Is Landry a Sell high ?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Jarvis Landry - Should You Care?

Postby captain howdy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:46 pm

A good thing about landry, too, is he's a gamer. He's clutch. Even going back to lsu with Odell beckham, it was landry who came up big in the big games and marquee matchups.

Bc of this, I think Landry will get that big contract..probably Keenan Allen plus inflation increase..
And once he's paid, he's likely to be targetted.

And the touchdown stuff isnt a fluke, I've said for years he's been underutilized in the redzone...even his detractors have to admit, getting open /making the catch in close quarters is what he does well

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:50 pm

Tsunami wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:24 am Landry was 2nd in the league in YAC last season and 26th in yards per target, which is not horrible. He was 11th in 20+ yard receptions, 7th in yards per route run and 2nd in yards per route run from the slot (behind Edelman). All of those numbers are way down this season, so I don't see how you can say this is "what he has always been". I don't know for sure the reason for this decline, but something has definitely changed from last year.
You're not allowed to use data from previous seasons in this thread. All of the haters are looking only at this year's numbers.

What changed? Ryan Tannehill hurt and a replacement named Jay Cutler who should have stayed retired.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:12 am

dynastyninja wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm Alright, time to move on from the metrics discussion that nobody is following. Current ADP is WR20. Agree or disagree?
Good point. I would say disagree, as it's higher by a few spots IMO.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 am

Tsunami wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:24 am
Ghosted wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm
Again, I have still yet to have heard a well-constructed argument supporting the fact that Landry is something different than what he has always been, just because. Is there something tangible that you can provide to support your stance?
Landry was 2nd in the league in YAC last season and 26th in yards per target, which is not horrible. He was 11th in 20+ yard receptions, 7th in yards per route run and 2nd in yards per route run from the slot (behind Edelman). All of those numbers are way down this season, so I don't see how you can say this is "what he has always been". I don't know for sure the reason for this decline, but something has definitely changed from last year.

It's ridiculous to say he wouldn't be used heavily by a new team. Last year the QB's rating targeting Landry was 101.6, this year it's 79.1. That's Drew Brees level production out of Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore. He's 8th in the league this year in first downs, so though his yardage is low he's still a productive and efficient slot receiver.
Those are volume-dependent statistics, and I don't think that's the argument with his current team. He was also dead last in aYPT of any of the top 36 qualifiers in WOPR. You do bring up some good points, but most are pretty low on my list of considerations, personally. To me, that speaks to his real-life value to a football team, not his future fantasy value.

And why is it ridiculous to speculate how he'll be used with a new team? Can you cite another offense that funnels targets to a similar WR in that manner? Are we just to assume that will be the case without questioning it?

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Ghosted, where would you rank Landry among WRs?

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm Ghosted, where would you rank Landry among WRs?
Talk about something that no one will be paying attention to :(

He's top 20 for me for sure, given what we know right now (I'm not going to bore people with my actual rankings). So much can change though in the next few months, and that's where I think the value of this conversation lies.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Ghosted wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm Ghosted, where would you rank Landry among WRs?
Talk about something that no one will be paying attention to :(

He's top 20 for me for sure, given what we know right now (I'm not going to bore people with my actual rankings). So much can change though in the next few months, and that's where I think the value of this conversation lies.
Oh, well then we're actually probably all pretty close. I'm not going much sooner than 20 for him.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Landry had two big plays downfield. One with Cutler was called back because of holding on the line. If we see more of that going forward, my concerns are erased. But, that hasn't really been the case over his career.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:30 pm Landry had two big plays downfield. One with Cutler was called back because of holding on the line. If we see more of that going forward, my concerns are erased. But, that hasn't really been the case over his career.
I think a lot of that is because he hasn't been given the opportunity, but is clearly able when given a chance. Hopefully they run more downfield plays for him going forward.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 am

Who are these 20 WRs who are better than Jarvis Landry in either a dynasty league or a redraft league? I guarantee I can pick that list apart.

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:19 am

Tsunami wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 am Who are these 20 WRs who are better than Jarvis Landry in either a dynasty league or a redraft league? I guarantee I can pick that list apart.
Ditto. Here's my list (dynasty)

Odell
Brown
Evans
D Hop
AJG
Julio
M. Thomas
Thielen
TY Hilton
A. Rob
D. Adams
S. Diggs
K. Allen
D. Baldwin
A. Cooper
J. Landry #16 (15-20 range)
D. Parker
C. Davis
D. Bryant
J. Nelson
D. Thomas
T. Hill
A. Jeffrey
M. Crabtree
and lastly, yes, L. Fitz as he got his new contract.

If Landry gets moved, I can see him climbing up all the way to just under D. Adams
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:19 am

Brandin Cooks is missing from that list
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:32 am

Comical in my opinion how Landry's production is unappreciated and how his accomplishments despite his poor situation - are minimized. As if it's his fault for the play calling. Those that insinuate that there is mountains of evidence that points toward that type of usage is all he can do are simply taking the easy approach here. HOW do you know that those short routes are all he is good at? We flat out do not have enough / sufficient evidence to say anything either way. WE do know that he excels at short to intermediate routes, we do know he is a gamer, and plays with tremendous grit. We do know that he hasn't had stellar qb play, consistent offensive make up, coaching, running game, and his fellow wr's have been here or there. All the kid does is show up and produce. Yet, in this hobby, we have folks who for their own reasons, are insinuating that he (Landry) is or should be ranked as a fringe low end wr2 because he CANT run deeper routes. Flat out just not true. That just doesn't make a lot of sense. I think there may be a few people that are frequent contributors that do a lot of box score checking, data analysis, and metrics studying, but - seemingly don't watch the games.

Either way I guess. A top 20 wr is still a starting wr for fantasy purposes each week. We in fact, may be splitting hairs, I admit that to a degree. It's ok to have different rankings, and I realize that. I think the rationale as to how we get these differences in opinion is what irked me on this one. I've been on the Landry train since he was drafted and I guess I get a touch defensive. I love watching him play the game. He, to me, has multiple traits that contribute toward his success that aren't quantifiable. Just seems that on these threads that the hypocrisy runs pretty deep at times. And, during the ebs and flows of a single NFL football season, we have DYNASTY players / owners that have opinions and rankings that seem to fluctuate quickly, frequently, and be very knee jerk if it suits them / or players they own. This clouds the waters for me at times. This thread and a couple posters within it, focused much of their rationale for doubting Landry on 9-10 games from THIS YEAR, while somehow, conveniently for their point, completely dismissing the previous TWO F*&*ing seasons.

Seem strange? Yeah... it does.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 am

All we can do is wait-and-see at this point. Both sides have used good arguments/counter-arguments supporting their stance, and some are way too dug in for either side to change their mind (this thread obviously wasn't for them).

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 am

True enough Ghosted. Wait and see is all we can do. Folks are pretty entrenched on this one. Seems to me that one side of this discussion is firmly rooted in common sense however. Meanwhile another side is extrapolating their reasoning from smaller sources of data that support their stance, meanwhile / simultaneously - stat lines that may be derived from more significant amounts of data are minimized or ignored out of convenience to suit / support the counter point. This is why I chimed in - in the first place.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.