Derrick Henry Thread - Is he still King Henry post injury?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Derrick Henry

Postby Rosenbluu » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:13 am

btv802 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:50 am I don't care what defense he's playing, if you get this guy in space and moving down the field, he is an absolute bull and nobody wants to tackle him. Also this was an interesting nugget from Twitter.

"When Titans’ RB Derrick Henry scored on his 54 yard touchdown run last night - after his record-setting 99-yard TD run - he reached 21.74 mph, the fastest speed by a ball-carrier on a TD run this season, per Next Gen Stats."

I really hope the Titans don't go back to giving him 6 carries after this game, but they may.
X2

I had to start him in my main league with the Sanders injury and Watkins still questionable.
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

darewood11
All Pro
All Pro

Postby darewood11 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 am

Valhalla wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:52 am
trc wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:38 am
Valhalla wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:26 am How many teams are going to be looking at a playoff loss that would have been a win if only they chose him instead of their Justin Jackson or Doug Martin.
Went with Mixon and Aaron Jones over him.
Can’t find any fault in that
Hundred percent how couldnt you

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:55 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:40 am Keep in mind that this is the same Jaguars defense that shut out one of the hottest offenses in the league four days before this game. Maybe they were tired, but they were losing the battle at the LOS and Tennessee was able to get Henry in space where he's a load to deal with. Tennessee hasn't been consistent with doing that all year.
Probably a multitude of things. I'm not saying jags d isn't still really talented, just that once Tennesse had a double digit lead, it was over and likely compounded the the game getting more out if hand. Hard not to mail it in given the circumstances. That offense under Kessler is utterly incapable.
I don't believe the blame is on Kessler to be honest. I believe it is a combination of play calling and execution by the men up front. I think that their offensive line play is horrible. Just absolutely gross. No time to pass, to hole to run through, rb getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. I think their play calling leaves a lot to be desired. Why say - "that offense under Kessler" when in reality, it is that offense behind that atrocious (injured / dinged up ) line? Do you say that because it's easier? Plus... I think some credit needs to be given to Tennessee's defense. They are an under appreciated unit and are actually well coached and talented.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 am

JFever wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:40 am Keep in mind that this is the same Jaguars defense that shut out one of the hottest offenses in the league four days before this game. Maybe they were tired, but they were losing the battle at the LOS and Tennessee was able to get Henry in space where he's a load to deal with. Tennessee hasn't been consistent with doing that all year.
Probably a multitude of things. I'm not saying jags d isn't still really talented, just that once Tennesse had a double digit lead, it was over and likely compounded the the game getting more out if hand. Hard not to mail it in given the circumstances. That offense under Kessler is utterly incapable.
I don't believe the blame is on Kessler to be honest. I believe it is a combination of play calling and execution by the men up front. I think that their offensive line play is horrible. Just absolutely gross. No time to pass, to hole to run through, rb getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. I think their play calling leaves a lot to be desired. Why say - "that offense under Kessler" when in reality, it is that offense behind that atrocious (injured / dinged up ) line? Do you say that because it's easier? Plus... I think some credit needs to be given to Tennessee's defense. They are an under appreciated unit and are actually well coached and talented.
Kessler just is what he is. He personally isn't the blame, but the offense constipates with him under center. He's a low volume game manager who tries not to turn it over. He is the anti-Bortles.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 am

It’s the same Jaguars defense that made a great pick on Mariota early in the game. The special teams followed that up by turning a muffed punt into a safety. The Jags started two drives around their own forty and got nothing from the offense.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 am
JFever wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am

Kessler just is what he is. He personally isn't the blame, but the offense constipates with him under center. He's a low volume game manager who tries not to turn it over. He is the anti-Bortles.
Does that mean he & Bortles cannot exist in the same space or they'll explode? :surprised: :think:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:00 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 am
It’s the same Jaguars defense that made a great pick on Mariota early in the game. The special teams followed that up by turning a muffed punt into a safety. The Jags started two drives around their own forty and got nothing from the offense.
Yep. That's what made this pretty impressive. Sure, the numbers aren't repeatable, but look at how the Titans used him:

Look at all those runs to the outside and the effort to get him in space. Then you look at a game early in the season (Week 2) and it's night and day:

In a way, it's kind of like David Johnson. I don't know why these OC's are wasting these backs on inside runs. If you get these players in space, nobody wants to tackle them. They're fast, they've built up a head of steam and they're big. I do think part of Henry's problem is he hasn't been running with the power and physicality that you would expect, and it was made worse by Tennessee being so banged up on the line. But, he's too talented to not be a 1000+ yard rusher each year.

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:42 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:00 pm
ericanadian wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 am
Yep. That's what made this pretty impressive. Sure, the numbers aren't repeatable, but look at how the Titans used him:

Look at all those runs to the outside and the effort to get him in space. Then you look at a game early in the season (Week 2) and it's night and day:

In a way, it's kind of like David Johnson. I don't know why these OC's are wasting these backs on inside runs. If you get these players in space, nobody wants to tackle them. They're fast, they've built up a head of steam and they're big. I do think part of Henry's problem is he hasn't been running with the power and physicality that you would expect, and it was made worse by Tennessee being so banged up on the line. But, he's too talented to not be a 1000+ yard rusher each year.
This is really confusing to me. You want the Titans to play Henry in out in space? He’s one of the worst lateral movers in the league and struggles changing direction plus hasn’t shown any abillity as a receiver. I think you’re confusing straight line speed with quickness and agility.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:19 am

Great performance that I would use to sell him for something good in the off season. We know who Henry is, he’s been through different coaches and systems and he doesn’t produce 25% of this with any regularity. This was his career game, not a display of what is to come.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:35 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:42 am This is really confusing to me. You want the Titans to play Henry in out in space? He’s one of the worst lateral movers in the league and struggles changing direction plus hasn’t shown any abillity as a receiver. I think you’re confusing straight line speed with quickness and agility.
I'm not confusing either of them.

When he doesn't have momentum, Henry can't cut quick enough or stop on a dime to avoid defenders. When he's built up a head of steam in space, he can change direction and be a nightmare for opposing defenses. When they run him strictly up the middle, he does little to nothing. When they mix it up and try to get him in space on the outside, he's a terror as we saw in the Jaguars game.

The stats aren't repeatable, but the way they used him is the blueprint to get the most out of him.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Multiple things to comment on here.

There looks like a total of two plays where he runs more parallel to the LOS (more off-tackle) before heading upfield, with a 50% bust rate (about as low as a sample gets). There are also the big runs up the sidelines, that were actually runs up the middle that were effectively bounced outside. These four runs gives a visual illusion that he was running much more outside the tackles, when really his pattern of pathways wasn’t much different.

Charting the path a rb takes doesn’t tell close to the full story of the play, or even the play design. Those charts show nothing of possible game to game variance in player performance; of Henry, his OL, how well Mariota sells the pass, or the defensive player performance. It tells nothing of defensive formation and play-calling (and possible miscues). It tells nothing of how well or poorly the runs may have been set up with previous play calls and executions (or failures) by other threats. It tells nothing of the emotion/momentum of the game, which can impact a lot. It tells nothing of field conditions. It tells nothing of where the OL were blocking; were the successful up the middle runs that effectively bounced outside traps, counters, dives, slants? We’re they running one type of blocking scheme more successfully in one game and it wasn’t working against other defenses (or simply not running it)? Were the flags not flying for holding calls as liberally in this game? Is this not a game of inches (where a couple inches can create 99 yards) and all these variables at play creates a high probability that variable statistical output and outliers SHOULD be expected?

The big runs he had...the ones that made his game...they were runs BETWEEN the tackles. The difference is he was able to effectively bounce them outside and go the distance in one game and not in another. You can see by his paths that he was attempting to bounce runs outside in both very similarly. He was able to in one game and not in another. I don’t see how you can garner more from these images without more info of the plays.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Sorry three runs look to be off tackle looking again. Doesn’t change my argument

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:12 pm

In still surprised about Derrick Henry. This from Rotoworld before the game-
Derrick Henry has scored in four of his past six games but has been relegated into a touchdown only option since he’s yet to even have one run of 20-plus yards this season. Dion Lewis has just 107 yards from scrimmage over the past three games, making him even more lackluster without the scoring appeal while the Jaguars are second in fantasy production surrendered to opposing backs on the season.
Apparently he just needed to meet a secondary not interested in tackling to get those 20 yard runs.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:17 am

Valhalla wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:42 pm There looks like a total of two plays where he runs more parallel to the LOS (more off-tackle) before heading upfield, with a 50% bust rate (about as low as a sample gets). There are also the big runs up the sidelines, that were actually runs up the middle that were effectively bounced outside. These four runs gives a visual illusion that he was running much more outside the tackles, when really his pattern of pathways wasn’t much different.

Charting the path a rb takes doesn’t tell close to the full story of the play, or even the play design. Those charts show nothing of possible game to game variance in player performance; of Henry, his OL, how well Mariota sells the pass, or the defensive player performance. It tells nothing of defensive formation and play-calling (and possible miscues). It tells nothing of how well or poorly the runs may have been set up with previous play calls and executions (or failures) by other threats. It tells nothing of the emotion/momentum of the game, which can impact a lot. It tells nothing of field conditions. It tells nothing of where the OL were blocking; were the successful up the middle runs that effectively bounced outside traps, counters, dives, slants? We’re they running one type of blocking scheme more successfully in one game and it wasn’t working against other defenses (or simply not running it)? Were the flags not flying for holding calls as liberally in this game? Is this not a game of inches (where a couple inches can create 99 yards) and all these variables at play creates a high probability that variable statistical output and outliers SHOULD be expected?

The big runs he had...the ones that made his game...they were runs BETWEEN the tackles. The difference is he was able to effectively bounce them outside and go the distance in one game and not in another. You can see by his paths that he was attempting to bounce runs outside in both very similarly. He was able to in one game and not in another. I don’t see how you can garner more from these images without more info of the plays.
I disagree. Those charts can tell you a lot about how an RB is at least being schemed or influenced to run week to week. David Johnson's charts looked awfully similar under Mike McCoy, leading to general ineffectiveness. Then, Leftwich takes over and there's more variance and better production due to his influence from Bruce Arians' usage. Of course, we're not going to understand them perfectly but it at least gives you an idea. Henry had his own issues this season in terms of not running hard and playing to his size. It was made worse by the fact that the Titans offensive line was plagued by injuries. But, any time they've been able to mix up the way Henry is used, it's lead to better results.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Derrick Henry? What gives??

Postby MrUbuto » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Seems to be one of the most polarizing RBs out there.

40% sure he is a massive bust

40% sure is can be a top 5 back

20% are just staying away

I think his first 2 years give many pause and his 3rd year was also fairly so -so if you take away those 2 massive games.

He has a Carter YPC and if you extrapolate on the 300 carry season like vrabel has said that gives you a solid 1400yrd season and about 20 TDs. Those are some serious high end RB 1 numbers.

Obviously that is probably a high end but I dont think its unreasonable to assume that if he is given near the 250 Carries that a lot of bell cows get (and he is a prototypical bell cow type) he is at worst a low end RB1.

Why are you doubters doubting and why are you believers believing

FYI I am a believer
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted