General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Saquon Barkley - RB - THE RB Y'all

Postby Dynos » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:09 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:52 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm Just got done watching Barkley's tape from this year and now I'm a little curious, is there a clip of him trucking a defender anywhere? I don't recall him doing it even once in the 9 games I watched.
Just watched a 10 minute long highlight tape, saw him lower the shoulder and bounce off a defender but no truck stick level stuff, but since it's a highlight tape there werent any ugly short yardage power plays. I know Barkley is 20 lbs. heavier, but kind of reminds me of Reggie Bush, supreme athlete has vision, moves, and can catch, but just wasnt powerful/tough enough to transition all of that to the NFL where these super athletes get caught up to. Not the Bush had a bad career but he sure as heck didn't live up to his expectations.
You know what's funny is that while I was watching Barkley I thought he reminded me of Bush. However I went back and watched some old Bush footage ( :ewink: ) and concluded they're not as similar as I thought. Also, they might put up similar combine numbers but Barkley will be doing it at 20+ lbs heavier than Bush.
I'm not an expert in evaluating running backs. But what are the concerned with the fact he never trucked anyone?

Thanks for the explanation!
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 am

Dynos wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 am

Just watched a 10 minute long highlight tape, saw him lower the shoulder and bounce off a defender but no truck stick level stuff, but since it's a highlight tape there werent any ugly short yardage power plays. I know Barkley is 20 lbs. heavier, but kind of reminds me of Reggie Bush, supreme athlete has vision, moves, and can catch, but just wasnt powerful/tough enough to transition all of that to the NFL where these super athletes get caught up to. Not the Bush had a bad career but he sure as heck didn't live up to his expectations.
You know what's funny is that while I was watching Barkley I thought he reminded me of Bush. However I went back and watched some old Bush footage ( :ewink: ) and concluded they're not as similar as I thought. Also, they might put up similar combine numbers but Barkley will be doing it at 20+ lbs heavier than Bush.
I'm not an expert in evaluating running backs. But what are the concerned with the fact he never trucked anyone?

Probably none, I just thought it was odd given his size and athleticism. His inside running certainly needs work. And just overall he doesn’t run with a ton of leverage/power, even at close to top speed he’s bouncing off tackles getting knocked sideways and backwards even. My theory is he’s very light on his feet and leaves his feet a lot, which works for juking ppl and being super agile but not so much when you need to finish off a run and get those extra 2-3 yards. I think he’s going to go through a learning period like David Johnson did coming into the NFL. There are a lot of similarities there.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:15 am

Dynos wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 am

If he wins with speed and agility and is next level like Chris Johnson (4.23 40 yard dash), Jamaal Charles or LeSean McCoy, he can get away with playing less powerfully.

But overall the NFL is faster and stronger than college (usually this is the biggest learning curve is to comprehend the game at a faster pace) so barkley's speed and agility that he wins with in college is going to be less effective in the pros possibly. While watching his highlight tape he usually has a good sized hole, makes it through some weak looking arm tackles and then out runs everyone to break off at 70 yard TD. In the NFL the holes are going to be smaller, the arm tackles are going to bring him down/slow him down more than in college, and the defenders will catch him from behind more often.

If he cant run with the power necessary to bust through this contact I think he will have a tough time, because he will have to bounce a lot of runs outside, and since he won't be as fast compared to college players he won't always make it to the edge and be able to cut up the sideline.

I think he has the capability to put down his shoulder and truck people because he moves so fast and has a good amount of weight and a low center of gravity. He just hasn't showed it in college and should be a legitimate concern that he hasnt shown himself to be a powerful runner.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

polk_high_allstar
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby polk_high_allstar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 am

Barkley reminds me more of LT then Bush. Don't remember Tomlinson ever "trucking" someone and most likely extended his career by not doing so.
Madden Cruisers (10 Team)
QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, FLEX, K, 2 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB(1 IR)

QB - J. Garoppolo, J. Winston
RB - S. Barkley, J. Mixon, R. Penny, M. Sanders, D. Foreman, C. Hyde, G. Bernard
WR - A. Cooper, C. Kupp, C. Davis, C. Godwin, D. Metcalf, D. Westbrook, K. Stills, D.Parker, D. Moncrief
TE - D. Njoku
DL -J. Watt, C. Dunlap, E. Griffen
LB - L. Kuechly, B. Wagner, T. Edmunds
DB - H. Clinton-Dix, D. Kazee
K - M. Crosby

Madden Cruisers (12 Team)
QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SFLEX, FLEX, DT, DE, 2 LB, CB, S, 2 FLEX

https://www53.myfantasyleague.com/2018/ ... =0005&O=07

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 am

He's a speed guy not a power guy. Doesn't concern me that he's not trucking people. My bigger concern is him bouncing runs out, but I think that will be coached out of him pretty easily. He's supremely talented. My money's on him doing just fine in the NFL.

JSylvester87
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JSylvester87 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 am He's a speed guy not a power guy. Doesn't concern me that he's not trucking people. My bigger concern is him bouncing runs out, but I think that will be coached out of him pretty easily. He's supremely talented. My money's on him doing just fine in the NFL.

He is the strongest RB in college.
War Eagle - 16 Team, going into year 9

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 TE/WR, 1K, 1D
QB: Patrick Mahomes, Dwayne Haskins, Mason Rudolph
RB: Le’Veon Bell, Dalvin Cook, Kerryon Johnson, Tony Pollard, Malcolm Brown
WR: JuJu Smith-Schuster, Odell Beckham, Michael Gallup, Sammy Watkins, Antonio Callaway
TE: Mark Andrews, Eric Ebron, Tyler Higbee
K: Will Lutz
D: Bears D
Champion 2012, 2013 , 2014 runner up, 2019 runner up.

UATahoe
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UATahoe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:07 pm

He may lift the most weight but he definitely isn’t the strongest runner.
12 Team PPR League 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Flex 1Te 1Def 1K

1 QB Mahomes, Dak Prescott
2 RB Mixon, Kamara, Melvin Gordon, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Justice Hill, Boston Scott, Ito Smith
3 WR Godwin, K. Allen, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Kelvin Harmon, Martavis Bryant, Core Coleman(IR) Preston Williams(IR)
1 TE Mark Andrews, H. Henry, H. Hurst, Ian Thomas, Goedert
D/ST Bears
K Zane Gonzalez

Riffraff
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby Riffraff » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 pm

JSylvester87 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm He is the strongest RB in college.
You may want to google 'Guice squats 650 pounds'.

Barkley squats 525 pounds per google. He could probably do a little more if he tries for a single squat. No way he can add 125 more pounds though.

Both guys are impressive, until we read that Ladainian Tomlinson was squating 800 pounds.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 pm

JSylvester87 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 am He's a speed guy not a power guy. Doesn't concern me that he's not trucking people. My bigger concern is him bouncing runs out, but I think that will be coached out of him pretty easily. He's supremely talented. My money's on him doing just fine in the NFL.

He is the strongest RB in college.
His style is that of a "speed guy"

hankmurphy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby hankmurphy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:59 am

Riffraff wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 pm
JSylvester87 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm He is the strongest RB in college.
You may want to google 'Guice squats 650 pounds'.

Barkley squats 525 pounds per google. He could probably do a little more if he tries for a single squat. No way he can add 125 more pounds though.

Both guys are impressive, until we read that Ladainian Tomlinson was squating 800 pounds.

Barkley squats 600 according to at least 2 articles found after a quick Google search. Couldn't find anything about LT squatting anywhere near 800.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000817998

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... y-campaign

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 am

I don't need know who's the "strongest guy in college" coming out but Barkley's 405lb power clean is super impressive. I'm happy to power clean my own body weight.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:52 pm

I won't pretend to be any sort of expert on RB evaluation, but Barkley has looked like a supreme talent to me. Assuming he gets passable NFL coaching (frankly, a dangerous thing to assume these days) he looks to me like he could turn into David Johnson. His price is already crazy for not having seen an NFL snap, but if things go right his ceiling is unparalleled.

I moved OBJ for Barkley and a 2019 1st. I legitimately think I got the better end of the deal.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:45 pm

I've been evaluating RB's for dynasty fantasy football for 16 years. In that time, Barkley is the best overall talent I've ever evaluated in my opinion.

There were some REALLY good players in that time span...including my favorite RB, Adrian Peterson. AP was AMAZING coming out of college. Better than anyone I've seen up to this point. And, there are parts of AP's game that are supreme to Barkley. But, AP never had the hands you hope to see. And, he never developed them in the NFL either.

Barkley has more talent than David Johnson, Elliot, Gurley, Bell.....but, he may or may not reach their stats. The reason for that is that there are a lot of factors that come into play when it comes to statistical success in the NFL. Do the coaches and scheme put the player in a position for success? How's the offensive line? Is there enough of a passing game to take pressure off the running game...without being so good that the passing game and QB outshine the running game? What division is the player playing in where he'll be facing teams twice a year against soft or great defenses? So many things come in to play.

But, as far as an overall talent goes, Barkley is a beast and I have hopes for him to have a similar career to hall of fame LT2.

Just some side food for thought. Offensive line rankings for some of the teams putting forth their RB's this year.

LSU ranked 4th (Guise)
Georgia ranked 12th (Michel and Chubb)
Auburn ranked 25th (Keryon Johnson)
USC ranked 38th (Ronald Jones)
Penn State ranked 63rd (Barkley)

Barkley had the worst o-line by a substantial number this past year compared to the other RB's expected to go in the top 6 or so RB's off our fantasy boards. Barkley learning to bounce runs outside and trying to create more than what was given to him was almost a necessity. He's a student of the game and will easily adjust to the NFL way of doing things. Just food for thought.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to start a whole thing about trucking ppl I just thought it was really weird I didn't see it once. You can think Barkley is the best prospect you've ever seen but his inside running is something to be desired. It's clearly not his mentality but I'm sure it's something that can be coached up at the NFL level given his athletic gifts. I agree his line was awful but even when he did have time it was hit and miss.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 am

People were saying that Barkley squatted less than Guise. I don't know which player can squat more. But, it was said that Guise squatted 600 pounds. According to this video Barkley squatted 600 pounds and ran a 4.38 40 yard dash at their team test day as a sophomore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F77LVHQHcc4
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings