Corey Davis - is this it, will it get better?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Corey Davis concerns?

Postby ArrylT » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:45 pm Maybe in your league you play golf rules and the lowest scores win, John Ross must have been the number one pick in ur startup.
Sorry but in that scoring format it would have to be Kevin White hands down (and I am a fan) just by number of seasons! 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:23 pm

On a more serious note I would say such

(a) nothing has happened to Corey Davis that has me concerned about his ability to reach his potential

however

(b) that does not mean he will reach his potential, and it is certainly logical to have concern about his team situation causing a delay in that

and

(c) while a JuJu Smith-Schuster may or may not have have as much potential/upside, it does seem likely at this current juncture that he is closer, in part due to his situation, and in part due to past production, to realizing / reaching his max upside than a C. Davis.

In the end I would have no issue with an owner who felt it was still safer to bet on Davis OR an owner who felt it was a safer bet to do so on JJSS. It all depends on your perspective.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 am

I've cooled some on both Mariota & Davis.

This is the year I feel like I'll know enough to reasonably project who they'll be long term.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:54 am

Mariota has always been overrated. I just don't see him ever being an elite passer. I still believe in Davis, he is too talented to give up on now
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 am

Being down on a player after a down year has always been the path to least resistance (aka recency bias) but it's often not the correct take in dynasty, just the easiest one.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 pm

btv802 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 am Being down on a player after a down year has always been the path to least resistance (aka recency bias) but it's often not the correct take in dynasty, just the easiest one.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Didn't say college production = pro success. But to state there were questions about "small school production " then that would not hold water unless you were on record saying Rice & Moss were bad picks. Doubt you'd proudly claim that.

At least you admit that being drafted as highly as Davis was even knowing his injury status says that the Titans obviously see him as a strong candidate for success once healthy.

And we can play outlier games by cherrypicking guys with stats both pro & collegiate to support our arguments. My only point was that to question his injury history or production prior to the draft process was ludicrous. He produced over 4 years w/o major injury concerns and at all time high levels.

To flip your argument around and play stat games should I list a bunch of WR's in the pros that out produced C. Davis last year and see if I can come up with a long list that you wouldn't ever trade straight up for ? There's a whole host them.

By your stats logic just using rookies you would trade me C. Davis for Trent Taylor ? Zay Jones ? K. Cole ? Godwin ? ...And that's a short list compared to vets his age range that clearly are better because their production says so. Since his evidence based value is less than those guys so I'd love to get Davis & extra from you for my Trent Taylor.

I'll gladly take my chances on speculating that Corey isn't going to play the same amount of snaps throughout his career. Or that he won't do more with them than every rookie WR from his class. (Juju included)

* Rice wasn't anointed the greatest of all time right away either. I drafted him his rookie year and liked him but had no idea what I had until about 2 years in. Nobody else did either including Bill Walsh. Do you know his stats his rookie year in playing a full 16 games ? Less than 50 catches, less than 1000 yds with 3 TD's. Only started 4 games.

So pardon me if I don't judge Davis whole career off of one injury marred rookie season. Experience tells me in the immortal words of George H. W. Bush " it wouldn't be prudent "
(R.I.P. Barbara Bush )

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:52 pm So pardon me if I don't judge Davis whole career off of one injury marred rookie season. Experience tells me in the immortal words of George H. W. Bush " it wouldn't be prudent "
(R.I.P. Barbara Bush )
Here's a link to the off-topic subforum for future reference:
viewforum.php?f=24

The only Bush I want in my football talk is Reggie.

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm

_yeti wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm
cazzie33 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:52 pm So pardon me if I don't judge Davis whole career off of one injury marred rookie season. Experience tells me in the immortal words of George H. W. Bush " it wouldn't be prudent "
(R.I.P. Barbara Bush )
Here's a link to the off-topic subforum for future reference:
viewforum.php?f=24

The only Bush I want in my football talk is Reggie.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm

:eh: But the former first lady looked a little like Wade Phillips

Here Aaron Rodgers dad gives you two birds in the hands to your one Reggie in the Bush discussion

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:20 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm :eh: But the former first lady looked a little like Wade Phillips

Here Aaron Rodgers dad gives you two birds in the hands to your one Reggie in the Bush discussion

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Gosh I miss Key & Peele - sort of like a Barry Sanders of comedy shows - retired in the peak of their prime.

Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Weeman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:10 am

No concerns should exist.... You know & I know, the Titans love to run, he had nagging injuries, when healthy is going to be exciting to watch!

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:51 am

He has the tools and skills to be very good if he's healthy. I think he's a good buy right now.

As far as scheme goes, the Titans have a new OC in LaFleur who's worked with Atlanta and the Rams the past few years. So, while I wouldn't expect them to set the world on fire, I don't think you can use historical evidence (largely from the Jeff Fisher years) to prove that they'll never be a good offense.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:08 am

Mularkey helped develop Matt Ryan while Michael Turner was running all over the NFL. Same blueprint was used here, he comes in and has a very heavy run-first approach. Doesn't ask Mariota to do too much as far as a complex scheme, and let's him develop into the NFL. Also, they had no weapons. Davis gets the growing pain year (literally, when he came into the NFL with a known injury). Now they go into phase two and let Mariota loose. Have a nice two-headed monster at RB. Mariota and Davis will have a big year.