Player of the Year

My top 24 at each position (TEs)

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Analysis in parantheses.

Link to WRs: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151467&p=1363187#p1363187
Link to RBs: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151468
Link to QBs: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151466&p=1363186#p1363186

Tier 1 (No-questions asked studs)
1. Travis Kelce (Looks every bit the part. He's the top TE for me and the only one in this tier)
2. Zach Ertz (It's all come together! He's with Wentz long term and Wentz loves him)
Tier 2 (Studs, but with a small concern)
3. Rob Gronkowski (Top producer when healthy. He's never healthy for long though)
4. Evan Engram (Looks every bit the part of a fantasy stud, though he'll need to block eventually)
Tier 3 (I think these guys will be long-term studs, but I wouldn't gamble on it)
5. Jordan Reed (Concussions & injuries, but that's the only issue)
6. Hunter Henry (Has only produced inconsistently, but he's extremely young)
7. Jimmy Graham (Is he back for real? He's got 3-5 years left to be elite)
8. OJ Howard (Lack of early production doesn't concern me)
Tier 4 (The tier of TEs who could finish below 30 or top 12 depending on the year)
9. Greg Olson (The injury hurts, and he wasn't young before it. Does he come back full force?)
10. David Njoku (It's extremely difficult to judge anyone on the Browns offense, but Njoku could be good)
11. Kyle Rudolph (He's not bad, but he's not good. Emergence of two legit WRs hurts his upside)
12. Delanie Walker (Scores a lot of points, but how long does he stay this good?)
13. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (One of two TEs [Njoku] that I can see leaving tier 4 for a better tier)
14. Austin Hooper (As long as Julio and Freeman/Coleman are there, he won't be consistent)
15. Tyler Eifert (If not for injuries, would be tier 1. I'm not sure he'll play sustained snaps again)
16. Eric Ebron (Lions keep giving him chances and he keeps watching them bounce off of his hands)
17. Jason Witten (Ride this train till it stops, he's been insanely reliable)
18. Jack Doyle (Having a great year, but what happens in 2018?)
19. George Kittle (Looks... okay. Solid for a rookie though)
Tier 5 (God help you if one of these guys is your starting TE)
20. Charles Clay (Good luck choosing the right weeks to start him)
21. Gerald Everett (He's got the talent, but I won't move him up until he proves that he can play consistently)
22. Cameron Brate (At best, a solid fill-in for the remainder of 2017)
23. Jared Cook (He's been solid this year, but I don't think it lasts long)
24. Jake Butt (Would have been a first rounder, if not for the injury)

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Re: My top 24 at each position (TEs)

Postby Sterling Archer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:00 pm

FWIW, TEs fall off the cliff earlier than WRs. Jimmy Graham has 0-1 years left to be elite (if he ever was - seemed like a Brees byproduct) and 1-4 years left to be good.

But overall good list. More nitpicks: Ertz is a year younger than Kelce and without the microfracture knee, so I'd give him the edge. It's a bit early to put Engram in the same tier as Gronk. Olsen is pretty old and CMC will be stealing some of his looks. Walker also too old. I'd move Doyle way up the list - Swoope's injury has definitely inflated him a bit, but Doyle was always going to be the TE1. Brate will probably take a backseat next year, but he has dynasty upside. If Butt is there, then so should Shaheen.

cookiecrisp13
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cookiecrisp13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:20 pm

Dutchess, I disagree about Jimmy. 1 year left? TE's dont last? Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Greg Olsen, Antonio Gates all still put up numbers in their thirties. I think TE's are a durable position and theres plenty of value buying around age 30.
==2016 Champion==
12 Team PPR, Start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T, W/R/T
QBs: Tannehill,, W. Levis
RBs: B. Hall, B. Robinson, D. Achane
WRs: JSN, C. Olave, K. Toney, R. Moore
TEs: Kittle , Likely, Mcbride
Taxi: J. Addison, CJ Stroud
2024 Picks: 4x1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:40 pm

I think his comment was primarily about the use of the word 'elite'. If so, I'm inclined to agree, as the 'elite' years are past. I own him, and while he is 'good', he has not been 'elite' by my definition for a while. I agree with the timeline projection for 'good' continuing.

As for Ertz/Kelce, the microfracture doesn't seem to be an impediment, though I'm now familiar with the longer term effects. Are there any that would result in additional expected risk? One year differerence doesn't swing anything for me, though Carson Wentz could.

It feels crazy to have Ebron where he is based on...Ebron, though I get the reasoning. I think I'd have a tough time selling some guys under him to acquire him though. He's not producing for win now teams, and younger guys have more perceived upside.

Also seems rich to have Witten there. He's still doing stuff, but I'm not taking him over a few guys below in any circumstance what so ever. He's a super cheap stop gap option only.

Anyway, love the list sharing. Great job.

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:49 am

cookiecrisp13 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:20 pm Dutchess, I disagree about Jimmy. 1 year left? TE's dont last? Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Greg Olsen, Antonio Gates all still put up numbers in their thirties. I think TE's are a durable position and theres plenty of value buying around age 30.
You're right there are some guys that have been able to linger (there are always exceptions), but generally speaking they start to slow down earlier than WRs. So like the other guy said, I was referring to his "elite" years being over. He can still be productive, but given age and injury history I don't think he's going to stick around as long as guys like Witten and Gates. I also think Brees inflated his perceived skills but peppering him with a ton of accurate targets.