Michael Thomas Thread: Still a WR1?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Hahaclintondix
Starter
Starter

Re: Michael Thomas

Postby Hahaclintondix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Jpalladino91 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm I'm confused as to how is currently a WR1 statistically, as he was last year, and should finish as one of 4 receivers to ever have 70+ receptions/1000 yards in their first two seasons, but is being discounted as doing less. After Cooper's second season was being anointed a top 5 dynasty asset, at his current pace, MT's stats over his first two seasons easily exceed Coopers. Why is there an argument that he is isn't a WR1 until we see otherwise.
1,000x this. But Allen Robinson, who has had 1 good season is a top 12 WR :crazy: totally makes sense.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 pm

This is literally one of the most confusing threads I've ever seen on here...

If Thomas is NOT in your top-12 WRs for DYNASTY then you are smoking crack
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 am

Hahaclintondix wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 pm
Jpalladino91 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm I'm confused as to how is currently a WR1 statistically, as he was last year, and should finish as one of 4 receivers to ever have 70+ receptions/1000 yards in their first two seasons, but is being discounted as doing less. After Cooper's second season was being anointed a top 5 dynasty asset, at his current pace, MT's stats over his first two seasons easily exceed Coopers. Why is there an argument that he is isn't a WR1 until we see otherwise.
1,000x this. But Allen Robinson, who has had 1 good season is a top 12 WR :crazy: totally makes sense.
To be fair, Robinson's 1 good season was almost 50 points better than Thomas' last year, and 60 points better than Thomas' current pace. He also did it before Thomas entered the league despite being younger than Thomas. And he did it with Blake Bortles instead of Drew Brees. But yeah, otherwise the same "good season".
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:16 am

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 am
To be fair, Robinson's 1 good season was almost 50 points better than Thomas' last year, and 60 points better than Thomas' current pace. He also did it before Thomas entered the league despite being younger than Thomas. And he did it with Blake Bortles instead of Drew Brees. But yeah, otherwise the same "good season".
To also be fair, Robinson's one good season he had 30 more targets than Thomas did last year, and is projected to be ~10 more targets than Thomas will have this year. His one good season also was a result of a ton of garbage time padding his stats. His next season he also saw the 150 targets again and did nothing with them, as they didn't convert nearly as many garbage time stats. But yeah, otherwise the same "good season". (it's easy to cherry pick stats, and im just trying to bust your balls)

I am slightly confused how guys have DT over thomas, but everyone has different opinions. I know, i would never give thomas for DT, or Dez, but would prefer Julio/AJG to Thomas. I think Thomas slots in right around 6-10, and could easily move up if he produces well the rest of the season, or has a great year 3 also.

Hahaclintondix
Starter
Starter

Postby Hahaclintondix » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 am

jtd1387 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 am
Braylon Edwards had a good season this one time. Many of us would gladly take the guy who will have 80+ catches and over 1100 yards in each of his first two years. You take the guy who went bonkers in the perfect situation one time in 4 years. To each his own, but Thomas is top 12 and it's not even a legitimate question.

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:38 am

To discount Thomas because of what his QB future might be in several years is foolish. Brees came out and said he wants to continue to play in NO for multiple years. Trying to predict if they will end up drafting a Luck or a Bortles when Brees is gone is nonsense. No one is dropping AB and OBJ from their respective place in the top 3 because Ben and Eli are fading (faster than Brees). DT and Jordy may very well be out of the league before Brees retires. Arob being ranked over MT is just as foolish, we his QB situation may be the murkiest of them all and his proven production is limited to one season.

Furthermore, any argument that Cooper deserved his top 5 rankings, while MT doesn't deserve the WR1 ranking, is completely ignoring the fact that Cooper was outplayed by crabtree in both of the seasons he produced his 70/1000 lines. As a rookie, MT came in and averaged more yards, TDs, and receptions than Cooks, who I believe we can all agree is a better WR than Crabtree.

Currently Thomas is the #8 scoring WR in PPR. He is also the youngest player in the top 8. If he scored 1 more TD this year, he would be #3 in scoring.

Last year Thomas was #8 scoring WR in PPR. He was the youngest player in the top 8, outside of Mike Evans.
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

I knew the replies about Robinson would be A) garbage time and/or B) something something Braylon Edwards :lol:

I am not sure why there is so much discussion about who considers Thomas a WR1. After the top 3 (OBJ, Evans, Nuk) and the 3 super vets (AJG, AB, Julio) there is a tier of 8 or 9 guys that are pretty similar. If I have 2 of those guys, I don't really care which one is considered my WR1.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:25 pm

People forget Josh Gordon > Michael Thomas. So with that being said... fringe WR1/2
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

ShipShape
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ShipShape » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm surprised how polarizing MT appears to be. In a startup this year my #1 pick at the 9 holes was between MT & Coop.
I went Coop based on QB & situation with a dash of homerism, but I love MT. I think he's already proven himself as a top tier dynasty WR. Does he have the talent to be an elite top 5 WR type? Remains to be seen. But I'd take what he's provided this year every year in a heartbeat. TD's will come and go, but he's proving to be consistent, and that's hard to find. Only concern I have is the QB sitch, but I think Brees will stick around awhile, and you can say the same about a lot of guys, just have to trust the talent.
16 Team, PPR, IDP (2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB), Startup 2017
QB: Jalen Hurts, Derek Carr, Jameis Winston/Andy Dalton, Skylar Thompson
WR: AJ. Brown, Rashod Bateman, Amari Cooper, Keenan Allen, Skyy Moore, Quez Watkins, Josh Palmer
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Alvin Kamara, James Robinson, Isiah Pacheco, Boston Scott, Latavius Murray
TE: Evan Engram, Trey McBride, Jonnu Smith, Kylen Granson, Cade Otton

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 am

Saw him traded recently for three 1sts...two were from strong playoff teams and one from a team on the playoff bubble.
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Michael Thomas: Arguably the #1 Dynasty Asset?

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:58 pm

As a WR, he wins at each level of the field, is a superb route runner, reliable hands, and wins in the redzone. To me, it seems the only downside is that one day Brees will retire and Sean Payton might leave, and New Orleans offense could look completely different. By that same logic, it wouldn't make sense why Odell Beckham is #1 in ADP, given he has a worse QB who could retire in a few seasons and he's in a worse offense.

So, at what point is Thomas not in the discussion for the top asset? Through three games he's at 38 receptions, 398 yards and 3 TDs. Yes, regression will come but at this point he's one of the easiest starts in fantasy right now. Thomas has at least 5 receptions or 50 yards in 22 straight games. Sure, Brees will retire one day, but it won't be in anytime soon at the rate he's playing (on pace for over 5000 yards at age 40 and gets to play at least 9 games in a dome each season).

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Re: Michael Thomas: Arguably the #1 Dynasty Asset?

Postby hoos89 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:07 pm

You're looking at the QB question a bit wrong with respect to OBJ. He's produced at a high level in spite of his QB, whereas the argument goes that MT is producing at this level because of his QB. Eli's impending retirement or a potential change of team/offensive scheme for OBJ in the coming years is a plus, not a negative. Opposite is true for MT's situation.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:08 pm

The argument can definitely be made, a long with the rebuttals you already stated. I know a similar thought with Hopkins came up last year when Watson was going nuts, due to age+talent and a ton of volume. This goes in spurts and I am guessing SaQuan might have a thread titled this way in the offseason. It's why I hate picking at #1 during start ups. Good choices at the top, no clear cut guy usually.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:35 pm

MT is very talented himself and I do not think he is a product of Drew Brees.

The argument that could be made for the QB situation is definitely the efficiency which currently is a crazy 38 receptions off 40 targets.

I would put him in that top tier of WRs though. The OBJ owner in my league is shopping him and initially approached me about MT+ for him. At this point, I said I would rather keep MT (also consider myself a top contender this year).

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:15 pm

He's sure as bleep making his case for it
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol