Cleveland Browns Get 2 of top 4 picks

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Cleveland Browns Get 2 of top 4 picks

Postby Bot101 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 pm

They should draft their guy and go hard after Alex Smith.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:29 pm

skip wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:04 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 pm The more I think about it, Cleveland should trade one of those picks, or at the very least use 1.01 on a non-QB.

You’d have to think they could get a ton of value just by moving back from 4 to 6 or 11 or so.
So basically make the exact same mistake they do every year. Trade down to add picks but end up drafting one of the QBs that isn't a franchise talent. That's how they've been losing for almost 20 years.
I agree they need to take the punt on qb this year but I would argue their trading back in the last 2 drafts was the right decision rather then a mistake. Got good capital and I think have drafted well recently, but it's time to take one of the top guys!!! (If you can't tell I'm actually rooting for browns to not suck, also I'm a colts fan so no bias)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Bot101 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 pm They should draft their guy and go hard after Alex Smith.
Why would they grab Smith? Kizer, or even Kessler, can function as a bridge. Smith is going to want a shot to be the long-term option.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

xnbomb
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby xnbomb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 pm

they have a ton of cap space, and can win the division tomorrow if they sign smith

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm

skip wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:04 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 pm The more I think about it, Cleveland should trade one of those picks, or at the very least use 1.01 on a non-QB.

You’d have to think they could get a ton of value just by moving back from 4 to 6 or 11 or so.
So basically make the exact same mistake they do every year. Trade down to add picks but end up drafting one of the QBs that isn't a franchise talent. That's how they've been losing for almost 20 years.
No not necessarily. Maybe they take their franchise QB at 1.01, but then they could deal 1.04 to a team looking for a QB and get an overpay to move back.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

TheEastWest
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheEastWest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 am

I believe the Browns should draft Barkley at #1 and grab their QB at #4 .. Cousins signing with the Browns is a pipe dream !! At least 20% of the league will be trying to sign Cousins. Who in their right mind would believe he chooses Cleveland.
Standard 10 man
QB Rogers - Big Ben- Jackson-
RB Gurley- Bell- Mixon - Conner- M Brown - Burkhead, Warren, Ballage
WR OBJ , Julio- AJG- Kupp- Sanders- John Brown- Allison- MVS- Hogan - T Williams- Humphries
TE- Ertz - Reed-

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:21 am

TheEastWest wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 am I believe the Browns should draft Barkley at #1 and grab their QB at #4 .. Cousins signing with the Browns is a pipe dream !! At least 20% of the league will be trying to sign Cousins. Who in their right mind would believe he chooses Cleveland.
Cleveland's got crazy cap space. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he signs there.

TheEastWest
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheEastWest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 am

I don’t think Cousins simply signs with the highest bidder.. Plenty of teams can create cap space to sign Cousins and he will break the bank and still be able to go to a stable franchise.. Cousins holds the cards at this time , no way he signs with the Browns!
Standard 10 man
WR OBJ , Julio- AJG- Kupp- Sanders- John Brown- Allison- MVS- Hogan - T Williams- Humphries
TE- Ertz - Reed-

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 am

TheEastWest wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 am I don’t think Cousins simply signs with the highest bidder.. Plenty of teams can create cap space to sign Cousins and he will break the bank and still be able to go to a stable franchise.. Cousins holds the cards at this time , no way he signs with the Browns!
This is what I've been thinking as well. Cousins probably wants to go to a team that can win now (or relatively soon) so the 2 main teams that come to mind are the Jaguars and Vikings, both could use an upgrade at QB and already showed what they can do with middle of the road QB play.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:48 am

TheEastWest wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 am I don’t think Cousins simply signs with the highest bidder.. Plenty of teams can create cap space to sign Cousins and he will break the bank and still be able to go to a stable franchise.. Cousins holds the cards at this time , no way he signs with the Browns!
I definitely understand what you're saying and don't think he only cares about getting the most money possible. I do think he still strongly considers them because they will have a good surrounding cast around him on offense (good offensive line, potentially Saquon, and good receivers).

TheEastWest
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheEastWest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am

The OL will be losing its anchor when Thomas hangs it up in the next few years if not as soon as this year. .
Flash is one mistake from being out of the league and Coleman always seems to be hurt. Plus who goes out of their way to live in Cleveland when at least 6-7 teams will be in a all out war to sign Cousins..
If i were the Browns I wouldn’t want to spend a huge chunk on my cap on a 30 year old QB who’s better off with a win now team like the Vikings .
I don’t believe Cousins is a good fit for either side..
Browns are better off drafting their guy at #4 to pair up with Barkley and still having tons of cap room to address the D side of the ball ..
The Browns are not a Cousins type away from making a SB run .. Better to add more youth to a young team then trying a quick fix with a good but aging QB .
Standard 10 man
TE- Ertz - Reed-

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 am

TheEastWest wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am If i were the Browns I wouldn’t want to spend a huge chunk on my cap on a 30 year old QB who’s better off with a win now team like the Vikings .
I don’t believe Cousins is a good fit for either side..
Browns are better off drafting their guy at #4 to pair up with Barkley and still having tons of cap room to address the D side of the ball ..
The Browns are not a Cousins type away from making a SB run .. Better to add more youth to a young team then trying a quick fix with a good but aging QB .
Cousins @ 30 years old has arguably just as many years left in the NFL as Barkley does @ 21 years old. If they tied up Cousins with Barkley for at least the next 4-6 years I could see them really turning things around.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:32 am

Great conversation thread guys. CLE has a history of back picks/Luck...almost to a point where I believe in voodoo. Lol

Makes one skiddish to believe in them this year but I see the signing of Haley as a major plus.

Take their QB at the draft and sign a veteran to carry the team for a few years. CLE has a good OL so Barkley will flourish immediately as long as he isn’t assigned as Josh Gordon’s roommate.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed, Bateman
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.07, 2.06, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: Achane, K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 0.0 (Blutarski)
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:46 pm

I’d have to imagine the value of the Vikings WRs would rise further still with Cousins. Same in Jacksonville.

TheEastWest
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheEastWest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:35 pm

Maybe Vikings put thier name in the hat for Cousins. Obviously Cousins will get paid but I don’t believe he will simply sign with the highest bidder.. He in a sense gambled on himself by refusing long term deals and his first priority will be to sign with a stable organization ... Browns don’t qualify as stable to say the least ..
I’m not a Browns fan but I’d like to see them stock pile more youth and draft Barkley and a QB at #4.. I feel signing Cousins would be a poor fit for both sides ..
Standard 10 man
TE- Ertz - Reed-