Ty Montgomery future

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gameaholica
Role Player
Role Player

Ty Montgomery future

Postby gameaholica » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:25 am

Any guesses to if he regains his rb role? Back to wr? He is 24 years old and is coming back from ribs and wrist injury.
TheFantasyFootballGuys Dynasty League (13 keeper-PPR)
QB: Mahomes | Stafford | Mayfield
RB: Barkely | Henry | Etienne | Akers | Penny |
WR: Thomas | Bateman | Pittman | Metchie | Shaheed | W. Robinson
TE: Dulcich | Kincaid | Latu
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-Flex-K-DEF

Buzz's BBQ Dynasty League(18 keeper-PPR)
QB: J Allen | Stafford |
RB: J.Williams | J Taylor | Mostert | Herbert | Hall | Tucker | Charbonnet
WR: Chase | AJ Brown | Mims | JSN | Metchie | W Robinson
TE: Engram | LaPorta | Pitts | Latu | Ferguson
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Ty Montgomery future

Postby M-Dub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 am

As an owner, I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I don’t see GB bringing in any additional competition. All three RBs looked good in that offense when healthy and given a full workload. At the very least, the Packers don’t seem inclined to roll with an RBBC approach, so we should have some clarity by the start of next season at the latest.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

MontrealBen
Role Player
Role Player

Postby MontrealBen » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:01 am

If someone is willing to offer a 2nd, take it. If not, there's not much you can do but hold tight and see what happens. If there's a sell window in the offseason, though, don't miss it. I have a hard time envisioning him being the lead back in any committee there. He had 3 usable games from the 8 he played, and Williams and Jones have both clearly outperformed him when they've had lead back duties.

Thinking out loud, though -- Adams is a free agent. If he decides to walk, what's more likely: an Allison (or other WR) promotion, a draft pick getting a starting gig, a FA signing, or TyMont moving back to WR with Cobb and Jordy? I kinda think the last option is the most likely, in which case he regains some value (and, again, I'd be looking to sell).

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 am

I don't think it's likely that he regains his lead back role. He wasn't doing anything with it to begin with and Jamal Williams and Aaron Jones looked better than him. A large part of Montgomery's value was situation, not talent. And we know how that usually ends up.

I could see Montgomery getting some use in a Theo Riddick type role going forward.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 am

He will be at best 3rd down back ... Williams and jones are better and earned that right even Rodgers made that statement that he liked jones the best
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 am I don't think it's likely that he regains his lead back role. He wasn't doing anything with it to begin with and Jamal Williams and Aaron Jones looked better than him. A large part of Montgomery's value was situation, not talent. And we know how that usually ends up.

I could see Montgomery getting some use in a Theo Riddick type role going forward.
He was the overall RB4 in PPR before he broke his ribs. Granted, three games is a minuscule sample size, but it’s a little disingenuous to say he wasn’t doing anything as the lead back. You could certainly argue that he was volume-dependent, but so are Williams and Jones, as well as virtually every other fantasy relevant RB in the league.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:42 am

All three of these guys have had fairly limited sample sizes. To make any definitive statements on who is better than the others seems a bit foolish, but good luck with that. I'm holding for now. I don't have much faith in Williams and being the second best back on a team like Green Bay has value with the number of injuries we see every year.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

npainter
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby npainter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:20 pm

I could see him moving into a CMC, James White type roll with more catches than carries but still allows the team to run the full playbook. He looked decent as a RB but as NFL player has more value in an "Offensive Weapon" role. Probably not going to be a RB1 but could very well be a solid RB3/Flex with upside moving forward. Selling for an early second, buying for a late 2nd probably is the correct current value.

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Seems very breakable. At best the 3rd down back in an RBBC.

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:41 pm

I think he has potential to take the starting gig back, but I wouldn't bet on it. I see him getting around 10 touches a game in the future, which could provide some value. I remember one game they said they missed Ty's blocking ability and knowing the protections, I'd assume the other two would pick it up over the course of the season/in the offseason. However, if they don't maybe Ty carves more of a role.
12 team, 1PPR: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex
QB: Brees, Smith, Bortles,
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews
TE: Kittle, Eifert, Brate, McDonald, J. James
IR: K. Dixon, Jermey Hill

2019 Picks: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th
2020 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 am He was the overall RB4 in PPR before he broke his ribs. Granted, three games is a minuscule sample size, but it’s a little disingenuous to say he wasn’t doing anything as the lead back. You could certainly argue that he was volume-dependent, but so are Williams and Jones, as well as virtually every other fantasy relevant RB in the league.
Montgomery was propped up by volume and receptions, which led to good fantasy production. His actual football numbers weren't good, especially as a rusher:

19/54
10/35
12/35
5/28
10/28

Montgomery is nothing special running the ball.

gameaholica
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gameaholica » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm

So... could be a Kamara role. Seems similar in use and productivity.
TheFantasyFootballGuys Dynasty League (13 keeper-PPR)
QB: Mahomes | Stafford | Mayfield
RB: Barkely | Henry | Etienne | Akers | Penny |
WR: Thomas | Bateman | Pittman | Metchie | Shaheed | W. Robinson
TE: Dulcich | Kincaid | Latu
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-Flex-K-DEF

Buzz's BBQ Dynasty League(18 keeper-PPR)
QB: J Allen | Stafford |
RB: J.Williams | J Taylor | Mostert | Herbert | Hall | Tucker | Charbonnet
WR: Chase | AJ Brown | Mims | JSN | Metchie | W Robinson
TE: Engram | LaPorta | Pitts | Latu | Ferguson
Start: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-FLEX-K-DEF

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 pm
M-Dub wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 am He was the overall RB4 in PPR before he broke his ribs. Granted, three games is a minuscule sample size, but it’s a little disingenuous to say he wasn’t doing anything as the lead back. You could certainly argue that he was volume-dependent, but so are Williams and Jones, as well as virtually every other fantasy relevant RB in the league.
Montgomery was propped up by volume and receptions, which led to good fantasy production. His actual football numbers weren't good, especially as a rusher:

19/54
10/35
12/35
5/28
10/28

Montgomery is nothing special running the ball.
Williams & Jones beat up on Dallas, New Orleans & Tampa. Not exactly stellar defenses. Otherwise, they've looked pretty mediocre as well. It's not like Green Bay's line is elite if you're looking at strictly rushing production.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:13 pm Williams & Jones beat up on Dallas, New Orleans & Tampa. Not exactly stellar defenses. Otherwise, they've looked pretty mediocre as well. It's not like Green Bay's line is elite if you're looking at strictly rushing production.
I agree with you. I don't think there's a standout back in GB, which isn't good news long-term for any of them.

The idea of "Packers Starting RB" means more than any of their individual names and talents.

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 am

(Rotoworld) ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky believes the time might be right for Green Bay to move Ty Montgomery back to wide receiver.
Analysis: Montgomery was nearly an every-down running back the first three weeks of last season, but the injuries started kicking in soon after. 41 of his 71 carries came in Weeks 1-3 before suffering a wrist injury five snaps into Week 4. He then sustained broken ribs just a couple weeks later. Montgomery was eventually placed on I.R. after carrying the ball just 14 times from Weeks 8-10. His body simply didn't hold up in the backfield, and the Packers have Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones as arguably better options. At receiver, Montgomery could replace Randall Cobb in the slot.