Carson Wentz Thread: Reborn in Indy?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Wentz ACL injury

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 am

IBall2 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:09 am Those of you that are Eagles fans, what are your thoughts on Foles moving forward? The defense seems like they can keep them in games, allowing a league low YPC and 4th lowest in total offensive yards per game. Seems like they may be in the same situation as the Vikings, starting a backup QB with a strong defense and good talent around the QB.
I'm neither a Wentz nor Foles owner, nor an Eagles fan, but I do own the Eagles D/ST. Their defense has scored a few touchdowns this year and they seem to be good at finding a way to steal the ball from opponents.

My take on Nick Foles is that he was the starter in Philly for a while and then I think it was at St. Louis. So, he does have experience as a starting QB, and that he is a good solid backup QB. In fact, I think he will be better than some of the regular starters playing this coming week.

The good news is, he has been back in Philly long enough to know the current offense and playbook well. The hard part will be, we're going into week 15, not much time to oil the wheels, knock the rust off and get him into sync and timing with the first string starters.

I agree with you in that this should be more like a Minnesota type situation, and not a Green Bay or Indy like situation, so I'm not going to say that it can't be done or that Foles can't do it. But, it will be asking a lot of Foles to step in and put the team on his back and take them to the Superbowl, which is what Wentz was being expected to do.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am

Sucks for Carson. I do own him in a couple leagues and I've been a fan of his pre NFL draft. As a Minnesota resident, Wentz's NCAA (NDSU) games were a local thing around these parts. Long term he will be fine. Short term, there will be consequences & I don't believe that Foles will play as sharp of a game that Case Keenum has been playing as a "back up" in Mn. Up till this week, C.Keenum had to be in the top 4-5 as far as MVP discussion. In no particular order - Something like R.Wilson, T.Brady, C.Keenum, C.Wentz and maybe even wr Antonio Brown. Foles is a drop off but considering the overall balance of Philidelphia's team, they will still be a force to be reckoned with. their easy schedule over the next couple games should help. I felt that Minnesota would be a challenge for them even with Wentz, without Wentz, I don't see Phili beating Mn and to be honest, they are probably one and done come playoff time.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Spongehack
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Spongehack » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 am

devastating...
12 Team (2014 Champ, 2016 2nd, 2021 Champ) 1.0 PPR, 1.5 TE, Superflex, Start 9, 1-2 QB, 2-4 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-3 TE

QB - J. Hurts, M. Stafford, K. Cousins
RB - S. Barkley, D. Cook, E. Elliot, T. Pollard, A. Mattison
WR - D. Adams, DK Metcalf, A. Cooper, C. Ridley, R. Anderson, C. Davis, J. Jones
TE - M. Andrews, G. Kittle, M. Cox

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:44 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 am
joeday wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 am It really is a shame on Wentz. I really think he would have won MVP over Brady if the two were even close in record or stats. As far as Foles is concerned...he lit up the league a few years back in this same offense. I will be picking him up where I can, if for no other reason than to c*ck block opponents.
1. Not the same offense. That was Chip Kelley Thats right...I thought it was Reid's last year there...my bad.

2. He most certainly did not light up the league. He had an amazingly fluky year where defenders dropped pick after pick and the talent around him made him look great in box scores. He was not a good QB that year. Just like Bortles didn't "get bad" last year, he's always been bad.I should have said he lit up fantasy...with comparable weapons.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm

joeday wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:44 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 am
joeday wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 am It really is a shame on Wentz. I really think he would have won MVP over Brady if the two were even close in record or stats. As far as Foles is concerned...he lit up the league a few years back in this same offense. I will be picking him up where I can, if for no other reason than to c*ck block opponents.
1. Not the same offense. That was Chip Kelley Thats right...I thought it was Reid's last year there...my bad.

2. He most certainly did not light up the league. He had an amazingly fluky year where defenders dropped pick after pick and the talent around him made him look great in box scores. He was not a good QB that year. Just like Bortles didn't "get bad" last year, he's always been bad.I should have said he lit up fantasy...with comparable weapons.
Wentz has been great, but he has ALSO had multiple pick passes that end up being dropped, or even more crazy, a bad, interceptable pass tipped forward 5 yards and landing perfectly in the arms of a TE streaking for a TD to win the game. A bad pick to lose the game turns into a deep TD to win the game...that sounds like some of what Foles got.
I like Wentz. I'm not saying he hasn't been better than what Foles ever was. I just bring this up to defend Foles. Foles DID have some fluky stuff help him out to his absurd season (he led the league in passer rating...and yards per attempt...in the same season that Peyton Manning had an absurd year). Foles didn't play well enough to lead the league in passer rating on his own merit, which is where the flukiness came in. That doesn't mean he was outright bad, though.

I know passer rating doesn't tell the whole story, but just for some perspective...in Foles' rookie year, he put up a passer rating of 79.1 in the 7 games he was thrown in due to injury. That was good for 24th in the NFL (not "worst starter in the league") as a rookie. I believe he was the best on his team that year, as his team average passer rating is lower.
His second year, he didn't start the season as the starter. He played in 13 games, starting 10 of them. He finished with a league leading 119.2 passer rating and 9.1 yards per attempt (that's absurdly high for a 2nd year QB, damn high for even Aaron Rodgers), and not that it means anything, but he was also the Pro Bowl MVP. The flukiness helped no doubt, but it didn't make him. It just made the numbers absurd. Peyton finished with 115.1 in his absurd season, finishing second. I thought Foles played well enough that year, and the flukes made it all absurd.
In his 3rd year, he started 8 games before going down to injury in a scheme that had largely been already solved by the NFL defensive coordinators. His passer rating? 81.4. Not a good 8 game stretch, but certainly not worst in the league. He was a good deal better than Carr, Cousins, Keenum, (woah, you mean QBs can have bad years AND have good years? Crazy!) and a good 12 points better than Bortles and McCown...so not "worst in the league." His bad year (8 game sample QB rating) was on par with Cam Newton that year, if you're curious.
Foles was FAR AND AWAY the most winning QB on those Chip Kelley teams, so it's not like it was just that "sweet system." It also wasn't "just the supporting cast propping up his talent-less bleep." In 2013, Vick wasn't able to do jack. Foles came in to save the week 5 disaster and pulled a W. Week 6, had a great game and another W. Week 7 he starts out struggling so the genius Kelley pushed Barkley over Foles. He played just as bad and they lost. Week 8, keep the Barkley push alive (for whatever reason...maybe because he was the #1 high school recruit at one point and I'm sure Chip was after him at that time), he played horrible, and the Eagles get an L. Chip is forced back to Foles, and they win the next 7 out of 8 (losing to the Vikings :D ). Foles got some lucky bounces and dropped interceptions. He wasn't a god. He wasn't the worst QB in the league, though. The media tore him apart because they knew his stats were painting too pretty of a picture, but they really tore into him making him seem horrible, which just wasn't the case. Anyone watching ESPN and believing that bleep ate it up, though. I mean, the kid has red hair...right guys?
So then after Foles gets injured and Sanchize takes over, Foles is unfortunate enough to be traded to Jeff Fisher's squad. Foles fails (like EVERY NON-MCNAIR QB FISHER HAS FORCED THAT SYSTEM ON) and the media can't contain themselves pronouncing "We were right! We were right! Fisher's system is gold for a QB and he can't succeed there!" Yep, the mass media LOVED Fisher's scheme...for YEARS...because he was a coaching mainstay. Eventually, they came around to just how horrible this scheme was but the narrative on Foles was already ingrained in most minds. He sucks. Failed QB that will be lucky to be a backup.

In his time since the Rams "chance," Foles has gotten one opportunity to get some snaps, with the Chiefs. He was an emergency fill-in mid-season for Alex Smith (got the W with a decent game) and only got to toss 55 passes on the year, but finished with a 105.9 passer rating on those 55 passes. There was a bit of debate on whether Foles should be starting over Smith, but the team was winning so most coaches just won't shake things up like that (and maybe they shouldn't).
Take away the Rams disaster year and Foles has thrown 49 TDs to 17 INTs, with a passer rating somewhere around 95 (not calculating that out).
He is one of two QBs to ever post a perfect passer rating while throwing 400+ yards (Ken O'Brien being the other).
Sid Luckman ('43), Adrian Burk('54), George Blanda ('61), Y.A. Tittle ('62), Joe Kapp ('69), Peyton Manning ('13), Nick Foles ('13), Drew Brees ('15) with 7 TD passes in a single game. These are fluke games, but you don't entirely fluke into games like this. There has to be some inherent, non-"worst in the league" level talent there.

Sorry, Foles is a hot button for me. The hate is absurd, and it's never made sense to me.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm Wentz has been great, but he has ALSO had multiple pick passes that end up being dropped, or even more crazy, a bad, interceptable pass tipped forward 5 yards and landing perfectly in the arms of a TE streaking for a TD to win the game. A bad pick to lose the game turns into a deep TD to win the game...that sounds like some of what Foles got.
Could say that about any QB...

Part of playing the position and throwing a ball 35-40 times a game. You get some lucky bounces. If you're considering the dropped INTs, you would need to factor in the dropped 1st down or TD passes the WR should've caught. It all balances out over the long term but the great QBs make you pay for it. The bad ones turn around and make the same mistake again and this time it gets intercepted.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm

onetwothree wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 pm
Valhalla wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm Wentz has been great, but he has ALSO had multiple pick passes that end up being dropped, or even more crazy, a bad, interceptable pass tipped forward 5 yards and landing perfectly in the arms of a TE streaking for a TD to win the game. A bad pick to lose the game turns into a deep TD to win the game...that sounds like some of what Foles got.
Could say that about any QB...

Part of playing the position and throwing a ball 35-40 times a game. You get some lucky bounces. If you're considering the dropped INTs, you would need to factor in the dropped 1st down or TD passes the WR should've caught. It all balances out over the long term but the great QBs make you pay for it. The bad ones turn around and make the same mistake again and this time it gets intercepted.
I 100% agree with you. I like Wentz. I just pointed that out as a way of saying "all qbs have flukes, good and bad."

Doesn't this "evening out" thing apply to Foles, too? He has won way more often than he has lost (the Eagles had an overall piss-poor record in the non-Foles games, so it's maybe a bit flawed to say it was just the team giving him wins). He has thrown for a pretty nice td to int ratio. His career passer rating is alright. Yet, it's all a huge series of flukes... worst starter in the league.
I guess things don't even out for players the media hates. They are supposed to be bad so let's ignore what they've done and yell "fluke!" at success and "failure!" at his Fisher "opportunity."

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:25 pm

If it were Tebow...they would claim all his incompletions and interceptions were flukes.

Sorry. I couldn’t help it.

And all of Josh Gordon’s failed piss tests were flukes...

I’ll stop now.

Wile E. Coyote
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Wile E. Coyote » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm

From rotowire.com

"Wentz suffered a torn ACL and won't play again this season, Jeff McLane of The Philadelphia Inquirer reports".

"Spin: Eagles head coach Doug Pederson made it official at his Monday press conference, putting an end to any hope that Wentz escaped with a partial tear he could eventually play through, a la Ryan Tannehill last year. Of course, Tannehill never actually returned for the playoffs and later suffered a full tear of the same ligament this preseason. Wentz presumably will have surgery on his ACL once the swelling subsides, while Nick Foles will take over as the starting quarterback for Week 15 against the Giants. It isn't all bad news for the Eagles, as Pederson did indicate that the damage in Wentz's knee is primarily contained to the ACL, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports. While MCL, LCL and PCL injuries aren't as serious on their own, they often add to the rehab timeline of a torn ACL. The Eagles have a real shot to get Wentz back for Week 1 in 2018, though he figures to miss all of the off season program and likely will be limited, at best, for the starting of training camp".

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Dr James Andrews cautioned that 12 months is a more normal timeline. AP has kinda skewed expectations for returning from an ACL injury.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Valhalla wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm I 100% agree with you. I like Wentz. I just pointed that out as a way of saying "all qbs have flukes, good and bad."

Doesn't this "evening out" thing apply to Foles, too? He has won way more often than he has lost (the Eagles had an overall piss-poor record in the non-Foles games, so it's maybe a bit flawed to say it was just the team giving him wins). He has thrown for a pretty nice td to int ratio. His career passer rating is alright. Yet, it's all a huge series of flukes... worst starter in the league.
I guess things don't even out for players the media hates. They are supposed to be bad so let's ignore what they've done and yell "fluke!" at success and "failure!" at his Fisher "opportunity."
I actually think Foles will be more than serviceable. Not sure where you're getting all this hate from. If anything, it's probably because he's caught in the Chip Kelly crossfire but Foles just isn't enough of a name for the media to go after.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:02 am

onetwothree wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm Dr James Andrews cautioned that 12 months is a more normal timeline. AP has kinda skewed expectations for returning from an ACL injury.
I'm desperately hoping that Dalvin Cook is following in his Vikings' predecesors footsteps

I remember winning a $50 entry fee league (richest I'll ever play) the year after AP tore his ACL at the end of the season and drafting him in the 3rd round before his near record setting season :) Gambled on all my picks as it was a winner take all payout. Will never play a league like that again. Way too stressful
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 am

Breathtaking.........
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 am

onetwothree wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 pm I actually think Foles will be more than serviceable. Not sure where you're getting all this hate from. If anything, it's probably because he's caught in the Chip Kelly crossfire but Foles just isn't enough of a name for the media to go after.
I'm not saying you are hating. It's more of a historical thing and was a hot button for me back then. Skip's comment triggered me, sorry. Also, he's not a big enough name for the media to go after anymore, but he was, and they did.
I don't even think he's a great QB, but I think he's decent. His career has been destroyed by the media and Fisher and I just feel for the guy. As a whole, he has succeeded. He didn't with Fisher.
I genuinely believe he would be doing more than Dalton, Flacco, flipping Geno Smith, Siemian, Savage, Taylor (yep Skip), Kizer, Bortles, McCown, Peterman, Paxton Lynch, Osweiler, Brissett, Beathard, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other guys that either have a firm grasp of or have been given chances of a starting role. I don't think he's one of the best, but I think he could be an improvement for numerous teams.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 am

Valhalla wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 am
onetwothree wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 pm I actually think Foles will be more than serviceable. Not sure where you're getting all this hate from. If anything, it's probably because he's caught in the Chip Kelly crossfire but Foles just isn't enough of a name for the media to go after.
I'm not saying you are hating. It's more of a historical thing and was a hot button for me back then. Skip's comment triggered me, sorry. Also, he's not a big enough name for the media to go after anymore, but he was, and they did.
I don't even think he's a great QB, but I think he's decent. His career has been destroyed by the media and Fisher and I just feel for the guy. As a whole, he has succeeded. He didn't with Fisher.
I genuinely believe he would be doing more than Dalton, Flacco, flipping Geno Smith, Siemian, Savage, Taylor (yep Skip), Kizer, Bortles, McCown, Peterman, Paxton Lynch, Osweiler, Brissett, Beathard, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other guys that either have a firm grasp of or have been given chances of a starting role. I don't think he's one of the best, but I think he could be an improvement for numerous teams.
I'm with you on this on Valhalla and came to list some of the NFL starters at QB who are worse than Foles. I don't think he'll be the Eagles savior with the gut-punch that is Wentz's ACL, but he is not the worst starting QB in the league. That's hyperbole.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku