Julio jones

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1484
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Julio jones

Postby onetwothree » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Balzac wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am
The injury myth has been laughable as well. He has missed 17 games in 7 years, 12 of which came from a season ending injury. Dude plays hurt, because every nfl player plays hurt. There is just more of a spotlight on Jones because of his status in the fantasy realm.

Age is an issue, but still a few years off. Definitely not a Calvin issue. Calvin was being force fed on a terrible team that continued to lose. He was burnt out. Jones isn't being force fed and they are winning. He may have other reasons to walk but it isn't comparable.
Not missing games might be worse since you'll have to play him if he's out there regardless of if he's a decoy or not. Sometimes it's just better to sit and get better than to keep aggravating the injury.

There wasn't much of an inkling that Calvin Johnson was going to retire until he did and everyone was like, oh yeah, it was obvious that he was done even though it was a total surprise. Not saying Julio will retire. Just saying that players can get tired of the nagging injuries and think about quality of life after they have $100 million in the bank. There was a rash of players retiring around age 30 just a season or so ago. Just be open to selling your assets if the right offer comes in.

User avatar
dynastyninja
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1975
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:37 pm
He's one of those elite assets that doesn't seem to perform like we think he should. It may not have come yet, but at some point, you just have to admit he's not in the AB, OBJ, Mike Evans tier.

Injuries are a real issue, even if he doesn't miss games. You still have to sweat out some games to see if he'll play, or worry that he'll be playing while hurt, or being used as a decoy. Like onetwothree mentioned, it's similar to the last couple seasons of Calvin Johnson. These things don't show up in the end of year stats.
I can't even believe what I'm reading. The last three years he has been the WR6, WR2, and WR7. How should he be performing?

I'm fine with not putting him in the OBJ/Evans tier because of his age, but let's not act like he's underperformed. Julio is still an elite talent. He's just on a struggling Falcons offense this year.
Bye Every Week (14 team PPR, 1QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE)
QB: Rodgers, Luck, Winston
RB: Bell, Lacy, Anderson, Ingram, Spiller, Miller
WR: Brown, Julio, DT, Dez, Evans, Jordy, Perriman, Randle, Tampa Mike
TE: Graham, Gronk

User avatar
dynastyninja
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1975
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm

We're talking about Julio Jones here, right? He's been under 10 PPR points one time this entire season (in a down year). I'm completely fine with trading him for a good return (and have done so myself this offseason), but let's not act like we've been drastically overvaluing him for a couple years now.
Bye Every Week (14 team PPR, 1QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE)
QB: Rodgers, Luck, Winston
RB: Bell, Lacy, Anderson, Ingram, Spiller, Miller
WR: Brown, Julio, DT, Dez, Evans, Jordy, Perriman, Randle, Tampa Mike
TE: Graham, Gronk

User avatar
Phaded
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7202
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Julio jones

Postby Phaded » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm not worried about Julio at all since I see no concern with Julio himself.
Dude is still elite - the team has just transitioned to a more balanced team and the OC is substantially less aggressive than other OCs. The team has only thrown 7 TDs to WRs in the redzone all year. They don't feed Julio (although the HC keeps calling for it).

To say he is not in the elite tier is laughable because of one "down year" in which he is still 4th in the league in receiving yards. Yes, the touchdowns aren't coming but this community is so knee-jerk it is hilarious. I remember the freak out by so many people when Mike Evans had only 3 touchdowns in his second year. We aren't talking about some fall to being an irrelevant receiver. If him struggling and having an off-year is 4th in the league in receiving yards, give me that guy every time.

Evans has 160 less yards in 1 less game, should we start freaking out about him too?

In the last 3 years for Julio:
83/1409/6 in 14 games.
136/1871/8 in 16 games.
104/1593/6 in 15 games.

In the words of Aaron Rodgers - RELAX.
Far too lazy to keep updating my teams on this.. was outdated..

User avatar
JFever
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5171
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby JFever » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:56 pm

:clap: Well said.
Truth is found through Evidence and Evidence alone.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

User avatar
Pac_Eddy
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2204
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:26 pm

dynastyninja wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:54 pm
I can't even believe what I'm reading. The last three years he has been the WR6, WR2, and WR7. How should he be performing?
He should be getting in the end zone.

Most of my leagues are 0.5 ppr, so maybe that sways things a bit. He's currently WR17 ( 1 TD). Last year he was WR7 (6 TD) . In 2015 he was WR2 (8 TD).

He's been billed as a top tier WR. I'm saying he's not in that top tier, that's all. Part of that may be because he's got a high floor, but also rarely puts up a monster week for you, with multiple TDs & big yardage, like AB or OBJ.

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1038
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby ImaRounder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Curious to see a TY Hilton and Julio per game comparison over the last two years. I'm guessing it's pretty similar.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:29 am

Re: Julio jones

Postby StableOfRBs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm

ImaRounder wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm
Curious to see a TY Hilton and Julio per game comparison over the last two years. I'm guessing it's pretty similar.
Start of 2016 until now.

TY: 4.9 catches per game, 83.6 yards per game, 0.35 TDs per game
Total: 26 games, 127 catches, 2173 yards, 9 TDs

Julio: 5.7 catches per game, 91.5 yards per game, .29 TDs per game
Total: 24 games, 137 catches, 2195 yards, 7 TDs
12 Team .5 PPR, .2 PPCarry, TE 1PPR, 6 pt passing TDs, -3.5 per Int, 1pt/20 Return Yds
25 Player Rosters, keep 20, start 1QB 2RB 2WR 1FLEX 1TE 1DST

QBs: Andrew Luck, Tyrod Taylor
RBs: David Johnson, Melvin Gordon, Ty Montgomery, Doug Martin, Rob Kelley, De'Angelo Henderson, Chris Carson, James Conner, Austin Ekeler, Rod Smith
WRs: Amari Cooper, OBJ, Alshon Jeffery, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Doctson, Jeremy Maclin, Cooper Kupp
TEs: Jordan Reed, Jack Doyle, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Ricky Seals-Jones
DSTs: Bengals

User avatar
Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 14352
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 am
Location: Orange Beach, AL
Contact:

Re: Julio jones

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Phaded wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 pm
I'm not worried about Julio at all since I see no concern with Julio himself.
Dude is still elite - the team has just transitioned to a more balanced team and the OC is substantially less aggressive than other OCs. The team has only thrown 7 TDs to WRs in the redzone all year. They don't feed Julio (although the HC keeps calling for it).

To say he is not in the elite tier is laughable because of one "down year" in which he is still 4th in the league in receiving yards. Yes, the touchdowns aren't coming but this community is so knee-jerk it is hilarious. I remember the freak out by so many people when Mike Evans had only 3 touchdowns in his second year. We aren't talking about some fall to being an irrelevant receiver. If him struggling and having an off-year is 4th in the league in receiving yards, give me that guy every time.

Evans has 160 less yards in 1 less game, should we start freaking out about him too?

In the last 3 years for Julio:
83/1409/6 in 14 games.
136/1871/8 in 16 games.
104/1593/6 in 15 games.

In the words of Aaron Rodgers - RELAX.
Very well thought-out and informative post, nice job, sir
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
(Superflex in '18)
Back to Back Champion 2015 & 2016
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, Hunt, J.Williams, Kamara
WR: Julio, TY, Hopkins, Thomas (NO), Watkins, Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Kupp, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Howard, Fleener, Engram, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, Bucannon, R.Foster, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, S Anthony, ShaqT, Correa, BJ Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, Adoree, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

DLF forum joint-owner league - est. 2017
16-team, 53 roster, full IDP
South Alabama Irish
http://www61.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... =07&F=0001

User avatar
dynastyninja
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1975
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:26 pm
dynastyninja wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:54 pm
I can't even believe what I'm reading. The last three years he has been the WR6, WR2, and WR7. How should he be performing?
He should be getting in the end zone.

Most of my leagues are 0.5 ppr, so maybe that sways things a bit. He's currently WR17 ( 1 TD). Last year he was WR7 (6 TD) . In 2015 he was WR2 (8 TD).

He's been billed as a top tier WR. I'm saying he's not in that top tier, that's all. Part of that may be because he's got a high floor, but also rarely puts up a monster week for you, with multiple TDs & big yardage, like AB or OBJ.
Sorry man, I just can't see your point here. He's been a top tier receiver consistently up until this season. You're acting like he's not been producing like an elite receiver when he definitely has up until this season. Fantasy points are fantasy points. Doesn't matter how they get them.
Bye Every Week (14 team PPR, 1QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE)
QB: Rodgers, Luck, Winston
RB: Bell, Lacy, Anderson, Ingram, Spiller, Miller
WR: Brown, Julio, DT, Dez, Evans, Jordy, Perriman, Randle, Tampa Mike
TE: Graham, Gronk

adammc44
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Julio jones

Postby adammc44 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 pm

The thing that's so frustrating this year is they are finally targeting him tons in the redzone. I mean I've seen them miss several times on goal line fades and of course that drop the other week was killer. I agree with the sentiment that if the right offer came along maybe it's time to move and I can see the shades of Calvin, but still think you've got to consider him a top wr, fair if you want to knock him down out of the top 3 or 5 but certainly still in the top 10 for me. There's a few things happening, Ryan doesn't key on him and force feed him 17 targets a game anymore, the offense has regressed, and he's just had crappy luck on tds. I mean let's say he has even 5 tds at this point, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
The Men in the Black Pajamas (14 teams, 6 pt all tds, no ppr, 18+3 rookie taxi squad spots (up to 2 years))
start: 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te no flex, d, k
QB: Carr, Teddy Bridgewater
RB: M. Ingram, Crowell, Lynch, Rod Smith
WR: Julio Jones, AJ Green, D Thomas, R Anderson, S Shepard
TE: Rudolph, ASJ, Clay
Taxi: Shaheen, Jonnu Smith, D. Henderson

nathanq42
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:40 am

Re: Julio jones

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Evans is 5 years younger and has 4 TDs, that is why I'm not getting out about him
12 Team 20 man roster 4 reserve slots 1 ppr .2 points per carry
Air Force IV
1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1WR/RB/TE 1K 1DEF
QB Andy Dalton,
RB David Johnson, Isaiah Crowell, Tevin Coleman, Jerick Mckinnon, Alex Colins,Danny Woodhead, Terrance West, Kenneth Dixon, Orleans Darkwa, Alfred Morris
WR Mike Evans, Odell Beckham Junior, Arob, Cole Beasley, Marquise Lee, Nelson Agholor, Marvin Jones, DeMarcus Robinson
TE Jared Cook, Kyle Rudolph
K Dan Bailey, Matt Prater
DEF Eagles

2018
Second and on

Cameron Giles
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6681
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:00 pm

FWIW, Julio is PFF's 2nd highest grade WR this season. Antonio Brown is #1.

Again, this is mostly a conversation that boils down to touchdowns. While some players are typically more likely to get touchdowns because of their size around the redzone, touchdowns remain a random occurence. Jones is on pace for 86 receptions and 1,258 yards. If you gave him 8 touchdowns along with that, is anyone concerned? That's easily a WR1 finish.

User avatar
Jason3123
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2203
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Because fantasy players hate streaky WR's (see Brandin Cooks narrative), even though 95% of WR's are streaky lol.
10 Team Superflex / 23 Man Salary / 7 Taxi / PPR / 5pt RB 100 yd Bonus
QB - Andrew Luck, Andy Dalton, Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins
RB - Todd Gurley, Carlos Hyde, Lamar Miller, Ty Montgomery, Doug Martin, Eddie Lacy, T.J. Yeldon, Peyton Barber, Kenneth Dixon (TS), C.J. Prosise (TS), D'Onta Foreman (TS)
WR - Amari Cooper, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Jordan Matthews, Keenan Allen, Demaryius Thomas, Willie Snead
TE - Jimmy Graham, Charles Clay, Jason Witten, Vernon Davis, Erik Swoope, Maxx Williams (TS)
2018: 1st (top 3) 2019: 4th, 4th

Cameron Giles
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6681
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Re: Julio jones

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Jason3123 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:07 pm
Because fantasy players hate streaky WR's (see Brandin Cooks narrative), even though 95% of WR's are streaky lol.
Agreed. This whole consistency narrative is like chasing Bigfoot. Gameflow, matchups and system determine too much for any player to be consistent. Antonio Brown may be the closest thing we ever get to it.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArrylT, ESKAY, gausec, LaDarius, MEuRaH and 10 guests