Unique format idea

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Wolfepack28
Role Player
Role Player

Unique format idea

Postby Wolfepack28 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm not sure what made me all of a sudden come across this idea but I tried finding some discussion of it somewhere on the web but couldn't find anything.

A Nascar playoff chase style format. It's kind of a hybrid of head to head and points based. Hear me out on this and let me know what you think.

We'll use a 12 team league as an example. Regular season is weeks 1-12. Playoff weeks are 13-16. 6 teams advance to the playoffs.

Teams clinch a playoff berth by collecting a weekly high score throughout the regular season. Any remaining spots are determined by the most regular season points scored.

Round of 6 (Weeks 13-15)

Any of the 6 remaining teams can clinch an automatic berth in the championship round by collecting the high score in any of these 3 weeks. Only 3 teams advance to the championship round. Any spots not claimed by a weekly winner will be awarded in order of points scored in this round.

Championship Round (Week 16)

3 teams, most points wins. Simple enough.

This format gives everyone a shot right down to the last week of the season, which can keep everyone highly engaged, especially on the waiver wire even if a team isn't having a good year. All you need is one good (great) week to get your foot in the door for playoffs.

The number of playoff teams/weeks can obviously be tweaked, as I just used this a guide.

Thoughts?

patiloman13
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Unique format idea

Postby patiloman13 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:41 pm

I think the obvious issue is what if more than 6 teams get a weekly high score.

Wolfepack28
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wolfepack28 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Glad you asked. I wanted to put that in there but wanted to keep the post as simple as possible without addressing scenarios.

That can be up to the league to decide. If it were me, I would take the extra team or two and make it a round of 7 or 8 to stay true to the "automatic berth". You could also eliminate any additional teams by lowest season point total. But that does take away from the automatic berth idea. You can really tweak and tailor it many different ways.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:42 pm

take the 6 that scored the most high weeks, total season point as tie breaker, so if 5 teams score highest twice they are in, the other two teams are placed on their total points
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Wolfepack28 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 pm Glad you asked. I wanted to put that in there but wanted to keep the post as simple as possible without addressing scenarios.

That can be up to the league to decide. If it were me, I would take the extra team or two and make it a round of 7 or 8 to stay true to the "automatic berth". You could also eliminate any additional teams by lowest season point total. But that does take away from the automatic berth idea. You can really tweak and tailor it many different ways.
Or you could cut your regular season length by a week, and week 12 would be the pre-postseason. Teams 6-8 (if 8 had earned berths) face off, high score gets into the postseason. Acts like a bye for the remainder of the playoff teams.

But yeah, I do like this idea.
The standard is the standard.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Defender wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 pm
Wolfepack28 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 pm Glad you asked. I wanted to put that in there but wanted to keep the post as simple as possible without addressing scenarios.

Or you could cut your regular season length by a week, and week 12 would be the pre-postseason. Teams 6-8 (if 8 had earned berths) face off, high score gets into the postseason. Acts like a bye for the remainder of the playoff teams.

But yeah, I do like this idea.
Variation on my last post:

High score of the week is an automatic berth, but doing it twice gives you a week 12 bye. Unlimited number of teams can make the playoffs. The number of teams that can advance from week 12 is six minus the teams with a bye, highest score(s) advances.

By the numbers, you could end up with 5 teams with byes, or just one (however unlikely that is). The fewer the number of teams with byes, the crazier week 12 would be.

There should also be a rule that requires at least 3 teams be in the week 12 round, otherwise you could end up with an incredibly boring senario when 5 teams have byes, and only 1 other team has a berth, which would give them a bye by default. Ick. Definitely have a 3 team minimum on week 12.

Side note: Let me know if you decide to make this league. Love to join.
The standard is the standard.

Wolfepack28
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wolfepack28 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:49 am

Still thinking about this idea almost 2 years to the day later lol. I've started two 32 team leagues since this but I've stuck with a traditional format.

I'm unsure if I could fill a 32 team league with this format but I had an idea that would work much better if I could fill it.

32 teams. 12 week regular season. Playoffs weeks 13-16. 12 teams qualify for playoffs. Pretty standard from what you're used to seeing.

Each team can secure an automatic berth to the playoffs with a weekly high score in the regular season. There are 12 weeks and 12 spots available to accommodate 12 different high score earners. If there are only 8 different weekly high score earners, the remaining 4 spots will go to the teams with the highest regular season point totals.

Week 13 - Round of 12

The top 8 scores from week 13 will advance.

Weeks 14-15 - Round of 8

The top 4 combined scores from these two weeks will advance.

Week 16 - Championship week

The remaining 4 teams will battle it out for the highest score to win the championship.

BigJoeWall72
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BigJoeWall72 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:42 am

I love this idea in general. I think you're right that each league would have to tweak it slightly to their preferences.

When the NFL switches to a 17-game regular season schedule with a second bye week, that will open up even more options for possibly lengthening the playoffs in this kind of format.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:21 pm

I like the concept, but I’d tweak it so that the championship is two weeks long.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:36 pm

I could see the appeal in a redraft setting, but in dynasty, IMO, head-to-head match ups and the corresponding rivalries that develop are a huge part of the fun.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:01 pm

I like it.

I’d caution against getting guys that aren’t all in to a unique format, just to fill it. Seems obvious but could save you some trouble.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st