Buy Low WR1 Candidates

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Buy Low WR1 Candidates

Postby btv802 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Goddard wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 pm Seems like a very lazy comparison. Not really seeing where the similarities are.
Well to clarify, I was doing a little research and noticed that nobody in the history of the NFL has ever gotten the type of volume that Jarvis Landry has through their first four years in the league and done so little with it and it's not even close. Davone Bess was one of the closest comps I could find statistically which is why I mentioned it, high volume and insanely low YPR. Peter Warrick and Marty Booker are probably the best case comps you can look to for Jarvis, but even they were half a yard better on average than Jarvis was on like 100 less targets through first four seasons. Jarvis is getting an unprecedented amount off volume and really not doing anything to deserve it other than catching a relatively high percentage of them. But when you have one of the lowest YPR in history relative to volume, you better be catching a lot of them.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:39 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm Does anyone think that if Landry signs elsewhere, that team potentially experiments with using him more on the outside? Landry's athletic profile and what he's shown on the field suggests that he could succeed as a primary receiver.
What do you mean by athletic profile?
I mean that while he may not burn anyone with deep speed, he has very good short-area quickness and agility. We've seen recently other WRs that aren't superstars succeed as a team's primary receiver, guys like Robert Woods and Michael Crabtree come to mind.
btv802 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:43 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm Does anyone think that if Landry signs elsewhere, that team potentially experiments with using him more on the outside? Landry's athletic profile and what he's shown on the field suggests that he could succeed as a primary receiver.
So ok hold on. Some of you guys really believe Jarvis Landry is capable of succeeding as an outside receiver, but instead of letting him do that, multiple NFL coaching staffs on the Dolphins instead chose to feed him a record number of targets out of the slot on what have been the shortest routes in the league over the past 4 years? Really?
1. I'm not saying Landry would 100% make a better outside WR than slot, just open to discussing the possibility.
2. We've seen plenty of coaches misuse players before, only for them to succeed on a different team, so yes it's possible.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:08 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:56 pm http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jar ... id=2543488

Truly unimpressive combine measurements TBH
If you like what you see with your eyeballs when you watch Jarvis on the field I get it, can't debate that, but if you don't know Jarvis had a miserable combine then you need to pay more attention.

Pharoh Cooper was a pro bowl kick returner this year but I wouldn't advocate lining him up outside either. Pretty sure Landry is playing the proper role for his athletic profile.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:15 pm

btv802 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:08 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:56 pm http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jar ... id=2543488

If you like what you see with your eyeballs when you watch Jarvis on the field I get it, can't debate that, but if you don't know Jarvis had a miserable combine then you need to pay more attention.

Pharoh Cooper was a pro bowl kick returner this year but I wouldn't advocate lining him up outside either. Pretty sure Landry is playing the proper role for his athletic profile.
I know Landry is a baller on the field, but I live in Vancouver Canada (Pacific North West) so I rarely ever see the dolphins play. But from what info I have been able to gather it doesnt suggest he is a prime athlete. I think of Landry as OBJ but not as athletic. Great route, Amazing hands, Smart as heck, Great determination/Grit/Work ethic, but Landry just isnt the same athlete as OBJ.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:18 pm

btv802 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm
Goddard wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 pm Seems like a very lazy comparison. Not really seeing where the similarities are.
Well to clarify, I was doing a little research and noticed that nobody in the history of the NFL has ever gotten the type of volume that Jarvis Landry has through their first four years in the league and done so little with it and it's not even close. Davone Bess was one of the closest comps I could find statistically which is why I mentioned it, high volume and insanely low YPR. Peter Warrick and Marty Booker are probably the best case comps you can look to for Jarvis, but even they were half a yard better on average than Jarvis was on like 100 less targets through first four seasons. Jarvis is getting an unprecedented amount off volume and really not doing anything to deserve it other than catching a relatively high percentage of them. But when you have one of the lowest YPR in history relative to volume, you better be catching a lot of them.
I mean, I don't think he really has control over the plays that are called and routes he's told to run. All I know is, he catches the balls thrown to him and I've seen him make plenty of plays that your average WR wouldn't have made.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm

btv802 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:08 pm

No one is saying Landry is OBJ, but his combine stats also don't paint the full picture.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Are we really using his combine numbers 3-4 years later to judge whether or not he's good?

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Goddard wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm Are we really using his combine numbers 3-4 years later to judge whether or not he's good?
Not at all just commenting on somebody saying his athletic profile was good. It’s bad and I thought everybody knew that.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

These are Jarvis Landry’s all-time cohorts in terms of basic efficiency through first four years in their career, the best of the best. I mentioned Peter Warrick as best case statistical comp before. He finished his career in Arena football and the CFL. Not a strong list to be on overall. Not much in terms of guys that went on to bigger and better things because they weren’t being used properly, but maybe Jarvis is a big outlier here.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm

btv802 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm Image

These are Jarvis Landry’s all-time cohorts in terms of basic efficiency through first four years in their career, the best of the best. I mentioned Peter Warrick as best case statistical comp before. He finished his career in Arena football and the CFL. Not a strong list to be on overall. Not much in terms of guys that went on to bigger and better things because they weren’t being used properly, but maybe Jarvis is a big outlier here.
Well, he's got almost 1,500 yards more than the next man on that list. So it's probably safe to say he's an outlier or that there's a big difference between him and the others.

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm

If he's the next Steve Smith it wouldn't be all that bad.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Goddard wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Well, he's got almost 1,500 yards more than the next man on that list. So it's probably safe to say he's an outlier or that there's a big difference between him and the others.
I think the point he was making was about the efficiency, sure he has more total yards but he also has way more targets and receptions, his efficiency is still way lower than you'd like to see for a guy with Landry's level of talent
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Peter Warrick ):

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm

James McGhee wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm If he's the next Steve Smith it wouldn't be all that bad.
Different Steve smith
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm

James McGhee wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm If he's the next Steve Smith it wouldn't be all that bad.
That’s USC and New York Giants Steve Smith. Jarvis Landry is no Steve “Ice up son” Smith. Don’t compare them.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS