General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: My top 24 at each position (WRs)

Postby captain howdy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:19 pm

thebeast wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:40 am
Sterling Archer wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:20 am
FiremanEd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:20 pm Whether the current volume is sustainable or not, the real question is what is he as a talent, age, and situation? Obviously if the targets drop to a level that leaves it unsustainable to be a WR1 that is different, but I don't think targets will be an issue even if they do drop. As a player, are guys you'd put ahead of him better off to validate moving him lower? I guess i just fail to see why people focus on Hopkins with so many of these takes. The guy is a baller. He has everything I want and now he appears to have a QB. Drop the targets a bit, he's still a WR1.

I suppose rather than hear about why Nuk should be dropped, how about opinion on who should pass him to justify it (as if 1-2 spots in rankings actually means anything...). Is it AB and Julio? If so I think we can agree on understanding why they are below. The age debate is a long one. AJG falls into the same bucket. It can't be anyone from Tier 3 IMO, so that leaves Michael Thomas. I don't think he's the better player, he has the older QB, and the 9.5 months age difference doesn't do much to change my opinion.

Barring Brock, Nuk seems like as safe an asset as you can get, with big time upside. I personally feel his ranking is justified and would be interested to hear who should be above him, not just commentary on how he can't sustain the far and away WR1 rank he's putting up with the current volume, which leaves room to drop and still be 'elite'.

Appreciate the list being posted for good discussion. Nice job. I will comment on the other rankings later, but will note that Sammy Watkins scares the crap out of me. I would be scared putting him above #20 right now based on floor and ceiling.
Rankings are difficult to really debate about, but to me Hopkins is basically a young Crabtree. Someone else later calls him a beast. He's definitely not. He runs great routes and has great hands, but he's been in the league 4.5 years and he's only been a "beast" for 1.5 years. The one full year he had a ridiculous amount of targets while down 2+ scores. Sure garbage time counts for FF, but I'm a big proponent of context when looking forward and I don't expect him to playing against prevent defenses for the rest of his career. There was some sentiment before Brock that he was "QB-proof" but what people failed to realize was that Fitzpatrick and Hoyer both had QBR above 90 during his 2nd and 3rd seasons AND Andre Johnson was drawing a lot of double teams during Hopkins first two years.

Now don't get me wrong, Crabtree was an underrated talent saddled with a bad situation. He didn't get garbage targets from a 90 QBR at any point during his younger years, but he also runs great routes and has elite hands, always scoring high on contested catch rate. So calling Hopkins a young Crabtree is not a dig. But it just puts things in context.

So I don't know exactly what to tell you about rankings, but from a skills + age perspective, I see him equal with Keenan Allen. Yes, Keenan gets dinged for a lacerated kidney, an ACL tear, and a dearth of touchdowns this year, but they're the same age, Keenan is also a great route runner with great hands and a high contested catch rate. Their injuries and situations have differed greatly, but going forward I like them similarly. So my answer about where he belongs in the rankings is "right around wherever you rank Keenan."

Also, I've got a bad feeling that Watson and his popgun arm* will come back to earth next season. He was on a historic TD pace for a rookie. I mean, Will Fuller with his Ted Ginn-esque brick hands was catching a TD about every other reception. Something weird was going on in Houston.

*https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/deshaun-watson/
You must be new to football and analysis. Welcome
:D

Exactly, like measured throwing velocity at the combine should trump game results for half a seasons work.

Nonsense.

Negligible difference between him and Brees btw.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/drew-brees/

Ya think others things impact NFL success more than throw velocity measured in shorts

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: My top 24 at each position (WRs)

Postby Valhalla » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 pm I can't believe you of all people left out Josh Gordon!
That was his top 24 WRs, not his top 24 gods