How large are typical Dynasty Rosters (includes Poll)?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

What is the roster limit in your Dynasty League?

less than 18 players
1%
18 players
1%
19-20 players
2%
21-22 players
12%
23-24 players
10%
more than 24 players
73%

Total votes: 89

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: How large are typical Dynasty Rosters (includes Poll)?

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:31 pm

One of my leagues has 25 roster spots and we cut down to 18 during the rookie draft and I hate it. Too much talent on the WW, good owners don't get rewarded.

motherlode
Role Player
Role Player

Postby motherlode » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:31 pm One of my leagues has 25 roster spots and we cut down to 18 during the rookie draft and I hate it. Too much talent on the WW, good owners don't get rewarded.
I agree with this. Im in a 12 team 22 man league and i find it suffocating. Sometimes i just stare at the free agent list and daydream about adding like 10 guys onto my roster. Im not sure if its typical of all smaller roster leagues, or if its just this league in particular but i find that the other owners in this league treat it like a redraft league. There is almost no trading. Rookies get dropped for middling vets. Its a very strange league.

Samhain34
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Samhain34 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 am

I'm in a 12 team superflex with 22 spots. We start 9 and don't use Defense or Kickers. Could we go to 23 or 24? Probably, but it's nice to have a little action on the wire.

The other league I'm in is 12 teams and includes a K and DEF. There's no flex and it's run like a redraft league. 18 on the Roster, while starting 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/K/DEF. Reverse order on the waiver wire every week in a dynasty league. Despite the fact that I have some dear friends in this league, I'm probably dumping it due to the frustration. I feel like there's no skill involved since there's no room to stash players. Being ahead of your league mates means nothing if your team is actually good.

I had to tell our commish, who bragged about picking up Aaron Jones in week 5, that I got him in May in my REAL dynasty league.

Next year I'm starting a 12-team superflex (start same 9 as TMFP below) and I'm figuring on no kickers or defenses, but probably going to go with 22 regular roster spots. 2 IR spots and a 2 man taxi squad to reward people who do their draft homework. Eventually will expand to IDP, but since I'm recruiting some people who have never played dynasty, I don't want to make it too difficult all at once.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:12 am

I'm in a league with 20 roster spots 12 teams. It's too shallow. Honestly quite often I have to refrain from picking up guys I like because I don't want to flag them to the rest of the league when I inevitably need to drop them again to pick up a bye week player due to an injury or something.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:15 am

12-team, start 8
1QB - 2RB - 3WR - 1TE - 1RWT
22 players
No IR

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:21 am

bob b wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 amI found out prior to week 13 that our rosters are frozen at noon on week 13
I joined a league like this. Didn't realize this was the rule until the second year I was in it. Went into the playoffs with only the Ravens kicker. Made the finals but the kicker ended up being out. Went to pick up his replacement, but everything was locked down. Lost by 8. Replacement kicker scored 9.

WhiskeyD32
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WhiskeyD32 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:29 pm

I’m all for big rosters. It rewards the better scouts in my opinion and spurs trade action. Why trade when there are a ton of startable players on the wire? In my personal experience in my shallow league I’ve had to drop Jordan Howard and Alex Collins before they popped the last two years. Partially that’s on me because I made the decision, but if the rosters were bigger I never would have had to let them go. I like 30+ with taxi squad.

npainter
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby npainter » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:32 pm

No matter how large your league is there will always be players on the WW that you want to add.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:15 pm

npainter wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:32 pm No matter how large your league is there will always be players on the WW that you want to add.
Shallow rosters leave a lot of talent on the waiver wires, leading to a higher likelihood for parity in the league (as the worst teams get to scoop the available popping talent weekly).

Deeper rosters reward the owners that do more scouting and allow those owners to hold for the potential long-term value they have seen.

What's the priority?
Shallow for league parity (making it FAR easier to completely slack and still be competitive, but also not a bad system for a league filled with different dedication levels of owners)
Deep for roster development (rewards the more dedicated owners, and IMO creates more of a need for trades)

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 pm

I had a 22 Players with IDP, I had to let it go, was no fun cutting prospects .. commish kept it low because in one League, he had an owner stockpile QBs and it ended up putting the League under .. I was like well, could have just set a position limit .. heh.

All mine are IDP over 40 ...

the DLF without IDP is at 25...
@PlankMelody

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Plank wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 pm I had a 22 Players with IDP, I had to let it go, was no fun cutting prospects .. owner kept it low because in one League, he had an owner stockpile QBs and it ended up putting the League under .. I was like well, could have just set a position limit .. heh.
QB 2RB 2WR TE 2DL 2LB 2DB (12 starters) is as shallow as I could possibly see that...If that's the case, why even bother? Everyone has good players at every position.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:15 pm
npainter wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:32 pm No matter how large your league is there will always be players on the WW that you want to add.
Shallow rosters leave a lot of talent on the waiver wires, leading to a higher likelihood for parity in the league (as the worst teams get to scoop the available popping talent weekly).

Deeper rosters reward the owners that do more scouting and allow those owners to hold for the potential long-term value they have seen.

What's the priority?
Shallow for league parity (making it FAR easier to completely slack and still be competitive, but also not a bad system for a league filled with different dedication levels of owners)
Deep for roster development (rewards the more dedicated owners, and IMO creates more of a need for trades)
I think Valhalla nailed it here. If you’re starting a league with a bunch of dynasty noobs, you should probably keep the rosters on the shallow end, at least for the first few years. I understand the desire to identify the proverbial “diamonds in the rough” and be able to hang onto them until they finally hit, but in a league of new dynasty players, having deep rosters right out of the gate could lead to a really huge disparity among the good and bad teams. Then, when the owners of the bad teams get frustrated and bail, it’s gonna be a hard sell trying to find someone to take over a team that has been horribly mismanaged for a few years. If you at least start off with shallower rosters, it gives the dynasty noobs or less engaged owners a chance to learn from their mistakes without crippling their team for years to come.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:19 am

14 starters x 12 teams = 168
16 bench.. x 12 teams = 192
-----------------------------------
30 players x 12 teams = 360 players rostered