Saquon Barkley - RB - THE RB Y'all

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Saquon Barkley - RB - THE RB Y'all

Postby Ghosted » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:24 pm Barkley is a no-brainer: Complete RB with no detrimental weaknesses. If I had the 1.01, the landing spot wouldn't matter.'

The 1.01 in a dynasty startup is insane though. You're buying at the highest price possible with so many better players available.
Probably haha. But we don't exactly know if they're "better," yet. Safer? Again, probably. This will ultimately come down to how much you trust what you are seeing on tape that will lead to your projections, I suppose. How many uber-elite RB prospects have missed, though? It is much safer on the surface to go with known commodities, I get that. And in theory, you are buying at the highest possible price. It's very risky. But if you're not risk-adverse, like me, and you have a chance to buy-back years AND get something on top of it, that's a win to me. Admittedly, that's getting harder and harder to do, due to the inflation of value that the 1.1 is seeing right now.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 am

gameaholica wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 am Think I am going to read some old pre-NFL draft Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, and Montee Ball scouting reports and post.
exactly

1-01 in rookie draft is point on.. 1-01 ina dynasty start up IMHO is premature ..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:58 am

gameaholica wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 am Think I am going to read some old pre-NFL draft Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, and Montee Ball scouting reports and post.
No offense to you, but that serves zero purpose. I understand the point you're trying to make that rookies are always hyped, but if you watch any film, these guys don't come anywhere close to Barkley in terms of athleticism and play. I agree that Barkley is insanely hyped, but there are plenty of reasons to believe he could be a generational talent at RB. I don't believe anyone was saying that about the RBs you mentioned predraft.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:00 am

Tvols wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 am
exactly

1-01 in rookie draft is point on.. 1-01 ina dynasty start up IMHO is premature ..
I agree with these posts. I can’t say I have been playing Dynasty as long as most of you, but I don’t see a problem cementing him in at the 1.01 for a rookie draft. But some of the prices I have seen or heard are pretty wild. I get it. He looks like a sure thing.

izekial
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby izekial » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:58 am
No offense to you, but that serves zero purpose. I understand the point you're trying to make that rookies are always hyped, but if you watch any film, these guys don't come anywhere close to Barkley in terms of athleticism and play. I agree that Barkley is insanely hyped, but there are plenty of reasons to believe he could be a generational talent at RB. I don't believe anyone was saying that about the RBs you mentioned predraft.
Before the draft, i remember Trich being widely considered a cant miss prospect and the best RB to hit the NFL since Adrian Peterson.
12 team, standard scoring. 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 wr/te flex

QB-stafford, Luck
RB- K Hunt, A. Kamara, S Michel
WR- Beckham, A THielen, Julio Jones, S Watkins, C Davis, G Tate, C Coleman, Mike Williams, Cooper Kupp, Trey Quinn, C sutton
TE- Njoku, Gesicki, Goedart

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 am

izekial wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 am
Before the draft, i remember Trich being widely considered a cant miss prospect and the best RB to hit the NFL since Adrian Peterson.
Lessons need to be learned from TRich, but Lacy and Ball don't deserve to be in the conversation when bringing up Barkley. Lacy was a 3rd round rookie pick until late-season performances shot him up. Neither him nor Ball were ever considered close to what Barkley is now.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:31 am

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 am
Lessons need to be learned from TRich, but Lacy and Ball don't deserve to be in the conversation when bringing up Barkley. Lacy was a 3rd round rookie pick until late-season performances shot him up. Neither him nor Ball were ever considered close to what Barkley is now.
No player to my recollection has been hyped as much as Trent Richardson and fallen so far. He was a can't miss RB who was cemented into the 1.1 pick no matter where he went. That didn't work out so well.

That's good information to keep in mind when looking to pay the high price the 1.1 is demanding.

However, the TRich situation was an unusual one. Usually the 1.1 tends to work out ok. They may not become the super star you thought they would, but most end up being solid players.

The reason the hype is SO big right now is that Barkley looks like the type of player who, as someone posted above, is a once in a generation type of talent. It would be surprising if he went bust outside of a fluke injury. He may not put up the top 3 RB numbers some people expect him to though. For MOST players, they need a team and scheme around them in order to produce those top end numbers. Look at Gurley, Bell, Kamara, Hunt...all those players at the top of RB fantasy production are playing for teams with friendly systems to their skill set and for teams that have other weapons so teams can't shut down the RB defensively.

Barry Sanders is one of the only RB's to my recollection who could put up amazing stats with NOBODY around him. I feel that no matter where Barkley goes he'll put up nice stats. But, to put up stats like Barry Sanders if he's playing in Cleveland for example? Well, maybe he's still the top producer. But, that would be pretty special. RB's who play in doors behind good o-lines, on good teams, in weaker divisions, with the right coaches.......well, they produce those high numbers.

I would NOT draft Barkley as the 1.1 in start up drafts for that reason. I need to see what happens with his situation first before I could come even close to saying that. Now, if Indy drafts him and Luck comes back healthy and the Colts take care of some offensive line issues...well, then, sure, draft him 1.1. But to take him over Gurley or Elliot right now is just WAY too premature.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 am

Lacy and Ball don't belong anywhere near this conversation.

TRich, on the other hand, was spoken in the same breath. But he and Bush are the only "transcendents" that I can remember busting at RB. Bush was a different type of "weapon," so I won't get into comparing him with Barkley. But let's break that down a little further from Richardson's perspective. It's easy to throw that against the wall and hope that it sticks as "risk," but was it really THAT risky to invest a lot of value in acquiring him? After Richardson's rookie year, it was easy to see that he had a very volume-driven season, and that he didn't show many positives on tape (much like Mehlvin has done). You would think that since he didn't meet his otherworldly pre-draft expectations, that his stock would have taken at least a slight hit, right? Well, the following year, his value proved to be extremely insulated, and he was actually a start-up 1.1 in many cases, and at worst was the 1.3. So if most owners wanted to "get out" after watching a year of NFL film, they still had their chance. Some sold for even more when he was shipped to Indy. Then you have the whole mental make-up issue, which Barkley doesn't seem to posses, although that's a little more subjective so I won't get into it.

Bottom line is that there is plenty to show that a transcendent talent (or someone who is viewed that way by the majority) will have substantial insulation, regardless of how his season goes (so long as he gets volume, which Barkley certainly will, outside of injury). He's not as risky as most make it seem. Barkley won't even have to have that great of a rookie season to land him in the top 3-5 of start-ups next year.

gameaholica
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gameaholica » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:49 pm

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013elacy.php

Example.. read his strengths.. sound familiar?

I am drafting Barkely at 1.1 rookie draft. If I was in a start up, that wouldn't be the case.

Yes, my point was the rookie fever is upon us. Winter is coming. Guess who drafted Richardson, Lacy, and Ball? Yep. I drafted Ryan Mathews aka Mr.Glass too.

I am hoping he is the next LT or All Day... but no one knows the future. I have learned to hope for the best, but expect the worst. Pump the brakes.
TheFantasyFootballGuys Dynasty League (13 keeper-PPR)
QB: Mahomes | Stafford | Mayfield
RB: Barkely | Henry | Etienne | Akers | Penny |
WR: Thomas | Bateman | Pittman | Metchie | Shaheed | W. Robinson
TE: Dulcich | Kincaid | Latu
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-Flex-K-DEF

Buzz's BBQ Dynasty League(18 keeper-PPR)
QB: J Allen | Stafford |
RB: J.Williams | J Taylor | Mostert | Herbert | Hall | Tucker | Charbonnet
WR: Chase | AJ Brown | Mims | JSN | Metchie | W Robinson
TE: Engram | LaPorta | Pitts | Latu | Ferguson
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:02 pm

gameaholica wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:49 pm http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013elacy.php

Example.. read his strengths.. sound familiar?

I am drafting Barkely at 1.1 rookie draft. If I was in a start up, that wouldn't be the case.

Yes, my point was the rookie fever is upon us. Winter is coming. Guess who drafted Richardson, Lacy, and Ball? Yep. I drafted Ryan Mathews aka Mr.Glass too.

I am hoping he is the next LT or All Day... but no one knows the future. I have learned to hope for the best, but expect the worst. Pump the brakes.
Still, Lacy and Ball don't deserve to be mentioned here. Lacy was a good prospect, but just not in the same stratosphere as Saquon and TRich were as prospects. He was also good in the NFL. He just struggled to maintain a good weight.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:59 pm

kris_kapsner wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:31 am Barry Sanders is one of the only RB's to my recollection who could put up amazing stats with NOBODY around him. I feel that no matter where Barkley goes he'll put up nice stats. But, to put up stats like Barry Sanders if he's playing in Cleveland for example? Well, maybe he's still the top producer. But, that would be pretty special. RB's who play in doors behind good o-lines, on good teams, in weaker divisions, with the right coaches.......well, they produce those high numbers.
Peterson did it for most of his career as well
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Saying Barkley is the 1.01 start up is pure insanity. If you want the 1.01 rookie pick in 2019 feel free. I prefer to win
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Never Veto wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm Saying Barkley is the 1.01 start up is pure insanity. If you want the 1.01 rookie pick in 2019 feel free. I prefer to win
We'll see in 12 months :D

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Ghosted wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm We'll see in 12 months :D
But what's to gain from it though?

If someone had the 1.01 in a startup and really wanted Barkley, they could trade down, get more picks, and still get Barkley towards the end of the 1st round.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm
Ghosted wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm We'll see in 12 months :D
But what's to gain from it though?

If someone had the 1.01 in a startup and really wanted Barkley, they could trade down, get more picks, and still get Barkley towards the end of the 1st round.
Great point. I said in another post my goal would be to buy back years and get a + on top of it by selling older studs (DJ, Bell). If you have Barkley as "your guy," it would be a great option to trade down in a start-up, if possible. Conversely, as I pointed out above, if you didn't feel like you could make that happen, you could still just pick him and trust that his value will be insulated, regardless of what happens. He's actually much "safer" than he's given credit for. Gurley pops another knee, or Zeke another suspension, and they might not actually be as insulated, if that makes sense. There's inherent value built in to Barkley being so clean.