League controversy - is this shady by the commish?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: League controversy - is this shady by the commish?

Postby M-Dub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:51 pm

If I’m reading this correctly, it’s not so much shadiness as laziness. It sounds like your commish doesn’t really GAF about properly seeding the playoffs unless his team is directly impacted by it. If your league constitution/bylaws specifically state that total points is the first tiebreaker, you really can’t complain about his decision. The time to complain would’ve been during the seasons where division record was incorrectly used as the tiebreaker.

All that said, this should have all been sorted out way before 20 min prior to kickoff on Sunday. Hell, there was already a Thursday game in the books by that point. Maybe I’m just splitting hairs here, because regardless of whether you call it shadiness or laziness, it sounds like your commish sucks. If he doesn’t agree to either step aside or take his role more seriously, I would probably just leave the league.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:38 pm

The fact that he's been unresponsive tells you everything you need to know. He's obviously seeing the messages because he's active but choosing not to respond.

Time to find a new league. The 2 owners who agree with you should probably leave too or they'll be the ones screwed next season.

lawilt
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lawilt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 am

walk away

Quinty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Quinty » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:51 pm

The league has 8 years of playoff history. It doesn't matter what was written, the precedent is set.

Did you check the comment sections of the previous 8 years of the league? I'm wondering if someone else asked about the playoff tiebreaker, and the commish says he'd use the divisional records as a tiebreaker but didn't bother to edit the bylaws.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Quinty wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:51 pm The league has 8 years of playoff history. It doesn't matter what was written, the precedent is set.

Did you check the comment sections of the previous 8 years of the league? I'm wondering if someone else asked about the playoff tiebreaker, and the commish says he'd use the divisional records as a tiebreaker but didn't bother to edit the bylaws.
It absolutely matters what was written. The whole point of written bylaws is to settle disputes like this. The only precedent that seems to have been set here is that the commish sucks at his job.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:20 am

chopping mall wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:07 am hmmm this is tough, technically he IS following the charter. He has not been consistent in following the charter yes, but when it doubt it is the charter that rules. when there is a discrepancy the default should be to follow the charter until a vote to change the charter can happen.

Yes the Charter isn't being consistently followed, but honestly I put that on the whole league, if 3 of the last 6 year it wasn't done correctly that means 3 of the 6 years it was, the entire league has been missing that sometimes the commish catches this and sometimes he doesn't, but the charter was ALWAYS going to require him to re-seed the MFL population and if you had simply said the commish hasn't been following the charter in years past what should I do? Everyone would have said to tell him he needs to follow the charter or change it.

I'm sorry but the fact that the league has not been diligent or consistent in making sure the league follows the charter doesn't change the fact that the charter calls for 1 thing and that's what needs to be done until the charter is updated.

The entire league needs to re-read the charter and ensure the commish abides by it in all things.
The word of the day is charter
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Sounds like the way the commish handled everything is shady. I would be pissed and consider walking away due to this prescendent being in place for years, benefiting the commish before.

BUT with that being said, there are some cases where I would give the commish some leeway to correct mistakes in the settings. On the 2017 MFL reboot, I've seen lots of frustrating issues. Like trade deadlines not transferring over properly.

Also in our office yahoo redraft league (I'm the commish), we expanded from 12 teams to 14 teams. We specifically stating in a group email that since we expanded to 14 teams, we would expand the playoffs from 6 teams to 8 teams, with no byes. However, after week 13, I realized that I personally forgot to make that change in the yahoo system. I copied the email to everyone & told them that I would fix it, and no complaints. Everyone was assuming it was an 8 team playoff anyways.

But your issue is totally different. Since in the previous years, the division record was the tie breaker, he NEEDS to adhere to that.

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:20 am
chopping mall wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:07 am hmmm this is tough, technically he IS following the charter. He has not been consistent in following the charter yes, but when it doubt it is the charter that rules. when there is a discrepancy the default should be to follow the charter until a vote to change the charter can happen.

Yes the Charter isn't being consistently followed, but honestly I put that on the whole league, if 3 of the last 6 year it wasn't done correctly that means 3 of the 6 years it was, the entire league has been missing that sometimes the commish catches this and sometimes he doesn't, but the charter was ALWAYS going to require him to re-seed the MFL population and if you had simply said the commish hasn't been following the charter in years past what should I do? Everyone would have said to tell him he needs to follow the charter or change it.

I'm sorry but the fact that the league has not been diligent or consistent in making sure the league follows the charter doesn't change the fact that the charter calls for 1 thing and that's what needs to be done until the charter is updated.

The entire league needs to re-read the charter and ensure the commish abides by it in all things.
Lmao 13 charter's in 10 sentences (and it was really 7 sentences with one of them being a massive run-on sentence)
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

chopping mall
Role Player
Role Player

Postby chopping mall » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm

ten7four wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Lmao 13 charter's in 10 sentences (and it was really 7 sentences with one of them being a massive run-on sentence)
And ironically in the end I ended up coming out against the charter. Since there was so much anti-charter precedence, I decided against the charter. I think what they've been doing (though not in the charter) should rule and not the charter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

charter charter charter
Team: Hounds of Justice - Year 5
12 Team - 35 Man roster .5 PPR Dynasty IDP (1QB|2WR|2RB|1TE|2Flex|2DL|2LB|2DB|1Flex)
QB: D. Brees, D. Carr, A. Dalton
RB: S. Barkley, J. Mixon, C. Clement, F. Gore, J. Jackson, P. Perkins, G. Bernard
WR: K. Allen, A. Green, J. Edelman, B. Cooks, T. Quinn, J. Reynolds, M. Crabtree, J. Doctson
TE: D. Walker D. Waller, D. Goedert, J. Smith
DL: T. Flowers, J. Houston, C. Peters, E. Ansah
LB: D. Leonard, M. Jack, N. Vigil, J. Baker, P. Onwuasor, S. Hamilton
DB: J. Bates, K. Jackson,
taxi: R. Finley, D. Crockett, J. Ursua, D. Willis, J. Thornhill
2020 Picks: 3rd, 5th, 6th

Balzac
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Balzac » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm

This is where im at. This commish is an idiot, but so are everyone else in this league. The charter should be law, and you all screwed up every year you went off of divisions. I have no problem with him fixing now as it is the way it should be. This isn't some hindsight change to scoring or what have you, it is simply making sure mfl matches the way the league should be run. If he is doing some shady work going back and forth then you all need to call him out and leave. If that really is the case, because I find it hard to believe that half of the time it is one way and the other half another and no one has noticed...
10 Team TE Premium, Dynasty Year 6 - (1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1K, 1DEF)
http://www57.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0002

12 Team .5PPR, Dynasty Year 4 - (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX)
https://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... =07&F=0011

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 pm

chopping mall wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
ten7four wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 pm

And ironically in the end I ended up coming out against the charter. Since there was so much anti-charter precedence, I decided against the charter. I think what they've been doing (though not in the charter) should rule and not the charter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

charter charter charter
:clap:
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06