2018 RB rookie discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Re: 2018 RB rookie discussion

Postby cazzie33 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:33 am

Caught it all... 92-yds on one play. Something like 45 yds on the other 17. Had a good game receiving.

Still without the big play was under 3 ypc rushing. Which I think tends to support the claim he isn't as effective being a pile mover but is great once in space.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:58 am

jman3134 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 pm What about deeper prospects like Detrez Newsome, John Smith, De'Lance Turner, Trenton Cannon, Bubba Jenkins? Anyone see any of these guys?
Brief Notes on my all underrated:

John Smith, Husson - probably the most underrated atm. He is an extremely shifty back with a nice jump cut and decent vision jumping outside. What remains to be seen and what he will have to demonstrate to scouts is that he can pass catch (wasn't used this way in college b/c dominated bad competition in D3). Also, he will have to improve his YAC, as this looks to be an area he can improve on tape.
Projection: Round 6 - undrafted

Bubba Jenkins, Morningside - north-south runner, not sure he will receive the opportunities he should because I doubt his combine numbers will jump off the page in terms of raw 40 time etc. He is shifty enough and quick enough to the outside, but his real strength is his vision and patience following what the line gives him. He can pass catch, and at least makes an effort to pass block, though this could be an area of weakness moving forward. Solid fundamental back with good enough in game quickness.
Projection: Round 7 - undrafted

De'Lance Turner, Alcorn St. - strong back with decent quickness, but isn't the most explosive off the bounce, though his 40 time will likely say otherwise. He makes up for this with elusive moves, but can break tackles and might be able to have a role on special teams as well.
Projection: Round 6 - undrafted

Deshawn Salter, Yale - very, very underrated player who sat out part of the year with a broken collarbone. He is a strong back with very good athleticism and quickness. He can pass catch and does a nice job breaking tackles. He should be a camp invite at the least.
Projection: Round 7 - undrafted

Trenton Cannon, Virginia St. - in terms of shiftiness, he is right up there with Smith on this list. Cannon is explosive between the tackles, can act as a receiver at times, and possesses solid breakaway speed. I expect him to be one of the biggest risers at the combine.
Projection: Round 4 - 7

Detrez Newsome, Western Carolina - model of consistency and endurance who is a strong bruiser who can play at the NFL level. He is probably highest on scouts' radars right now and for good reason: he is tough to bring down. Athletic stats probably won't wow you, but he will make a roster.
Projection: Round 5 - 7
Last edited by jman3134 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

elkoholic08
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby elkoholic08 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Am i the only one who loves kalen ballage? Guy is a freak who has speed and can catch. Was a monster last year and just not used well this year in college despite having talent sorta like....Alvin Kamara. I hope i can get him at like 2.03 but i think he's going to be a monster at the combine and maybe get into the first round of my 14 team rookie draft. We shall see where he gets drafted though.
Dynasty 14 team 1/2 ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1 TE 2 FLEX

QB- Brees,Winston
RB: Kamara, Josh Jacobs, J.Howard, K. Ballage, Tre Carson
WR: JuJu, Arob, DK Metcalf,, Crowder, Agholor, Allison, D.Robinson, R.Cage
TE: Noah Fant, Jonnue Smith
2020: 1st (projected) two 3rd, two 4th and a 5th
2021: 1,1, 2, 3,4,5

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 pm

elkoholic08 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm Am i the only one who loves kalen ballage? Guy is a freak who has speed and can catch. Was a monster last year and just not used well this year in college despite having talent sorta like....Alvin Kamara. I hope i can get him at like 2.03 but i think he's going to be a monster at the combine and maybe get into the first round of my 14 team rookie draft. We shall see where he gets drafted though.

Great pass catcher, freak athlete but questionable vision and his instincts as a RB are wrong. Better athlete than a RB. He never really took control of the reps and was always in a rbbc splitting touches. If he gets dearfted into the right situation ,coach,system he could be a good weapon.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Kalen ballage, Jerick McKinnon 2.0 freak athlete with good catching skills, but as unrefined as the oil sands of northern Alberta. Good value at the beginning of the third, end of the second
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm

You guys this class isn’t even close to last year. Whoever just said will this rival 2008? This one won’t touch 2017 forget about 2008.

The same bleep happened with the 2015 wr class that everyone freaked out about After extreme success with the 2014 WRs.

Michel isn’t kamara. Stop. Right now. Before you give proven assets for a fuggazzi
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 pm

One more item. Barkley is amazing. Generational talent top 7 dynasty back before he’s drafted.

We had 4 rb1s out of this 2017 class year one. To think anyone but barkley out of this group will be a top 10 rb next season is crazy.
Stop saying everyone is kamara. They aren’t. There isn’t a hunt in this draft either.

Just like Kevin white wasn’t mike Evans and Amari cooper isn’t Odell Beckham. DGB was megatron and Parker was the next aj green. Relax and my god sell your 18 draft picks if this thread is any indication on what they are valued!
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Safe to say Guice, Chubb, and maybe one more have the potential to be rb1s. Not sure this class is overhyped unless you are referring to the receivers.
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
K:

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:11 am

I still succomb to rookie feverish tendencies at times (or at least over-excitement), but I have watched college football for so long that I have really learned from my mistakes. At a very young age, a couple RBs came out of college and I felt they would be great pros, even if they did not get drafted extremely high in the NFL. Two names, Troy Davis and Byron Hanspaard. I might not have been playing dynasty football yet or if Dynasty was even a thing, but still to this day do I know college success does not automatically beget professional success. They both looked the part as far as I recall and I believe were 2000 yard rushers (Iowa State and Texas Tech). Those teams were also doormats of their conferences at the time and Tech was not the crazy, spread offense that they are now either.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:29 am

I didn't have the time to scout much last offseason, but I'm back at it again this year. I think this year's RB class is the best class in the past decade, excluding last year (which is kinda cheap, I know, but I didn't scout them so I can't rate them). There are at 6-7 backs I've already watched that I feel are better than half the starting backs in the NFL.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:02 am

From all the early Mock drafts, it seems like behind Barkley, nobody knows who should be the 2nd/3rd/4th RB off the board. The way the NFL has been changing towards more versatile pass catching RBs out of the backfield, I think some of the bruisers (Chubb) could slide behind the more shifty RBs in the NFL draft.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 am

Just watching a little tape, I see some shiftier backs at small schools. I expect some no names to go rounds 4-7 and make a splash at camp. I think plodders/short yardage plays like Scarbough will slip come August rookie drafts. I could be wrong, but I don't see the same talent level for wrs at small schools or even qbs as there were in previous seasons. This is an rb year.
K:

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm

jman3134 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 am Just watching a little tape, I see some shiftier backs at small schools. I expect some no names to go rounds 4-7 and make a splash at camp. I think plodders/short yardage plays like Scarbough will slip come August rookie drafts. I could be wrong, but I don't see the same talent level for wrs at small schools or even qbs as there were in previous seasons. This is an rb year.
Maybe I missed it, but this is the first mention of Scarbrough that I've seen.

In continuing with the line of Alabama RBs, I have to imagine he's taken in the top 3 rounds. I don't think he's a special talent, but he could see time as a 1/2 down back.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:35 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm
jman3134 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 am Just watching a little tape, I see some shiftier backs at small schools. I expect some no names to go rounds 4-7 and make a splash at camp. I think plodders/short yardage plays like Scarbough will slip come August rookie drafts. I could be wrong, but I don't see the same talent level for wrs at small schools or even qbs as there were in previous seasons. This is an rb year.
Maybe I missed it, but this is the first mention of Scarbrough that I've seen.

In continuing with the line of Alabama RBs, I have to imagine he's taken in the top 3 rounds. I don't think he's a special talent, but he could see time as a 1/2 down back.
Top 3 rounds of rookie draft (I def agree with that), or NFL draft? My comment about rounds 4-7 was referring to the overall NFL draft.

He will definitely get opportunity, as will many of the backs in this class. I think this is the deepest we have seen in 10 years or so.
K:

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm

IBall2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:02 am From all the early Mock drafts, it seems like behind Barkley, nobody knows who should be the 2nd/3rd/4th RB off the board. The way the NFL has been changing towards more versatile pass catching RBs out of the backfield, I think some of the bruisers (Chubb) could slide behind the more shifty RBs in the NFL draft.
Totally agree.

My hottish take prediction of this year is that Akrum Wadley will be taken within the first 5 RBs. Late on day 2 pick.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)