Will Ryan Tannehill be a Starting NFL QB in 2020?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FFHawk12
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ryan Tannehill - what are you thoughts going forward?

Postby FFHawk12 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Don't see much value in 12 team 1QB leagues, small value in others.
12 Team 26 Players 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX
Rodgers GB | McCarron CIN | McCown NYJ
Hyde SF | Mack IND | Foreman HOU | Thompson WAS | Darkwa NYG | McKissic SEA
Adams GB | Hilton IND | Thielen MIN | Baldwin SEA | Agholor PHI | Richardson SEA | Samuel CAR | Sanu ATL | Jo.Brown ARI | Hollins PHI | Stewart NYJ | Carroo MIA | Latimer DEN | Robinson KC | Moore BAL
Kelce KC | Henry LAC
2018 Picks
1.06 | 2.11
2019 Picks
1st | 2nd | 2nd | 4th | 5th

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 pm
zoster80 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:22 am As a Fins fan, I don't like him... He's a year away from being Mark Sanchez type guy who will roam around the NFL, because he's decent enough be a back up but not good enough to run a team.

He can't ever connect with his WRs and no one can give anymore excuses. First it was the coach, then the OC, the oline, then the WRs, then the oline again now the injury. He's been in the league as long as Wilson and RG3 and they give him a long rope because of all these excuses, but I'm tired of them, the NFL needs to realize he's not a starter in this league.
Strongly disagree with the Mark Sanchez part. Tannehill is a lower-tier franchise QB (like Flacco). He's not elite and can't carry a team, but he's good enough to lead a great roster on a playoff run. Not sure Miami will ever have a great roster, but Tannehill is good enough to lead them if they do.
Well Flacco is nothing more than Mark Sanchez on a team that stayed good around him, so I think both comparisons work.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:46 pm

IRL he's an Alex Smith level game manager. In fantasy this tends to equate to mid-low QB2 production and upside for a low QB1 year every now and then. He's probably not good enough to take a team to the next level but he won't go and Bortles your playoff hopes.
Yes Bortles is now a verb

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:49 pm

I am holding him in one 16-team league. In another I sold him at the 2015 deadline with Ben Watson for the picks that became Michael Thomas, Hunter Henry and Rashad Higgins.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:24 pm

I think the Alex Smith / Joe Flacco comparisons make sense. Guys you dont usually plan to start but wont crap the bed (mostly) if you have to.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 am

Tannehill cannot throw the deep ball. No matter how many WRs you give him, he can't make plays downfield. So that relegates him to being an Alex Smith'esque game manager, but Alex Smith is better at that because he plays smart with what he has and Tannehill wants to be able to do more (and fails).

I agree Tannehill sticks around though bc finding QBs who can play at that level is hard for franchises to do (see Tyrod, Bortles, Flacco, etc.).
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 am

_yeti wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 am Tannehill cannot throw the deep ball. No matter how many WRs you give him, he can't make plays downfield. So that relegates him to being an Alex Smith'esque game manager, but Alex Smith is better at that because he plays smart with what he has and Tannehill wants to be able to do more (and fails).

I agree Tannehill sticks around though bc finding QBs who can play at that level is hard for franchises to do (see Tyrod, Bortles, Flacco, etc.).
That's a rookie and sophomore year narrative that no longer holds true. Tannehill has actually developed a very good deep ball.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:16 am

Vcize wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 pm
zoster80 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:22 am As a Fins fan, I don't like him... He's a year away from being Mark Sanchez type guy who will roam around the NFL, because he's decent enough be a back up but not good enough to run a team.

He can't ever connect with his WRs and no one can give anymore excuses. First it was the coach, then the OC, the oline, then the WRs, then the oline again now the injury. He's been in the league as long as Wilson and RG3 and they give him a long rope because of all these excuses, but I'm tired of them, the NFL needs to realize he's not a starter in this league.
Strongly disagree with the Mark Sanchez part. Tannehill is a lower-tier franchise QB (like Flacco). He's not elite and can't carry a team, but he's good enough to lead a great roster on a playoff run. Not sure Miami will ever have a great roster, but Tannehill is good enough to lead them if they do.
Well Flacco is nothing more than Mark Sanchez on a team that stayed good around him, so I think both comparisons work.
Nah, Sanchez proved he wasn't good enough to be a franchise-level QB. Guys like Flacco and Tannehill are good enough for a franchise to trust them.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 am
_yeti wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 am Tannehill cannot throw the deep ball. No matter how many WRs you give him, he can't make plays downfield. So that relegates him to being an Alex Smith'esque game manager, but Alex Smith is better at that because he plays smart with what he has and Tannehill wants to be able to do more (and fails).

That's a rookie and sophomore year narrative that no longer holds true. Tannehill has actually developed a very good deep ball.
Based on what? He went 16 for 42 (37.2%) on balls with an aDoT of 20 or more yards in 2016. That's not bad, but it's certainly not "very good". If you factor in that he also doesn't go deep that often, I suspect that he hasn't improved his deep ball all that much. He's become a better decision maker in terms of not trying to force throws he can't make. Carr, Goff & Keenum have all done that to great success, but it's not really the same as having a good deep ball.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Based on what? He went 16 for 42 (37.2%) on balls with an aDoT of 20 or more yards in 2016. That's not bad, but it's certainly not "very good". If you factor in that he also doesn't go deep that often, I suspect that he hasn't improved his deep ball all that much. He's become a better decision maker in terms of not trying to force throws he can't make. Carr, Goff & Keenum have all done that to great success, but it's not really the same as having a good deep ball.
I'm seeing 61% here (https://brickwallblitz.com/2017/03/26/t ... t-part-33/). Regardless, he is able to make plays downfield now.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:26 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 pm
ericanadian wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm seeing 61% here (https://brickwallblitz.com/2017/03/26/t ... t-part-33/). Regardless, he is able to make plays downfield now.
That's accuracy, which means some dude is making judgement calls on whether or not the throw is where it should be. It shows his completion percentage at 41%. Could be, as I'm compiling the stats by parsing the data from nflgsis, which is a bit messy from time to time. I don't dispute he can make plays downfield. He always could. He has the arm strength. His accuracy is just inconsistent and before he was trying to make throws he couldn't make. He's a much better decision maker now and a viable QB.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Tannehill to Titans

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 am

What to make of this?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Tannehill to Titans

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 am

That's odd.

Really really odd.

If Tannehill is OK with being a backup, whatever. I don't think he could beat out Mariota.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Clearly TEN has finally realized that Mariota is a Tyrod Taylor type backup in the league lol
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:03 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 pm Clearly TEN has finally realized that Mariota is a Tyrod Taylor type backup in the league lol
Think it's Tannehill who's come to the realization here.

But very solid insurance for an injury-prone starter. Won't have to watch Gabbert anymore. :clap: