Alshon - going rate?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

What is Alshon worth in rookie picks (12 team, 0.5 PPR)

Multiple 1st (early picks)
No votes
Multiple 1st (random picks)
14%
1 Early 1st
29%
1 Mid 1st
31%
1 Late 1st
22%
1 2nd
4%
1 3rd
No votes
1 4th
No votes

Total votes: 49

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Alshon - going rate?

Postby skip » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 am

Sterling Archer wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am The Philly offense has been MUCH better than Detroit's
Detroit is averaging more passing yards per game than Philadelphia. While the offense as a whole has been much better, it's been the running game that's making it so.

Jeffery has been productive nearly his entire career when healthy (other than his rookie year). So suddenly we are going to slam him based on a couple poor games this season? I guess I don't play in enough redraft leagues to have this kind of mindset. It's scary to think how little Amari Cooper might be worth...
Last edited by skip on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:33 am

For the Mastodons in signature I traded Buck Allen, Martavis Bryant and an early 2nd for him.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am

skip wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 am
Sterling Archer wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am The Philly offense has been MUCH better than Detroit's
Detroit is averaging more passing yards per game than Philadelphia. While the offense as a whole has been much better, it's been the running game that's making it so.

Jeffery has been productive nearly his entire career when healthy (other than his rookie year). So suddenly we are going to slam him based on a couple poor games this season? I guess I don't play in enough redraft leagues to have this kind of mindset. It's scary to think how little Amari Cooper might be worth...
Eh, he's had a weird career. He did most of his damage while Brandon Marshall was drawing the CB1 (+ double teams) and then he's had a multitude of soft tissue injuries (which you acknowledge by stipulating "when healthy"). So he's had 2.5 really good years and 2.0 of them came as the WR2 for his team.

As for Philly vs. Detroit, we're talking about 23 PTD vs. 14. The passing yardage is a negligible difference, so you're kind of tossing out a straw man there.

So I'm not slamming him for a couple bad games. He's in one of the best offenses in the NFL and he's getting targets, yet he's not really lighting it up. We don't know what next year will hold for him and he's injury prone. I'm not spending an early 1st on that.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Sterling Archer wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am
Tsunami wrote: ↑Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:26 pm Alshon is WR#5 in standard scoring, WR#9 in PPR right now. He has been elite in the past. Yet in DLF November mocks he went 39th, 49th, 38th, 38th, behind players like Jordy, Dez, DT, Golden Tate? He's not the most underrated player (that would be Jarvis Landry) but his 2016 value hasn't returned yet.
He has not had his bye yet so his season totals are inflated compared to just about everyone else (especially if anyone has missed a game or two to injury). Despite playing one more game, his stats are roughly the same as Marvin Jones. They are almost exactly the same age. The Philly offense has been MUCH better than Detroit's and Alshon is a FA next year. Anyone paying an early 1st (or more) for this guy is a sucker. Alshon is just a name brand WR, akin to Bose or Apple. There are much better deals out there for similar or better products.
This is Marvin Jones' best season ever, to have roughly the same stats as Alshon's worst season to date doesn't mean they should have the same value. Alshon has a WR2 floor and WR1 upside, he has a 1400 yard season under his belt. In the right offense he's more Julio than Marvin.

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Tsunami wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:20 pm
Sterling Archer wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am
Tsunami wrote: ↑Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:26 pm Alshon is WR#5 in standard scoring, WR#9 in PPR right now. He has been elite in the past. Yet in DLF November mocks he went 39th, 49th, 38th, 38th, behind players like Jordy, Dez, DT, Golden Tate? He's not the most underrated player (that would be Jarvis Landry) but his 2016 value hasn't returned yet.
He has not had his bye yet so his season totals are inflated compared to just about everyone else (especially if anyone has missed a game or two to injury). Despite playing one more game, his stats are roughly the same as Marvin Jones. They are almost exactly the same age. The Philly offense has been MUCH better than Detroit's and Alshon is a FA next year. Anyone paying an early 1st (or more) for this guy is a sucker. Alshon is just a name brand WR, akin to Bose or Apple. There are much better deals out there for similar or better products.
This is Marvin Jones' best season ever, to have roughly the same stats as Alshon's worst season to date doesn't mean they should have the same value. Alshon has a WR2 floor and WR1 upside, he has a 1400 yard season under his belt. In the right offense he's more Julio than Marvin.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply they held the same dynasty value. I was just pointing out that Alshon's 9 game totals (and consequently aggregate fantasy point totals) were not as impressive as they seem at first glance.
However, this is hardly Alshon's worst season and this is just the 2nd season in which Marvin has been a starting WR. I could easily see a scenario in which Marvin outscores Alshon for the remainder of their careers. It's even easier if you take into account Alshon's injuries.

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Sterling Archer wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am
So I'm not slamming him for a couple bad games. He's in one of the best offenses in the NFL and he's getting targets, yet he's not really lighting it up. We don't know what next year will hold for him and he's injury prone. I'm not spending an early 1st on that.
But are you basing this on box score or because you actually have seen the games?

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:49 pm

trc wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:21 pm
But are you basing this on box score or because you actually have seen the games?

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 pm

So he's putting up the 23rd best points per game in PPR but if you watch the games he is actually 'lighting it up'?

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Nanananananana wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 pm So he's putting up the 23rd best points per game in PPR
To add to this, he's 17th in targets per game in one of the best offenses in the league.

I usually give players a bit of a break if their targets/game and PPG don't match up when they're playing with a bad QB or dysfunctional offense, but when your QB is leading the league in TD passes, then your PPG should be better than your targets/game unless something really weird is going on (lots of uncatchable passes, bizarrely low TD numbers, etc.).

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:25 pm

And ladies and gents, if you ever need an example of someone using statistics to push an agenda rather than draw a conclusion, this is as good as any you'll find.

Regarding Alshon, I've liked him in general but it's hard to ignore that he's barely even a bottom of the barrel WR2 this year on one of the best offenses in football. People bring up that he's an UFA a lot but why is that a good thing, given where he's playing now? Seems the best case scenario is that he stays where he is, other options are mostly downgrades.

"Sure he was only a low end WR2 on 8 targets/game with one of the best QBs in football throwing to him, but imagine how good he'll be if he starts getting 8 targets from Deshone Kizer or Josh McCown!". It's an odd selling point.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Newts McBoots
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Newts McBoots » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:46 pm

I sent Duke Johnson and Devin Funchess for Alshon in a 14 team superflex league.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Vcize wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:25 pm
And ladies and gents, if you ever need an example of someone using statistics to push an agenda rather than draw a conclusion, this is as good as any you'll find.

Regarding Alshon, I've liked him in general but it's hard to ignore that he's barely even a bottom of the barrel WR2 this year on one of the best offenses in football. People bring up that he's an UFA a lot but why is that a good thing, given where he's playing now? Seems the best case scenario is that he stays where he is, other options are mostly downgrades.

"Sure he was only a low end WR2 on 8 targets/game with one of the best QBs in football throwing to him, but imagine how good he'll be if he starts getting 8 targets from Deshone Kizer or Josh McCown!". It's an odd selling point.
Also, the Eagles are not projected to have much cap space in the offseason. They could make room, but it's very possible Alshon plays himself out of a return to Philadelphia.

There are going to be A LOT of WR's available this offseason because of the 2014 class. And there is definitely a market. Going to be really interesting to see how it goes down.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Eagles just extended Jernigan, so there goes one domino financially. They may decide Alshon isn't worth the $$$
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby joeylitz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:17 pm

joeday wrote: ↑Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:33 am For the Mastodons in signature I traded Buck Allen, Martavis Bryant and an early 2nd for him.
So that’s basically a second and a lottery ticket
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby joeylitz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 pm

I’m not even sure what this means. :think:
The numbers don’t lie.
With that said, as an Eagles fan, I watch every Eagles game and I’m surprised by the comment that says he’s getting a lot of targets. Because, with the exception of the last two games (one without Ertz), Alshon just doesn’t seem to be involved in the offense for most of the game.
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08: