Wr, Wr, Te, Flex (WR/RB/TE) K, D
Team Name: Keep It Green

QB-Cam Newton, Marcus Mariota
RB- Christian McCaffrey, Aaron Jones, Tarik Cohen, Adrian Peterson, Peyton Barber
WR- Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill, Doug Baldwin, Nelson Agholor, Marvin Jones, Dede Westbrook, John Brown, Taywan Taylor
TE-Austin Hooper, Jimmy Graham, Ian Thomas
K&DEF- Matchup Stream Weekly
2019 pick Early 2nd, Late 2nd, Late 3rd, Late 4th
------------------------------------

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm

I dunno. As I look at the list of QBs that Nagy has “coached” over in some capacity, I don’t really get excited for Trubisky.

With the Eagles
2010 - A 30 year old Mike Vick and Kevin Kolb
2011 - A 31 year old Mike Vick and Vince Young
2012 - A 32 year old Mike Vick and a rookie Foles (played several games his rookie year with so-so results). Foles good season was after Nagy left.

With the Chiefs
2013 - A 29 year old Alex Smith and Chase Daniel
2014 - A 30 year old Alex Smith and Chase Daniel
2015 - A 31 year old Alex Smith and Chase Daniel
2016 - A 32 year old Alex Smith and Nick Foles
2017 - A 33 year old Alex Smith and a rookie Pat Mahomes

All in all, nothing to me about Nagy screams “developing a franchise QB”. I see Vick and Smith in the plateau of their career being used effectively to their strengths. I see a smart QB/OC coach that was able to gameplan around what his veteran QB could do best. I did not see him develop a rookie/2nd year QB into the franchise QB.

With so many coordinators to choose from, many that are from more exciting offenses, I just don’t get the love from the Bears fans. An Alex Smith upside doesn’t excite me. There’s no Tyreek Hill on the Bears to turn short passes into big plays. I like Mahomes, Howard, Cohen, and some of their young guys. I just don’t see replicating the Chiefs offensive success with the Bears current offensive players.

Late disclaimer: I am a Vikings fan. Look at my avatar. This isn’t some troll post. I’m not hating on the Bears or Nagy. Just trying to figure out what about Nagy is so appealing?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 pm

To me the one thing that comes accross as a strong parallel is actually that the Bears do have a "tyreek Hill" there's is an RB (Cohen) but still that kind of dump off into a 60 yard TD kinda player

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Definitely a surprise hire, but the Bears are not a terrible team. They competed in a lot of games they shoild have been blown out it, so just need some offensive, ahem, work. Trubisky looked ok and maybe Meredith comes back strong and they certainly will draft some wr help. The d has some pieces. I will admit i knew very little of him before today, as most would agree.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 pm

As others alluded to.. Curious what this will do for Cohen.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 am

Before the draft I thought Trubisky’s upside was Andy Dalton-Alex Smith, so I’m interested in what Trubisky could do with the coach who got the best out of Smith.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:49 am

slaughterrt wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm I dunno. As I look at the list of QBs that Nagy has “coached” over in some capacity, I don’t really get excited for Trubisky.

With the Eagles
2012 - A 32 year old Mike Vick and a rookie Foles (played several games his rookie year with so-so results). Foles good season was after Nagy left.

With the Chiefs

All in all, nothing to me about Nagy screams “developing a franchise QB”. I see Vick and Smith in the plateau of their career being used effectively to their strengths. I see a smart QB/OC coach that was able to gameplan around what his veteran QB could do best. I did not see him develop a rookie/2nd year QB into the franchise QB.

With so many coordinators to choose from, many that are from more exciting offenses, I just don’t get the love from the Bears fans. An Alex Smith upside doesn’t excite me. There’s no Tyreek Hill on the Bears to turn short passes into big plays. I like Mahomes, Howard, Cohen, and some of their young guys. I just don’t see replicating the Chiefs offensive success with the Bears current offensive players.

Late disclaimer: I am a Vikings fan. Look at my avatar. This isn’t some troll post. I’m not hating on the Bears or Nagy. Just trying to figure out what about Nagy is so appealing?
But, he did coach a Dream Team one time..

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 am

I am in talks with the Howard owner in one of my main leagues so I am interested in the responses here. Howard doesn't seem like the type of RB that the Reid tree of coaches typically likes IMO.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 am

What do you think about Adam Shaheen ?

Can Nagy bring some Kelce out of him ?
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

jonniecakes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jonniecakes » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am

slaughterrt wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm I dunno. As I look at the list of QBs that Nagy has “coached” over in some capacity, I don’t really get excited for Trubisky.

With the Eagles

With the Chiefs

What's NOT to like? It isn't old John Fox and his desire to grind out games with limited personnel. It's a start - getting a young coach to hopefully develop their franchise QB into something. True those QBs you mention were older but he did get some good if not great seasons out of them.

Vikes hire of Mike Zimmer was a good one. Was it one to be jumping for joy about? Nope but it was a new coach with a great defensive philosophy that has turned that unit into the Purple People Eaters 2.0. It's all perspective. It's something new and different and not the same "let's get a defensive coach in here and turn them back into the Monsters of the Midway."

Or are you trying to say that Pat Shurmur would've been a better option? He could've been but he had his chance as a HC and that didn't go too well. Besides, this league is a copycat league. Like many have said, if McVay could do it with the Rams, let's see if the same formula works here.

I will say this: Pace has been a little suspect as a GM. I gotta believe in him as he's there (if you can't tell, I'm a Bears fan) and now he's got: 1) his franchise QB 2) his head coach. Time is ticking. His job success is all tied into the Nagy-Trubisky duo. They flop, all three will be gone.
Dynasty League Roster - 12-team league, 0.5 PPR, 18-player max +2 Rookies
QB Tannehill, Wentz, Fields
RB Taylor, Mixon, Fournette, Javonte Williams, Elijah Mitchell
WR Adams, Julio, Tee, Chase, Shenault, Dyami Brown, Nico Collins, Toney
TE Hockenson, Fant

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 am

jonniecakes wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am

With the Eagles

With the Chiefs

What's NOT to like? It isn't old John Fox and his desire to grind out games with limited personnel. It's a start - getting a young coach to hopefully develop their franchise QB into something. True those QBs you mention were older but he did get some good if not great seasons out of them.

Vikes hire of Mike Zimmer was a good one. Was it one to be jumping for joy about? Nope but it was a new coach with a great defensive philosophy that has turned that unit into the Purple People Eaters 2.0. It's all perspective. It's something new and different and not the same "let's get a defensive coach in here and turn them back into the Monsters of the Midway."

Or are you trying to say that Pat Shurmur would've been a better option? He could've been but he had his chance as a HC and that didn't go too well. Besides, this league is a copycat league. Like many have said, if McVay could do it with the Rams, let's see if the same formula works here.

I will say this: Pace has been a little suspect as a GM. I gotta believe in him as he's there (if you can't tell, I'm a Bears fan) and now he's got: 1) his franchise QB 2) his head coach. Time is ticking. His job success is all tied into the Nagy-Trubisky duo. They flop, all three will be gone.
Nagy just doesn’t seem to have that IT factor to me. His track record is taking average veteran QBs and making them perform slightly above average. Maybe that will transition well to Trubisky. Maybe Trubisky is a really good QB and Nagy will get the great/elite performance out of him. Time will tell. I just don’t see anything in Nagy’s past that screams development of a young franchise QB.

As far as the Vikings hiring Zimmer and Shurmur...Zimmer was a solid professional defensive coordinator for 13 years. Defense is/was his specialty, and no one should be shocked that Minnesota’s defense has really developed into a top defense. Shurmur, I really don’t care too much about. He is an average OC similar to Nagy. He hasn’t really shown much in the development of a QB. He has gotten the most he could out of average, seasoned vets like Bradford and Keenum, by surrounding them with a solid supporting cast. The jury is out on Bridgewater, but he isn’t likely to be the franchise guy that people hoped he would be.

If you are excited about a younger Shurmur type guy as your HC, that’s cool. I hope it works out for you guys, as I am a Trubisky fan. There just isn’t anything in my opinion, that has shown Nagy to develop franchise QBs.