Who to buy now with 2018 1st?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Who to buy now with 2018 1st?

Postby slaughterrt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Team 1: 16 team start 2QB, TE premium; tiered ppr, full IDP...

My team is 10-2 and 3rd overall...and is all but guaranteed to make a playoff appearance. Who should I look to buy with my 2018 1st (likely 1.12-1.16). It doesn’t have to be someone that will help me compete this year, but I wouldn’t mind buying low on a rookie/2nd year type guy who had a slow start. Any suggestions? I have a solid young core of Wentz, Matt Ryan, Kamara, Duke, McCaffrey, Dez, AJG, Landry, Kyle Rudolph, Funchess, Agholor, Kearse.

Team 2: 16 team superflex, .5 ppr, full IDP...

My team is 5-7 and 9th overall...and likely to miss the playoffs again. This is a rebuild project that outpeoduced my expectations this year thanks to guys like Wentz, Mixon, Hilton, Michael Thomas, Funchess, Doctson. Looking for the same type of guys as above. I would say my pick would be mid 1st (1.06-1.10) and though I’m not certain I want to move the pick, I would entertain the idea for a young player. Suggestions?

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Who to buy now with 2018 1st?

Postby Tsunami » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Team 1, think you could get a TE? My first offer would be for O.J. Howard.

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:35 am

Kenneth Dixon? Is that a slow enough start?

dazza
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dazza » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:41 am

Tsunami wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 pm Team 1, think you could get a TE? My first offer would be for O.J. Howard.
Exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. As a Howard owner I wouldn't sell for a late first, though-especially in a 16 team TE premium. Everett, Shaheen, Njoku, and Kittle are more likely targets, but none might be worth the pick straight up. Might be a long shot in the format, but I'd also see if the Trubisky owner is down on him (Mahomes, too, if his owner hasn't bought the hype). Could pay off huge if he shows development and has actual NFL receivers/better coaching next year

I can see why you are considering keeping your Team 2 pick, as it's likely to still be in the sweet spot of the second tier guys next year. OJ Howard is still an option for me. Mahomes/Trubisky too in SF, depending how you see them vs. next year's QBs. Davis' value shouldn't have dropped this much, but it's worth seeing if his owner thinks it has. Same goes for Engram and Hunt. I'd put Jordan Howard in the mix here too, as I expect him to bounce back next year in what will hopefully be an improved situation. The only concerns with Howard are that he doesn't add much ppr value, and his trade value may never reflect his talent (except to the guy whose team he's on, of course)

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:01 am

dazza wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:41 am
Tsunami wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 pm Team 1, think you could get a TE? My first offer would be for O.J. Howard.
Exactly what I was thinking as I read your post. As a Howard owner I wouldn't sell for a late first, though-especially in a 16 team TE premium. Everett, Shaheen, Njoku, and Kittle are more likely targets, but none might be worth the pick straight up. Might be a long shot in the format, but I'd also see if the Trubisky owner is down on him (Mahomes, too, if his owner hasn't bought the hype). Could pay off huge if he shows development and has actual NFL receivers/better coaching next year

I can see why you are considering keeping your Team 2 pick, as it's likely to still be in the sweet spot of the second tier guys next year. OJ Howard is still an option for me. Mahomes/Trubisky too in SF, depending how you see them vs. next year's QBs. Davis' value shouldn't have dropped this much, but it's worth seeing if his owner thinks it has. Same goes for Engram and Hunt. I'd put Jordan Howard in the mix here too, as I expect him to bounce back next year in what will hopefully be an improved situation. The only concerns with Howard are that he doesn't add much ppr value, and his trade value may never reflect his talent (except to the guy whose team he's on, of course)
I do like the suggestions of going after OJ in the TE premium. I may send out an offer and see what happens, but I imagine I would need to add a little bit to it. In addition to Kyle Rudolph, I do have Shaheen, Jesse James, Maxx Williams, and Austin Traylor. I’m souring in James and Williams, but I can’t straight drop them in those type of leagues. Maybe I can do a 2018 1st+James for OJ. Great suggestion going after him.

In the superflex, I like going after OJ as well. My TEs there are hot garbage with Coby Fleener and Austin Traylor. OJ was drafted at the 1.08 last year, so it would be about right value wise...although I’m not sure I would sell him for the same as I paid for him. My QBs are a little up in the air after Wentz...with Bortles, Bridgewater, and Davis Webb. If Bridgewater regains his starting role, I’ll be ok. Bortles I would sell in a second if I could get anything of use. Prob do the same with Webb if he gains any value as the year ends. Definitely need some RB help there too, as most of mine are flex-worth at best.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:22 am

I wouldn't pay a mid-1st for Howard in a superflex. Mid-round rookie picks are worth far more when you include the QBs as early picks, like last year instead of being 5 or 6 top rookies there were 9 in a superflex. I think 1.08 was early for him in a league like this, and his value should have gone down a bit since then.

In that second league I would suggest a QB. First target would be Andrew Luck but you would have to add a lot. Also would go after Mahomes, Stafford, Tyrod, Bridgewater, Bradford, guys like that. Not all would be worth a 1st by themselves but don't undersell, you can probably draft a good QB from that spot if a deal can't be reached.