Cleveland Browns Get 2 of top 4 picks

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Cleveland Browns Get 2 of top 4 picks

Postby ericanadian » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:47 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm
GLSmk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm I think they would be dumb to draft any qb. Either roll with Kizer another year and actually try to develop him, or sign a vet. Draft Barkley and am o-lineman.
Kizer was terrible though. Not every QB is going to pull a Goff and drastically improve their 2nd year, not to mention Goff was a much better prospect than Kizer. Not every middling QB is going to pull a Foles and lead a team to the Superbowl. I believe they have been trying to sign vets, nobody wants to play there. It was a multi-year effort to get to this point to draft a QB in this draft class. It simply wouldn't make sense for them not to take one. If you want to argue they shouldn't take a QB #1 overall, fine. But don't draft one with either pick? Eh, you lose me there.
Cleveland will draft a QB. Haslam fired the GM for blowing up the McCarron deal, which was awful, but indicated how determined Haslam is to give Jackson a QB that he wants. Personally, I think if you're sticking with Jackson, drafting a QB is a mistake. Hue Jackson's QB management was awful last year. The plan was to start Kessler and let Kizer develop on the bench. Instead, Jackson gave Osweiler the bulk of the first team work in the preseason, knowing the team had no plans to keep him, and then inexplicably decided Kizer was ready to start after one pre-season start and some work against second and third team defenses. He the stated committment to riding it out with Kizer only to pull him in week two for Hogan and he continued to give Kizer a short leash for the following several weeks. If Jackson doesn't change, he will break whichever QB they draft like he broke Kizer & Kessler. He's a terrible coach and should've been fired.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:59 am

You don’t go 1-31 without some coaching acumen

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm

GLSmk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm I think they would be dumb to draft any qb. Either roll with Kizer another year and actually try to develop him, or sign a vet. Draft Barkley and am o-lineman.
Kizer was terrible though. Not every QB is going to pull a Goff and drastically improve their 2nd year, not to mention Goff was a much better prospect than Kizer. Not every middling QB is going to pull a Foles and lead a team to the Superbowl. I believe they have been trying to sign vets, nobody wants to play there. It was a multi-year effort to get to this point to draft a QB in this draft class. It simply wouldn't make sense for them not to take one. If you want to argue they shouldn't take a QB #1 overall, fine. But don't draft one with either pick? Eh, you lose me there.
I'm not saying Kizer wasn't terrible, or that he will be like Goff and turn it around. I'm saying Cleveland has shown 0 ability to draft a QB, so instead of wasting a pick, take the, I guess more guaranteed player (?? if that's a thing) and take Barkley and then pick your next biggest need other than QB. I think their defense is fine. I think their o-line is a piece or 2 away from being fine. They need a qb, yes, but... they haven't been able to draft one in the last, what, 10 years? (Some say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting a different result.)

don't waste the pick on a QB. that's all I'm saying.
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm

GLSmk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm
I'm not saying Kizer wasn't terrible, or that he will be like Goff and turn it around. I'm saying Cleveland has shown 0 ability to draft a QB, so instead of wasting a pick, take the, I guess more guaranteed player (?? if that's a thing) and take Barkley and then pick your next biggest need other than QB. I think their defense is fine. I think their o-line is a piece or 2 away from being fine. They need a qb, yes, but... they haven't been able to draft one in the last, what, 10 years? (Some say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting a different result.)

x2
[but you can never have too many great defensive players :wink: ]
The standard is the standard.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 am

Valhalla wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:59 am You don’t go 1-31 without some coaching acumen
this made me laugh . thanks pal !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 am

GLSmk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm ...Some say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting a different result.

Some would say passing on yet another chance to take your choice of QB at the top of the draft would be doing the same thing over and over.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Unless I'm missing something the Browns haven't taken a QB even remotely close to 1st overall since Tim Couch in 1999. So no, they haven't been drafting QB's left and right with the #1 or #2 overall picks and whiffing and/or failing to develop them. There's a reason Qb's fall to the late 1st or 2nd round where the Browns have been selecting them and it's b/c they're much more of a dice roll than the QB's that go 1.01 or 1.02. As Valhalla said, the Browns doing the same thing that doesn't work would be passing up on the opportunity to draft a QB #1 overall. The Browns have drafted a QB with an early-1st once in nearly 50 years.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Unless I'm missing something the Browns haven't taken a QB even remotely close to 1st overall since Tim Couch in 1999. So no, they haven't been drafting QB's left and right with the #1 or #2 overall picks and whiffing and/or failing to develop them. There's a reason Qb's fall to the late 1st or 2nd round where the Browns have been selecting them and it's b/c they're much more of a dice roll than the QB's that go 1.01 or 1.02. As Valhalla said, the Browns doing the same thing that doesn't work would be passing up on the opportunity to draft a QB #1 overall. The Browns have drafted a QB with an early-1st once in nearly 50 years.
This ^^ x2.
I know it's fun and all the cool kids do it but making fun of the browns is getting old.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:31 am

AussieMate wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm

This ^^ x2.
I know it's fun and all the cool kids do it but making fun of the browns is getting old.
I'm not even 'making fun of them', just stating that they have needs other than qb too that would make more sense than gambling on another rookie qb. I don't know what's so hard to understand about thinking they should push real hard for Cousins. I also never said they take a QB 1st or 2nd left and right, so not sure where you're pulling that from. QBs need time to develop, and it's hard to do that when you draft a new one every year. That's all I'm saying. Obviously we disagree, DD. That's fine. I hope you're right and if they take a QB 1st overall, he works out. If love to see the browns be more relevant. I actually kind of like the franchise
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 am

GLSmk wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:31 am
AussieMate wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm

This ^^ x2.
I'm not even 'making fun of them', just stating that they have needs other than qb too that would make more sense than gambling on another rookie qb. I don't know what's so hard to understand about thinking they should push real hard for Cousins. I also never said they take a QB 1st or 2nd left and right, so not sure where you're pulling that from. QBs need time to develop, and it's hard to do that when you draft a new one every year. That's all I'm saying. Obviously we disagree, DD. That's fine. I hope you're right and if they take a QB 1st overall, he works out. If love to see the browns be more relevant. I actually kind of like the franchise
We're discussing the Browns taking a QB with a top 4 pick, most likely #1 overall. You said "Some say, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting a different result...don't waste the pick on a QB." If your response was to be regarded as logical and relevant to the discussion, one would have to assume you meant the Browns have been spending multiple high 1sts (or even 1 at a minimum you would think?) throughout the past decade on QBs. That's where I'm getting it from, you equating them spending a top 4 draft pick as "doing the same thing." Turns out they haven't spent a single high 1st on a QB for well over a decade. The Browns have only used a pick in the top half of the 1st round once in 50 years on a QB. So the only thing they're doing over and over again that's not working is NOT spending a top pick on a QB. By your own logic you should be for the Browns taking a QB #1 overall, not against it. Saying they shouldn't draft a QB #1 or #4 overall in a good QB class because they whiffed on a few late-1st or 2nd round Qb's makes no sense in my opinion as I outlined in my previous post. We've already gone over the point that Cousins probably wants nothing to do with going to the Browns no matter how much money they throw at him. I never said it was a bad idea, only that it likely isn't feasible. QB is the single most important position on the field and can turn around a team/franchise the quickest. In general you don't abstain from obtaining a franchise QB when finally in a position to do so to fix other positions because there will always be other positions that need fixing.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:10 am

Haven't heard much from this thread recently. A lot of people have talked about the Browns taking Barkley #1 overall and 'settling' for whatever QB falls to 1.04. This got me thinking as devils advocate.

Why wouldn't they take their favorite QB @1.01 so they know they get their guy, then for the sake of my argument Barkley goes @1.02 or 1.03. Browns take BPA @ 1.04 and then get their choice of most likely all running backs with the 2.01 pick?

Maybe Michel or Guice sneak into the back half of the 1st round but If I was a GM, I would much rather 'settle' for whatevers left at RB in the second round instead of settling for whatever's available at QB at 1.04.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:40 am

IBall2 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:10 am Haven't heard much from this thread recently. A lot of people have talked about the Browns taking Barkley #1 overall and 'settling' for whatever QB falls to 1.04. This got me thinking as devils advocate.

Why wouldn't they take their favorite QB @1.01 so they know they get their guy, then for the sake of my argument Barkley goes @1.02 or 1.03. Browns take BPA @ 1.04 and then get their choice of most likely all running backs with the 2.01 pick?

Maybe Michel or Guice sneak into the back half of the 1st round but If I was a GM, I would much rather 'settle' for whatevers left at RB in the second round instead of settling for whatever's available at QB at 1.04.
That would be the smart thing to do. Probably the Sashi thing to do, who wasn't concentrating solely on keeping his own job secured.
I think what Dorsey will end up doing is drafting Barkley at 1 to be popular to the masses and the media, and then take whichever QB falls to them. If they take a QB at #1 and that QB doesn't pan out...that's a quick exit for Dorsey. If they take Barkley and then the QB at 4 doesn't pan out...well there's an excuse there (that the media will back) that they just HAD to take Barkley.
I'm afraid of seeing a Barkley Allen draft...

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 am

Valhalla wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:40 am
IBall2 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:10 am Haven't heard much from this thread recently. A lot of people have talked about the Browns taking Barkley #1 overall and 'settling' for whatever QB falls to 1.04. This got me thinking as devils advocate.

That would be the smart thing to do. Probably the Sashi thing to do, who wasn't concentrating solely on keeping his own job secured.
I think what Dorsey will end up doing is drafting Barkley at 1 to be popular to the masses and the media, and then take whichever QB falls to them. If they take a QB at #1 and that QB doesn't pan out...that's a quick exit for Dorsey. If they take Barkley and then the QB at 4 doesn't pan out...well there's an excuse there (that the media will back) that they just HAD to take Barkley.
I'm afraid of seeing a Barkley Allen draft...
The smart thing is definitely to take the QB at 1.01. Then with the draft currency they have to try to move up to 1.02 from 1.04 to take Barkley (if he's their target). The Giants are not taking him at #2. They have a plethora of holes, most notably their QB...BUT they can get that same QB at 1.04 as the Colts should not be taking one (presumably, Luck is healthy). They would be foolish to pass on such a deal, imo. It's possible that the Giants move further back from 1.02 but I don't believe anyone is going to be trading up into that spot for Barkley with the QBs that are in this class. The move will definitely be for a QB. The 1.03 pick is really the key pick if the Browns and Giants don't work out a trade for 1.02. Either the Colts take Barkley there or they trade out of the pick. Much like the 1.02, I expect a trade to again involve a QB - in which case Barkley would be there for the Browns at 1.04.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 am

QB 1.01
If Barkley goes 2 or 3, then somebody will be willing to move up to take their QB at 4 ahead of Denver and NYJ, so they should end up getting some more premium picks.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am

Or, as cleveland.com and/or Mr Haverlack say, maybe McCarron is their QB and they go Barkley at 1.01 and another position at 1.04 (or trade).

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/player-news?id=1958