Fair Trade or One-Sided, and Which Side?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ShipShape
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Fair Trade or One-Sided, and Which Side?

Postby ShipShape » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm

It appears as if there's a child (possibly children) in a dynasty league I'm in.
I know he's a child based on the temper tantrum he threw upon the announcement of a trade today.
Instead of wasting my time arguing with this child, I've decided to go to the adults, i.e impartial opinions from dynasty vets, in an attempt to settle this for the health of our league.

Here's the trade:

My Jimmy Graham, Ameer Abdullah, Ryan Fitzpatrick
for
His Keenan Allen, 2018 4th, 2019 3rd.

Pretty lack luster trade to get upset about, but here we are.
My team is in the sig., please note it's a 16 team PPR.
My trade partner is a contender at 7-3.

Without getting too deep into why I made the trade, I would like to hear your opinions on both the trade itself, but also as to why you think he was upset.

Thank you.
16 Team, PPR, IDP (2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB), Startup 2017
QB: Jalen Hurts, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston/Andy Dalton, Skylar Thompson
WR: AJ. Brown, Rashod Bateman, Amari Cooper, Keenan Allen, Skyy Moore, Quez Watkins, Josh Palmer
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Alvin Kamara, James Robinson, Isiah Pacheco, Boston Scott, Latavius Murray
TE: Evan Engram, Trey McBride, Jonnu Smith, Kylen Granson, Cade Otton

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Fair Trade or One-Sided, and Which Side?

Postby sugbear65 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Cheap for Kennan but nothing to get upset about. If the other owner is in win now and the only hole in their roster is TE, then it's completely understandable. Especially if they have depth at WR. And getting extra depth at RB with Abdullah couldn't hurt. Overall value is leaning Kennan side, but most win now type trades are a little lopsided by nature.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm going to guess that this "child" doesn't grasp the concept of dynasty and is upset that you're loading up a contender with a top 5 TE for a WR3. But the truth is that both teams benefit from this trade and thus fair. Clearly your team is not competing this year so a 25 year old Allen holds more value than a 30 year old Graham. And your trading partner is selling his future assets for the here and now. This is as basic as it gets for dynasty trades.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Basically it is Graham and Abdullah for Allen. My guess is that the complaint comes because it hurts that persons chance to win this year by beefing up a competitor with Graham at TE and providing RB depth for a guy that's performed run of the mill at WR? Seems more likely than the discount applied to purchase Allen. This time of year has people focused on winning, not discounts on dynasty assets (generally).

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 pm

If we go according to DLF ADP this is giving away Keenan Allen at a huge loss, and borderline veto worthy. But in a 16 team league RBs are worth more than WRs, and this is particularly true if you start more than one (I don't see your starting requirements posted.) And also, Keenan Allen is currently under-performing, so I can see his value dropping pretty soon if people start thinking his production is volume-dependent. So while I still think it is a solid win for you, I probably wouldn't object.

Also, can we stop with using "child" as an insult? There's nothing wrong with being a child.
Last edited by Tsunami on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 pm

I think the Allen side won this trade, but wouldn't throw a fit over it.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 am

He is upset because the trade was very lopsided in terms of value. You won the deal.

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 am

idk tell him stfu and dont respond to him.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:36 am

No issues with this trade whatsoever. Any complaints are probably just sour grapes.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

ShipShape
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ShipShape » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 am

I appreciate the input. The side that he was upset over was the Jimmy G & Abdullah side. Couple of you nailed it. Basically, he's pissed because A, in his mind the values were extremely skewed in the favor of JG/AA, and B, a contender just got that much better.

Interesting to see the responses as to how it could've gone either way. We've had some growing pains this season, primarily stemming from trades and people thinking that their personal valuations trump all without understanding the bigger picture. It's frustrating because it doesn't take much research to see that there is an industry standard in regards to trades and vetoing, but forest through the trees and all that. This was a great trade for both teams, end of story.

I think the real moral here is if we lose any owners over bullshit like this (already lost two previously and go figure, he's a replacement) then we're coming here for the replacements :thumbup:
16 Team, PPR, IDP (2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB), Startup 2017
QB: Jalen Hurts, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston/Andy Dalton, Skylar Thompson
WR: AJ. Brown, Rashod Bateman, Amari Cooper, Keenan Allen, Skyy Moore, Quez Watkins, Josh Palmer
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Alvin Kamara, James Robinson, Isiah Pacheco, Boston Scott, Latavius Murray
TE: Evan Engram, Trey McBride, Jonnu Smith, Kylen Granson, Cade Otton

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:36 am No issues with this trade whatsoever. Any complaints are probably just sour grapes.
I agree with this post. I can see the merits from either side. I like the value on the Allen side a bit more (but also because I'm not big on Abdullah). As far as the rankings, the consensus may appear to be off, but some of the experts have Allen as far back as mid-40s and others have Abdullah as high as mid-50s. Think this easily falls in the range of 'win now' and player evaluation differences.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 am

KA quite easily for me. But he just needs to suck it up.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am

Think Keenan is a bit overrated/overvalued so seems pretty even to me.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am

ShipShape wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 am
I think the real moral here is if we lose any owners over bullshit like this (already lost two previously and go figure, he's a replacement) then we're coming here for the replacements :thumbup:
I always criticized my league commissioner for finding terrible replacements. Seemed like every new owner showed up and immediately did something stupid. So this past year he let me pick the new owner instead. I posted here and got a few replies, I screened them by looking at some leagues that they had been in in the past, and picked a guy who definitely seemed to know what he was doing.

Within the first month he made 3 questionable trades including giving Antonio Brown for 1.8 + a late 1st. Just because you find someone here doesn't mean they know how to play. Just a warning.

HobokenYuppies
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby HobokenYuppies » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 am

Hey All,

I'm the owner that traded with ShipShape. New to the site. Since that breakout, 3 owners have been eliminated based on their absolute temper tantrum in our main league chat. The last thing I want to do is have owners that the minute a trade gets pushed through, send an entire note to the league questioning the integrity, claiming so and so is being hustled. You focus on playing, know the rules and not complain about value. That's your loss for not taking advantage if one owner thinks it's so lopsided.

With that in mind, I am putting out feelers for potential owners. Feel free to let me or ShipShape know.