Chris Godwin - fantasy relevant in 2018?

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Chris Godwin - fantasy relevant in 2018?

Postby Life of Pablo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:38 pm

I know a lot of people love Chris Godwin as a talent/prospect... but that situation is tough. It reminds me of all the people who loved Leonte Carroo but are forced to wait 2+ years on him for him to even potentially see meaningful playing time.

Unfortunately in my league... there is not much of a luxury in storing players on your bench for so long. With only 180 players rostered, the waiver wire is always abundant with decent lottery tickets and it makes holding onto prospects a pain. As such, the only players that are rostered are ones that are expected to produce this season or next season.

So taking the smaller benches into context, do people expect Chris Godwin to make any splashes in the Bucs offense next year. Or are we still playing the waiting game there?

I basically have room for one more stash this year... I currently have Mike Davis in that slot (team is in sig), but players I'm considering are essentially narrowed down to Chris Godwin, Jeremy Hill, Wayne Gallman, Kenneth Dixon, Jonnu Smith, Adam Shaheen, and Rico Gathers (sorry to make this look like a "specific advice" question, but it helps add context to how people value Godwin in the short-term).

Unless he somehow blows up over the offseason, I could also potentially just snag him in the 2nd/3rd round of our Rookie/FA draft next year. He'll likely be passed on by players "worse" than him, for the sole fact that he's no longer a shiny new toy.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Chris Godwin - fantasy relevant in 2018?

Postby CK_ » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:47 pm

The talent level and the high profile factor don't compare between Carroo and Godwin. Godwin is highly rated and a dynasty stash for a lot of people. If Jameis can bounce back next year the he could easily be the WR2 for that team. He is highly skilled in a somewhat muddled situation that just needs his QB to get it going again.

Just remember during the Mike Evans 1 game suspension he was highlighted and did pretty decent for a rookie.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:52 pm

The Buccaneers have Mike Evans and then a bunch of average wide receivers. Godwin should have little problem taking over the role as the number two in that offense next season.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Weber27
Starter
Starter

Postby Weber27 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:58 pm

ten7four wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:38 pm I basically have room for one more stash this year... I currently have Mike Davis in that slot (team is in sig), but players I'm considering are essentially narrowed down to Chris Godwin, Jeremy Hill, Wayne Gallman, Kenneth Dixon, Jonnu Smith, Adam Shaheen, and Rico Gathers (sorry to make this look like a "specific advice" question, but it helps add context to how people value Godwin in the short-term).

Unless he somehow blows up over the offseason, I could also potentially just snag him in the 2nd/3rd round of our Rookie/FA draft next year. He'll likely be passed on by players "worse" than him, for the sole fact that he's no longer a shiny new toy.
I like both of the TE's Smith and Shaheen are gonna be good players, but you have Gronk, so I would most def keep Chris Godwin for next year and grab Smith or Shaheen in the rookie draft later most people should pass on them with the "new toys" available.
New Mexico Maulers 2019 Champion
12-Team, SF, PPR, TEP, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB: Mahomes, Dak, D. Jones, R. Wilson, Stidham
RB: JT, CMC, Breece, R. White, Izz A, L. Murray, McKinnon, LF, Ahmed, Moss
WR: AJB, Sutton, Jeudy, Addison, London, Godwin, Hardman,
TE: Andrews, Friermuth, Ferguson, , Tremble

Draft Picks:
|2024| 1st, 2nd, 4th
|2025| 1, 2, 4, 5

Rocky Mountain Ramblers 2022 Champion
12 Team, SF, PPR, 30 player roster, 5 Rd Rookie Draft | Starters: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, SF
QB: Lamar, TLaw, Dak, Darnold, M. White
RB: CMC, JT, Breece, LF, L. Murray, Ahmed, Mcglauglin, Moss, Mitchell
WR: AJB, Lamb, G. Wilson, DJM, Hopkins, Jeudy, Burks, Kirk,
TE: Pitts, Freiermuth, Dulcich, Jonnu, Johnson
]Draft Picks:
|2024| - 1st, 5th
|2025| 1, 4, 5

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:09 pm

I've said all along that he'll take over the #2 at some point. As long as Winston can improve and support two WRs and a TE, I think Godwin will have decent production next year and beyond.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Godwin for sure. I have him stashed on a few teams with shallow rosters too and has not even crossed my mind to jump ship this early,. I actually feel fairly decent that he will be flex/WR3 worthy next year right off the bat. DeSean did very little to change my mind on that, it was more a down year for Jameis and the O.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:45 pm

As someone who has watched every snap of his college career and 90 percent of his pro ones (with a lot of those being in-person), I would not sell Godwin unless I get an offer so lopsided my league-mates would post on here asking if it should be vetoed.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 pm

I agree with the doc. Tampa needs to beef up that d, cuz Winston, Evans, Godwin, and Howard are going to be sick in a couple years. Suppose they could use a RB too.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 pm

I don't think he will be fantasy relevant in 2018, but he will be in 2019.
DJax is 31 years old and will be 32 next year. I think he has honestly looked not good at all and has provided really not difference making ability on the field.
He's an expensive cut after this season and I don't see it happening.
But after the 2018 season they can cut the 32 year old Jackson for $0 dead money against the cap.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 pm

CK_ wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:47 pm The talent level and the high profile factor don't compare between Carroo and Godwin. Godwin is highly rated and a dynasty stash for a lot of people. If Jameis can bounce back next year the he could easily be the WR2 for that team. He is highly skilled in a somewhat muddled situation that just needs his QB to get it going again.

Just remember during the Mike Evans 1 game suspension he was highlighted and did pretty decent for a rookie.
you are severely underrating Carroo
Superflex tight-end premium team:
Qb: Kyler Murray, Dak Presscott, Sam Darnold,
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,
Te: TJ Hockensen, Gesicki, Hurst

1 2020 first, 1 2020 2nd, 1 2020 3rd, 1 2020 4th

Devy superflex
Qb: Cousins, Prescott, Lamar Jackson
Rb: Marlon Mack, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead,, Mcguire, Edwards
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway
Te: David Njoku, O.J. Howard, Mark Andrews,

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:52 am

Desean Jackson is under contract for $11M in 2018, $10M in 2018, then a free agent. The Bucs have a TON of cap space right now though at $64M for 2018. He's not an $11M player anymore, but they don't need to cut him, so don't count on that.

I like Godwin but I don't think he'll make a fantasy impact until 2019. If you have to cut bait because of your shallow rosters, do it. Keep an eye on him & pick him up again in a year.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jetsfan06
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Jetsfan06 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:28 am

I think he takes over humphries role next year and Jackson’s role by 2019 (or sooner due to injury) .

QB's - Dak Prescott, Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy, Mac Jones
RB's - Ken Walker, Javonte Williams, James Conner, James Cook, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Kenneth Gainwell, Rico Dowdle, Rashaad Penny
WR's - Amon-ra St Brown, DK Metcalf, Diontae Johnson, Gave Davis, Joshua Palmer, Curtis Samuel, Michael Wilson, Marvin Mims, Rashod Bateman, Dontayvion Wicks.
TE's - George Kittle, Dalton Schultz, Isaiah Likely, Juwan Johnson
Taxi: Demario Douglas, Cedric Tillman, David Bell.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:55 am

Desean Jackson isn't practicing today; we may get a preview of Godwin as the #2 this weekend. Sweet.

purplepride28
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby purplepride28 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Looked pretty good today on that long slant. 3 catches for 98 yards. Could of had a td but dropped a bad throw by Winston in the end zone

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Godwin did pretty well! I didn't see the game, but his stats were 12 targets, 7 catches for 111 yards plus a TD. If Desean isn't back, I'm liking his vibe.