Cleveland Browns Get 2 of top 4 picks

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Cleveland Browns Get 2 of top 4 picks

Postby skip » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Lotto4Life wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am Or, as cleveland.com and/or Mr Haverlack say, maybe McCarron is their QB
I'd love to think this won't happen, but it is the typical Cleveland move... Sign a veteran free agent who offers zero upside and suspect ability to act as your "bridge" to the future. Meanwhile you take the 4th or 5th QB from the class who tanks completely after the veteran has already gotten benched for being ineffective. Front office personnel get shown the door during the off season.

Rinse and repeat...after all, this is the way the Browns have been winning over the last 20 years.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re:

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:37 pm

skip wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 am The smart thing is definitely to take the QB at 1.01. Then with the draft currency they have to try to move up to 1.02 from 1.04 to take Barkley (if he's their target). The Giants are not taking him at #2. They have a plethora of holes, most notably their QB...BUT they can get that same QB at 1.04 as the Colts should not be taking one (presumably, Luck is healthy). They would be foolish to pass on such a deal, imo. It's possible that the Giants move further back from 1.02 but I don't believe anyone is going to be trading up into that spot for Barkley with the QBs that are in this class. The move will definitely be for a QB. The 1.03 pick is really the key pick if the Browns and Giants don't work out a trade for 1.02. Either the Colts take Barkley there or they trade out of the pick. Much like the 1.02, I expect a trade to again involve a QB - in which case Barkley would be there for the Browns at 1.04.
That's one hell of a take skip, and it almost makes too much sense. Cleveland easily possesses the draft capital to move from 1.04 to 1.02 and there has already been speculation that NYG might just use that premium pick to amass additional draft assets due to their (stated) belief in Eli for another 2-3 years.

I would love to see Cleveland go big and land Barkley plus their choice of QB. As AussieMate said piling on the failures of the Browns is getting tiring, and I personally would love to see the franchise return to relevance.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

The Grudge
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby The Grudge » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:02 pm

I dont think they return to relevance this year. I dont believe Hugh knows how to coach the players he has. And if they take a QB and Barkley I am sure he will screw that up. I own numerous Browns players, and hope that this time next year they have a new coach and maybe just maybe be able to coach the talent that they have. I am not a Browns fan, but I am rooting for them to turn things around. I mean the amount of draft picks they have had over the last couple years and players they have brought in. And hopefully the QB revolving door will soon close for them, or they will need to find a 2nd jersey to put names on.
Team#1-12 team ppr 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/RB-WR-TE Flex/2DE/3LB/3DB/DE-LB-DB Flex 18 Starters
QB: Wilson, Allan, Big Ben
RB: Mixon, J. Taylor, Ekeler, R. Jones, Edmonds, D. Harris, Freeman, Gio, K. Hill, Tony Jones
WR: Cooper, Hopkins, Godwin, Cooks, Jeudy, Higgins, E. Moore, Callaway, Palmer, Slayton,
TE: Kittle, Jonnu Smith, Tonyan, RSJ, Parham, Albert O
K:
DE: Heyward, Hendrickson, Davenport
LB: Jayon Brown, Littleton, Leonard, Warner, Mosley, Wilson, Gay,
DB: Byard, Bell, Jenkins

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:22 am

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... iver_index

To Skip's speculation, I saw a mock draft on a reputable site that hypothesized Cleveland trading 1.1, 1.4 and other picks for Luck.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 am

What’s interesting is that in this “strong” class of QB’s, there is a lack of consensus as to which QB is best. There isn’t an Andrew Luck in this class that stands above the rest.

That puts the Browns in an interesting position with picks 1 and 4.

If in their evaluation process there are 1 or even 2 QB’s who they like better than the rest, they HAVE to take that QB at 1. However, if there are 3 QB’s they like virtually equally, they should draft Barkley at 1 and wait for the QB at 4.

In either case they need a QB out of one of those two picks. And, in my opinion, they should sign a veteran QB to lead the team this year. Josh McCown is the perfect fit for that. Kiser and the rookie QB could both sit and learn.

I disagree with the people saying that the Browns should trade up to move from 4 to 2 so they can get their QB and Barkley. They need a LOT of pieces. It would probably cost them a 2nd and possibly more to do that. They are FAR better off keeping their picks. In fact, if they take their QB at 1, I think they should trade down from 4 if Barkley is gone as expected and accumulate more picks while staying in the first round and getting another 2nd plus more.

There are good RB’s sitting in the 2nd or 3rd in this draft to pair up with Duke Johnson if they feel the need. If Nick Chubb is there early 2nd, GREAT! If he’s not, a guy like Royce Freeman might be perfect later.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 pm

kris_kapsner wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:00 am What’s interesting is that in this “strong” class of QB’s, there is a lack of consensus as to which QB is best. There isn’t an Andrew Luck in this class that stands above the rest.

That puts the Browns in an interesting position with picks 1 and 4.

If in their evaluation process there are 1 or even 2 QB’s who they like better than the rest, they HAVE to take that QB at 1. However, if there are 3 QB’s they like virtually equally, they should draft Barkley at 1 and wait for the QB at 4.

In either case they need a QB out of one of those two picks. And, in my opinion, they should sign a veteran QB to lead the team this year. Josh McCown is the perfect fit for that. Kiser and the rookie QB could both sit and learn.

I disagree with the people saying that the Browns should trade up to move from 4 to 2 so they can get their QB and Barkley. They need a LOT of pieces. It would probably cost them a 2nd and possibly more to do that. They are FAR better off keeping their picks. In fact, if they take their QB at 1, I think they should trade down from 4 if Barkley is gone as expected and accumulate more picks while staying in the first round and getting another 2nd plus more.

There are good RB’s sitting in the 2nd or 3rd in this draft to pair up with Duke Johnson if they feel the need. If Nick Chubb is there early 2nd, GREAT! If he’s not, a guy like Royce Freeman might be perfect later.
Completely agree with all this. One article I read argued a similar point- Zeke has been a great player for Dallas, would they have been better served taking Jalen Ramsey in the 1st and Jordan Howard in the 2nd.

Saquan would be a good get, but are they better served taking a tailback later?

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:36 pm

With the recent trades for Landry & Tyrod - do you feel that this increases or decreases the likelyhood they draft QB with one of the 2 picks?

Maybe they move down with one of the picks to re-stock the picks they spent.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

collbey
All Pro
All Pro

Postby collbey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:17 pm

[/quote]
Completely agree with all this. One article I read argued a similar point- Zeke has been a great player for Dallas, would they have been better served taking Jalen Ramsey in the 1st and Jordan Howard in the 2nd.

[/quote]

Of course you need to take Howard and not one the RBs taken before him who hasn't panned out. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:33 pm

Barkley #1, trade down with Phins at #4 so they grab Mayfield and get more capital.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:54 pm

collbey wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:17 pm

[/quote]

Of course you need to take Howard and not one the RBs taken before him who hasn't panned out. Hindsight is always 20/20.
[/quote]
The point wasn't hindsight criticism, but to see how lessons from the past could apply to the present. What if Cleveland took Bradley Chubb 1st overall then a RB in the 2nd, assuming Barkley's gone at 4.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:02 am

Browns should be cautious about trading down from #4- http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... _in_p.html