Is there ever a good time to start the league over with the same owners?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Is there ever a good time to start the league over with the same owners?

Postby sloth8u » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:56 am

Looking for thoughts and opinions here. A league I'm in is getting pretty uneven and some are proposing starting over. Been going on 7 years, with 5 new owners, but all will have been there at least 2yrs (2018 will be 3).

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Is there ever a good time to start the league over with the same owners?

Postby Phaded » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:01 am

Defeats the purpose of a dynasty league..

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am

Only time is if all owners agree

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:08 am

Sounds like they need to draft and trade better .. I agree why have a Dynasty if ur just going to start over every few years .. just do a keeper then .. ur owners might be better suited ..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:10 am

I joined a league (team 1) that got very uneven due to skill difference of owners and they had half of the owners drop and needed new owners (this is when I joined). They decided to do 6 keepers each so they all got to keep their top players but then the rest go thrown into a pot. They also got rid of IDP and went back to team defense. Trading was also opened up before the roster cuts, so there were a lot of moves of top 6 guys to teams that didn't have a defined top 6 which made it fun. I traded Eddie Lacy (who was ranked as my #7 or 8) to a Packer fan for a 1st who then put him on his top 6. Worked out for me :)

The players in the pool were drafted like a rookie draft, not a snake, so that the bottom team last year got better picks and the winners not as good underneath their top 6 which were definitely better studs.

The good teams were still good, the bad teams still bad, but an owner that knows what they're doing wasn't more than 1 year out of making playoffs after this at least

I'd recommend that before completely drafting anew.
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:20 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:10 am I joined a league (team 1) that got very uneven due to skill difference of owners and they had half of the owners drop and needed new owners (this is when I joined). They decided to do 6 keepers each so they all got to keep their top players but then the rest go thrown into a pot.
i think i'll bring this idea in front of the league. i believe the skill level of everyone is close now...whereas things were pretty lopsided in the past. its led to others not wanting to donate each year without a chance. now that the "knowledge gap" has closed between the top few teams...........we need to do something, or we're just going to keep replacing.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 am

slaughterrt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am Only time is if all owners agree
This. Doesn't seem fair to punish the owners who are doing well against their will.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:24 am

I've never been in a league that talked about doing this due to competitive issues, only rule changes. My main league switched formats pretty heavily about 4 years ago (went from 1 QB to superflex and added devy), changes that everyone wanted. We were prepared to start over because of the massive changes, but the great majority of the league voted against starting over, they liked their teams even with the big changes in QB and draft pick value.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:40 am

A few potential solutions:
1. (the one I prefer) Don't do anything. In time they will get better and the league will even out. Talent distribution will ebb and flow with some rosters getting stronger, then weaker, other rosters generally staying weak to mediocre with an occasional spike, and some being consistently good with an occasional dip. That's the nature of a league. If you want to be in the consistently good group, put in the time.
2. Agree to wait a few years. Say the league will reset in a few years, so the guys that have stacked draft picks or young talent don't get completely screwed.
3. Switch the league to a contract league. To keep the implementation from screwing the loaded teams out of their assets immediately, you could have a max contract limit per player upon initial implementation, and then have contract escalators for performance from there. This would help to keep teams from becoming too dominant, but wouldn't immediately strip the loaded teams of their talent. Use some sort of mass dynasty ADP to apply contract values to players.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 am

It's pretty simple, really...is everyone on board? If you have all owners agreeable then go ahead and reset. I think sometimes that is a GOOD thing for the health of the league. It can re-kindle things in a league that can be at the point of dying or losing owners due to disinterest.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am

no loaded owner wants to give up their team. lol.....thats the issue here. a couple teams are stacked (including the commish)....who also recruited the "knowledgeable owners"..

he knows "what's in store" with a redraft. his buddies "want' "IT"...but he knows us 5 will "square" things up with a redraft.

Killabrewster
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Killabrewster » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:32 am

Does anyone else on this site run Empire leagues instead of Dynasty? Both of my leagues are Empire as opposed to Dynasty as it was the only way to get my buddies to buy in, but it's a fun concept. There's a running pot each year that will go to whoever wins the league in back-to-back years, at which point the league resets. It definitely makes valuing future draft picks and win-now trades quite a bit different than in normal dynasty formats.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 am

Empire Clause/League is one of the easier ways in incorporate a "reset" on a league.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Killabrewster wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:32 am Does anyone else on this site run Empire leagues instead of Dynasty? Both of my leagues are Empire as opposed to Dynasty as it was the only way to get my buddies to buy in, but it's a fun concept. There's a running pot each year that will go to whoever wins the league in back-to-back years, at which point the league resets. It definitely makes valuing future draft picks and win-now trades quite a bit different than in normal dynasty formats.
How often does that happen tho?
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Joined a 24 team dynasty league last year. This year 8 players dropped out. So the league voted to start over with 16. I voted against.