Making Lop-sided Trades - Impact and Prevention

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Making Lop-sided Trades - Impact and Prevention

Postby kamihamster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:59 pm

So another manager and I were having a discussion about what happened in our league. A lop-sided trade was made:

Team A gives: (95% chance) 1.01
Team B gives: Late 1st, Early 2nd, Late 2nd

It's obvious that the trade is unfair. Team A's manager has finished last two years in a row and looks like a 3rd is on the way. He hasn't spent any FAAB money yet, and has started players on byes once, and Fournette twice when he was injured/benched. We both agree that Fournette's non-playing could be that he just didn't see the news in time. The bye weeks can be understandable because he was hit hard with with players on bye and didn't want to drop a normally rostered player (although he had plenty of people to drop). It's hard to say that this manager is tanking because he just traded away his 1.01. We don't think it's collusion either. It was basically a stupid trade for Team A.

So our discussion was around wither or not Team B should have made that trade. He argues that for league parity Team B should not have made that trade. I am on the other side with a more my team first mentality so long as you're playing within the rules of the game. So we agreed to disagree.

That led us to how to prevent this. I've heard of rules where if you finish in last place 2 or 3x in a row you'll be booted from the league. This seems like a good option for this manager since they can't seem to turn their team around with Zeke and Fournette and just traded away their chance for Barkley. Are there any other options?
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Making Lop-sided Trades - Impact and Prevention

Postby pierson242 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:02 pm

kamihamster wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:59 pm So another manager and I were having a discussion about what happened in our league. A lop-sided trade was made:

Team A gives: (95% chance) 1.01
Team B gives: Late 1st, Early 2nd, Late 2nd

It's obvious that the trade is unfair. Team A's manager has finished last two years in a row and looks like a 3rd is on the way. He hasn't spent any FAAB money yet, and has started players on byes once, and Fournette twice when he was injured/benched. We both agree that Fournette's non-playing could be that he just didn't see the news in time. The bye weeks can be understandable because he was hit hard with with players on bye and didn't want to drop a normally rostered player (although he had plenty of people to drop). It's hard to say that this manager is tanking because he just traded away his 1.01. We don't think it's collusion either. It was basically a stupid trade for Team A.

So our discussion was around wither or not Team B should have made that trade. He argues that for league parity Team B should not have made that trade. I am on the other side with a more my team first mentality so long as you're playing within the rules of the game. So we agreed to disagree.

That led us to how to prevent this. I've heard of rules where if you finish in last place 2 or 3x in a row you'll be booted from the league. This seems like a good option for this manager since they can't seem to turn their team around with Zeke and Fournette and just traded away their chance for Barkley. Are there any other options?
Just because someone finishes last doesn't mean you kick them out. I also don't think that's a terrible trade. I wouldn't have done it but if your rebuilding you would want all the picks you can get
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:40 pm

How many teams in the league? Late 1st in 8 team league is a lot different than a late 1st and multiple 2nds in a 32 team league.

No reason to boot an owner just because their team struggles. There's a lot of luck involved and not every owner is spending hours a day managing their team. As long as they pay their fees and play fair then they should be allowed to continue playing.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 pm

I think unless you can prove that it's an extreme detriment to the league, you just let him manage his team how he wants, and continue to try to educate him if he's receptive to it.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:23 pm

I don't think there should be a hard and fast rule of kicking someone out for finishing last 2 or 3 years in a row. I took over an orphan last offseason and finished last as I decided to rebuild and because of injuries and bad luck, I decided to rebuild this year as well and should finish last again. However, I would say I'm one of the last people that should ever get kicked out of a league. Getting last a couple years in a row can happen to the best of us.

Instead, I think it should be a case by case basis. Trades such as what you've described are fine if they are one or two offs. However, if they happen over and over and you've tried to show them resources, explain that they could've gotten way more and show them how to improve and do an effective rebuild and they still aren't showing signs of improving and learning, I would look to replace that owner for the long term sake of the league.

Numerous lopsided trades to the betterment of the top teams are very detrimental to the league. Owners make shortsighted trades that end up biting them. Unless that owner is dedicated and willing to do multi year rebuild (a lot of newer owners may not be), they might just opt to quit the league instead of paying the entry fee to rebuild and no chance of winning for the next couple years. This will leave the league with a gutted team that has a rocky future ahead of it, that will make it very hard to find a replacement owner. Multiple owners like this and that's how you get leagues that fold over.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 pm

If you want a competitive league veto this trade and get rid of the non-competitive people. Why do you want this person around, are they a relative? You don't owe them any loyalty if they are ruining the league. If you want to just take this fool's money then your league sucks but it will be profitable for whoever takes advantage of him the most.

It's not Team B's role to decline a trade that is in his favor. He can accept the trade and then vote to veto it later if he's concerned about the league, but he shouldn't shoot himself in the foot. Because if he does that someone else will get a similar offer tomorrow, and they might not be so ethical.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Get 12(or 10,16, whatever) dynasty enthusiasts who will pay attention and participate in the league. It's a lot easier than trying to play trade police. Otherwise you just have to let owners make their own mistakes, and supply them with resources and input to educate themselves. But if u play with minnows you got to figure they're going to get eaten alive eventually. So either swim with all sharks, or don't be surprised when they feast on the fish.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Ghosted wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 pm I think unless you can prove that it's an extreme detriment to the league, you just let him manage his team how he wants, and continue to try to educate him if he's receptive to it.
Agree...and if all else fails maybe then you look at replace him. Some people act like they want to get into dynasty, but the fact is it's not for the typical fantasy player, it's takes addicts like us
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Whatevs6
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Whatevs6 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 pm

To shed further light on this situation, I'd like to clarify that this particular owner has actually finished in last/12th place the last three years and is expected to finish last again this year. As our league was established in 2014, that means he's finished last every year. I haven't checked, but I don't think there's another team in the league that has finished in the exact same position every year.

In addition, this is actually the second time that he's gotten trade r**ed for his 1.01. The first time was in 2014, when the league first started. We were all first time dynasty players (some more savvy than others obviously) so we gave him the benefit of the doubt and figured that he would learn from his mistake and improve. That was three years and three last place finishes ago.

As established earlier, in 2017, he's started players multiple weeks that didn't actually play and he hasn't submitted a single FAAB bid the whole season. In the manager's defense, we all know he works a lot (weekends included), so no one believes that there's been any collusion. We just think that he's really busy and just not that into dynasty. But even though there's no foul play involved, his continued carelessness are a clear detriment to the quality and parity of the league.

For reference, here's this manager's roster.

QB: E. Manning, D. Carr
RB: L. Fournette, E. Elliot, D. McFadden, D. Washington (Oak), D. Washington (Det), J. Williams
WR: A. Thielen, T. Williams, A. Humphries, M. Sanu, T. Lockett, B. Coleman, C. Patterson, Z. Jones, L. Carroo, C. Latimer, R. Cobb
TE: H. Henry, C. Fleener,
K: G. Taveccio
DST: Oakland
IDP: T. Davis, V. Miller, K. Chancellor, T. Johnson, K. Mack, H. Reddick, M. Teo, R. McMillan (WE ONLY START FOUR IDPS)

Note it's poor state overall and consider the fact that he didn't bother to replace his K and DST that were on bye. This is the same team that traded the 1.01 for a few dart throws...
12 Team Dynasty .5 PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 IDP

QB: D. Prescott, D. Carr
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Ekeler, I. Pacheco, J. Cook, J. Warren, G. Edwards, K. Miller,
WR: M. Evans, D. Adams, C. Olave, A. Cooper, G. Pickens, J. Reed, D. Douglas, D. Mooney, R. Bateman, R. Moore, D. Peoples-Jones
TE: S. LaPorta, D. Waller, J. Johnson
IDP: F. Oluokun, B. Wagner, T. Edwards, K. White
K:
DEF:

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:45 pm

The writing is on the wall, time for this guy to go...
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Leghumper
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Leghumper » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:04 am

You may not have enough to drop this guy in season but I would politely tell him in the off season that you will not be inviting him back for next year. Poor performance is one thing but it sounds like he's not even making an attempt to get better. i.e. 100% of his bid $$ remaining and injured/players on bye in starting lineup. Owners like that ruin the balance of the league. In this case, one of the competitive teams in the league is now going to get Saquon Barkley for a bargain basement price. Owners like that will bury your league....time to go.
"So many legs, so little time."

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 am

Another alternative: ask him to bring in a friend to co-own the team.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:06 am

moishetreats wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 am Another alternative: ask him to bring in a friend to co-own the team.
Great idea, imo.
QB: Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,
TE: Evan Ingram, Drew Sample, Cole Kmet

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't think you can justify this trade as the reason to boot him from the league. Someone could easily argue that the 1.1 this year (C Davis for arguments sake), could have netted you, Hunt, Kamara, Engram given the trade you posted above. If he's in last place he obviously needs a bunch of pieces, that could be his logic.

However, the obvious lack of commitment to his team/league is how you should approach this. I have a team that I plan on asking to leave my league this year because he hasn't set his lineup 2 weeks in a row, and it required me to go in and manually set his lineup with the highest projected players because teams were getting pissed since it was impacting the playoffs. His team is in last place, he doesn't own his 1.1, and given his failure to log on to set his lineup or make any attempt at managing his team, I am going to use that as justification to ask him to leave. Luckily in your case, it shouldnt be too difficult to find an owner to take over that Orphan given he has several assets on that squad.

Simply explain to him it doesn't seem like he has the time to manage his team and hes throwing away money. Arguing about what is a good vs bad trade isn't going to go well, especially since this is an established league and not the first year where you can say the owner has no idea what he's doing.
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:56 pm

I expected that roster to look much worse (though I'm ignorant on any IDP values).