Better Dynasty Assets: Goff + Wentz or Winston + Mariota?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Goff + Wentz or Winston + Mariota?

Goff + Wentz
81%
Winston + Mariota
19%

Total votes: 59

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Better Dynasty Assets: Goff + Wentz or Winston + Mariota?

Postby pvillebiker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 am

It's long been generally accepted in the dynasty community that Winston and Mariota are both high-potential, top 10 QB's, while Goff and Wentz were inferior assets and simply not as high potential. Has this year flipped that script or is this recency bias to the extreme.

Which pair do you think is more valuable and why?

Last year it was easily Winston & Marcus for me, but I actually would easily rather have Wentz + Goff now.

Wentz - this year + paired with new successful coach, enough said.
Goff - this year + paired with a crazy good and crazy young coach

Winston - has been good, not great. Coach on shaky ground (regime change coming?)
Mariota - legit concerns about ability to stay healthy + fully develop as a passer. Corey Davis doesn't hurt!

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Better Dynasty Assets: Goff + Wentz or Winston + Mariota?

Postby maxhyde » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:37 am

Davis isn't going to fix Mariota's lack of being a solid pocket passer. He will help with the transition but Mariota still is best when he is running too which is why he has injury concerns.

I am going with Goff and Wentz for now...guys that succeed in the pocket because you have to be able to do that to win in the NFL and play QB
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

smoger45
Role Player
Role Player

Postby smoger45 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:42 am

Eagles added needed weapons around wentz and he is not dissapointing. If they strike a new deal with Jeffrey and Ajayi the offense should be golden. Same goes for Goff. Added Woods, Watkins and Kupp.

I can see Mariota reaching a higher potential if Davis can break out. If Winston loses evans, he is toast. Would rather have Wentz and Goff right now over Winston and Mariota.
16 team 30 man PPR High scoring format.
QB/WR/WR/RB/RB/WR|TE flex
D/D/DB/DB/DL/LB/LB/LB/CB
Completions .5
Passing Yards 15 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 10
Interceptions -4
Rushing Attempts .5
Rushing Yards 5
yards per point Rushing Touchdowns 10 Receptions 1
Receiving Yards 4 yards per point
Receiving Touchdowns 10
Return Touchdowns 20
2-Point Conversions 3
Fumbles Lost -4
Offensive Fumble Return TD 20
Kickers
Field Goals
0-19 Yards 5 20-29 Yards 6 30-39 Yards 8 40-49 Yards 12 50+ Yards 15
Point After Attempt Made 2

QB. D. Jones, Herbert,
RB. D. Pearce, M. Gordon, N. Harris D. Singletary, Jamal Williams, Ty Johnson
WR. A. Cooper, Djax, Marquise Brown, OBJ, E. Moore, Duvernay, V. Jones
TE Z. Ertz, D. Waller
K W. Lutz
LB J. Baker, Mykal, Pratt, J.Phillips
DE C. Jordan, B. Burns
CB T. Diggs, K. Gordon, P. Adebo
S T. Edmunds, A. Winfield Jr. Marcus Williams

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:00 am

The argument here might be where you rank Goff among the four. What I don't think can be argued is that Wentz has ascended to the top of these options and that coupled with my opinion that Goff is at least very closely trailing Winston/Mariota means I'd take the Wentz side handily.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

jcc6fd wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:00 am The argument here might be where you rank Goff among the four. What I don't think can be argued is that Wentz has ascended to the top of these options and that coupled with my opinion that Goff is at least very closely trailing Winston/Mariota means I'd take the Wentz side handily.
Goff is the best of the four. I know the fantasy community loves Wentz. but Goff is better. Winston is simply not very good. He is not accurate and that has been hidden to a large extent by Evans up to this point in his NFL career. Winston also is terrible at reading defenses and his decision making is abysmal. Mariota is cursed with terrible coaching. His ability to transition to an NFL pocket passer will be stunted as long as the current coaching staff is in place, so it is difficlut to know how much is on him and how much is coaching. In any case, Goff and Wentz by a wide margin for me.

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 am

Not a fan of this due to it would've been completely opposite last season. Boils down to the coaching staff to me and them having the new blood come in helps boost Goff and Wentz. If we really believed Goff and Wentz are better then we would've been selling Mariota and Winston last year for Goff and Wentz... that just wouldn't happen.

Give me a 3 year plan for these 4 QBs and then we can decide who is the better group.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am

CK_ wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 am Give me a 3 year plan for these 4 QBs and then we can decide who is the better group.
Unfortunately part of dynasty is recognizing trends/flashes early enough and making decisions to maximize return. Have to be willing to be wrong to be right.

I get what you are saying and 2 have much smaller sample sample sizes than the QB's we are comparing to but while I like Winston and think he is probably 2nd on this list Mariota has more work than the other 3 to be consistent in the NFL. Mariota was ranked highly because he is young, has shown flashes of elite upside and the other options were not inspiring.
To say Winston would struggle without Evans is a bit of a stretch at this point imo because we have very few games to sample and predicting Winston isn't good enough to find the open guys is pretty difficult and not something I would do at this time.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:41 am

I can't stand Winston, plus I don't think he's ever going to be an elite QB. I'll side with Wentz and Goff just because I think Wentz has the highest ceiling of all of these guys
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:48 am

It has to be Goff and Wentz. They both have potential to be among the elite QBs. Winston and Mariota probably won't turn into elite guys.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 pm

This is not close for me. Winston/Mariota are just a couple more guys in that group of young QBs who looked like they might turn into something elite but then kind of leveled off. A couple more Ryan Tannehills.

Goff and especially Wentz are already playing at those elite levels.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:47 pm

This thread would've been laughed off the board a year ago. It's an unfair question to a degree because both Winston and Mariota have battled injuries this season.

I'm taking Wentz and Goff though. I'm more into QB's that can win from the pocket. I did not think Wentz was anything special, but it's an understatement to say that I was wrong.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm

-Wentz (everything you want in a QB and already producing top 5 numbers)

... Huge gap...

-Mariota (injury concerns are real but his legs give him legit upside that I don't see with the remaining 2 options)
-Goff (pedigree and decent production but part of me is worried that the rest of the league will catch up to that offense)
-Winston (major accuracy issues and poor decision making, plus maturity concerns. Never been a fan)
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Never been a mariota fan and now Winston has potential legal concerns.

Goff and wentz but as has been said this could flip in a month.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:47 pm This thread would've been laughed off the board a year ago. It's an unfair question to a degree because both Winston and Mariota have battled injuries this season.

I'm taking Wentz and Goff though. I'm more into QB's that can win from the pocket. I did not think Wentz was anything special, but it's an understatement to say that I was wrong.
Bingo! Isn't that what the dynasty dynamic is all about though? What was laughable last year is seriously obvious this year. For one simple reason. Change. It happens. Getting ahead of it will make owners rich beyond their dynasty dreams.

ppm
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ppm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:23 am

maxhyde wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:37 am Davis isn't going to fix Mariota's lack of being a solid pocket passer. He will help with the transition but Mariota still is best when he is running too which is why he has injury concerns.

I am going with Goff and Wentz for now...guys that succeed in the pocket because you have to be able to do that to win in the NFL and play QB
Wentz runs more than Mariota does. Big misconception that Mariota is just a runner. He's played mostly from the pocket in the NFL which is why his arrow was pointing way up prior to the step back this year. Also, of Mariota's injuries in the NFL, only the most recent hamstring injury was the result of him running.

That said, as someone who owns the Mariota and Winston tandem in a superflex league I would make this swap. I still very much believe in Mariota for the future but Wentz is the real deal already and Winston is a big concern at this point. Winston has been given all the weapons he could ask for and has not produced to reasonable expectations this year, and the concerns coming out of college (reckless turnovers and immaturity off the field) are coming to life in the NFL.
Last edited by ppm on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.