Data people, I've got questions.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Data people, I've got questions.

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am

SO!

We're nearing the season of everybody using every stat imaginable for analysis and evaluation. One of my biggest pet peeves is "if you take away these xxx games, xxxxx only had 50/600/1, so he's not really that good." There's some merit to that, but the stats often get used poorly. Sometimes a WR explodes for two games and we all get excited, but really he's not that good. Other times, you've got Julio, who you own for the potential 13/200/2 games.

Anyway, I'd like to compile all data for the top 32 WRs with week-to-week data sorted low to high that will filter out worst/best games evenly, so that when people use the above logic, they can see how the same logic changes other players' production. I've hit two big snags:

1. Is there a way to import data from a fantasy site? I really, really, really don't want to do that manually.
2. I don't know how to approach missed games. On one hand, the player did score 0 points that week, but on the other, that's a little different than someone actually posting a 0/0/0 line. I've explored omitting those games entirely, plugging in those weeks as the player’s average, or plugging in those weeks as 0, but I feel that each option either overemphasizes or overemphasizes missed games. In reality, we all value missed games and injury-prone players differently, but how do we thin I should approach injuries for this project?

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Data people, I've got questions.

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 am

maybe try omitting the injured games and showing a players "weekly average" as well as a "high" a "low" and then maybe a second average if you eliminated outliers to show a players expected weekly average
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 pm

BigBawseRoss wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 am maybe try omitting the injured games and showing a players "weekly average" as well as a "high" a "low" and then maybe a second average if you eliminated outliers to show a players expected weekly average
My hope was an adjustable spreadsheet that people can download and use. You can select omitting the top however many or bottom however many.

I also think simply omitting missed games and working with averages benefits injuries more than it ought to.

cmizelle
Starter
Starter

Postby cmizelle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

If someone know of a place where I can get access to the player / game data in JSON format I could pretty easily set up some sort of utility to manipulate it however you want. Problem is, I don't know where to get the data.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 pm
I also think simply omitting missed games and working with averages benefits injuries more than it ought to.
You can also look into weighting games injured, and even play with weightings that penalize more the more games the player missed
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

gausec
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gausec » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 pm

cmizelle wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm If someone know of a place where I can get access to the player / game data in JSON format I could pretty easily set up some sort of utility to manipulate it however you want. Problem is, I don't know where to get the data.
What kind of data are you looking to access? If it is just fantasy points MFL, makes it pretty accessible and has records from previous years. If you are looking for stats for weekly totals, Profootball reference, and FFToday is pretty good. However, that issue is you'd have to input the data one by one, not sure if it is JSON, or sure what JSON even is.
12 team, 1PPR: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, Flex
QB: Brees, Smith, Bortles,
RB: Zeke, Freeman, Buck Allen, Duke, Burkehead, D. Lewis, A. Peterson, C. Grant, Blount
WR: Hilton, Thielen, G. Tate, Edelman, Fuller, Cobb, R. Matthews, C. Meredith, Ginn, Amendola, Pryor, Hurns, J. Matthews
TE: Kittle, Eifert, Brate, McDonald, J. James
IR: K. Dixon, Jermey Hill

2019 Picks: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th
2020 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th

cmizelle
Starter
Starter

Postby cmizelle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Ideally I'd like to find a site that would generate data for every player & statistical data for every game that player played in. MFL has a utility that gives you access to a lot of different kinds of data but not that type of data (check out:
https://www70.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... TE=details

JSON is just a data format, its easy to process in JavaScript for web pages (its the same format I use for my ADP pages). An example is :
{
"position": "WR",
"name": "Jones, Julio",
"id": "10271",
"team": "ATL"
}