McCarron & The Browns.......

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Re: McCarron & The Browns.......

Postby Dookmarriot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:24 pm

The Bengals nearly fleeced Hue for a QB for a second time...
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 pm

The Browns are Bill Murray from "The Man Who Knew Too Little" on this one.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm not sure where all this ridicule is coming from lol .... well I get the jokes about the botched trade - although we don't know the true story - some accounts I have read have it being the Bengals that fumbled the ball there - I'm referring more to the price.

All astute owners (maybe not every owner on this thread is astute) know the hit rate for Quarterbacks, and can easily see how few QBs drafted in the 2nd or later have had good success, and even less if you focus solely on 2nd round selections. It is Derek Carr & Andy Dalton and thats about it for the past 10 years. Adding in later round picks and you get 2 more - Wilson & Prescott.

You know all those starting QBs we love to make fun of - like Flacco, Alex Smith, Bradford or Jay Cutler - all first round picks.

So yeah spending a 2nd & a 3rd on a QB that they are already familiar with, and has good reputation (if not as good as Garoppolos - but again everyone loves to joke about the last time a Belicheck coached QB became a successful starter) and seen as a possible starter - seems pretty reasonable. And just like with SF it would have given them an audition to find out if they needed to draft a QB with a 1st, or needed to break the bank to sign an average QB - like the $10 million on Hoyer or 15 on Osweiler or Glennon was well spent ... or the draft capital spent on RGIII (although that was not all RGIIIs fault)

To me thats just smart. Its like fantasy owners buying player(s) you think will hit big in waivers a week before they blow up and cost 2-3x as much in waivers. So yeah spending a 2nd & a 3rd, when you have plenty of draft capital is better than spending a 1st or multiple firsts / picks or spending at least $15-20 million.

Plus if they had been able to do that - and McCarron was a possible franchise QB then they can leverage their high 1st to a QB needy team wanting one of the 2018 QBs and more than make up the cost - just like they did in 2016 ....
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:18 am

Wish the Colts OL was a bit better at pass protection, think Brissett has a chance to be a successful NE back-up QB ..

As bad as the IND OL is, it seems 10x better than SF's .. especially after losing Staley .. stuck with Beadles at LT, and the joke is, he has been nothing but a turnstyle ..

And I'm also glad the deal fell through for CLE, but there is obvious disharmony occurring between coaching staff and the personnel department, I really felt CLE would take it slow with any of the young QBs and run a whole lot more .. I don't want to pile on about things like its the Browns etc... But from an analytic perspective, I still hope it works out for them ..

Letting Pryor go and picking up Britt was so deja vu with Bowe .. how does that happen??
@PlankMelody

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:25 am

jtd1387 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 pm The Browns are Bill Murray from "The Man Who Knew Too Little" on this one.
Do NOT besmirch the great Bill Murray in this manner!

Also, I've long maintained this movie is one of his best, most underrated performance/movie; slightly better than What About Bob

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 am

ArrylT wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 pm So yeah spending a 2nd & a 3rd on a QB that they are already familiar with, and has good reputation (if not as good as Garoppolos - but again everyone loves to joke about the last time a Belicheck coached QB became a successful starter) and seen as a possible starter - seems pretty reasonable. And just like with SF it would have given them an audition to find out if they needed to draft a QB with a 1st, or needed to break the bank to sign an average QB - like the $10 million on Hoyer or 15 on Osweiler or Glennon was well spent ... or the draft capital spent on RGIII (although that was not all RGIIIs fault)

To me thats just smart. Its like fantasy owners buying player(s) you think will hit big in waivers a week before they blow up and cost 2-3x as much in waivers. So yeah spending a 2nd & a 3rd, when you have plenty of draft capital is better than spending a 1st or multiple firsts / picks or spending at least $15-20 million.
While there are elements of truth in your post, you've actually better highlighted exactly why it would have been a horrible move.

How many NFL starting QBs are there that have become successful franchise QBs that came from backups from other clubs? And how many of those signings failed? On balance, the failures are going to outnumber the success stories (by a lot). Look no further than the Browns themselves who have attempted this exact type of move many times and it doesn't work out.

AJ McCarron isn't a known commodity. He's been in the league for 3 1/2 years and has 3 starts. Garoppolo has roughly the same (also someone I didn't want in Cleveland when the discussions were taking place leading up to the NFL draft). These guys are dart throws. Given the failure rate of this kind of move, there is no way a team should ever consider moving such valuable picks as both a 2nd and a 3rd for a dart throw. They are better off taking that shot in the draft. The ONLY way I want a free agent QB is if that player already proved themselves as a starter on another organization, like Kirk Cousins.

The problem isn't about taking shots in the draft. It's that the organization continues to make the same mistake in the draft by moving out of (or passing on) the opportunity to take the best QB in the draft and then grabbing a lesser option.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am

skip wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 am The problem isn't about taking shots in the draft. It's that the organization continues to make the same mistake in the draft by moving out of (or passing on) the opportunity to take the best QB in the draft and then grabbing a lesser option.
All while telling anyone who will listen why it's the correct move to NOT take the top QB.

I can't imagine Hue lasting past this season unless the team is too cheap to fire him. The front office needs to add a football guy as well.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 am

onetwothree wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am
skip wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 am The problem isn't about taking shots in the draft. It's that the organization continues to make the same mistake in the draft by moving out of (or passing on) the opportunity to take the best QB in the draft and then grabbing a lesser option.
All while telling anyone who will listen why it's the correct move to NOT take the top QB.

I can't imagine Hue lasting past this season unless the team is too cheap to fire him.The front office needs to add a football guy as well.
Its starting to look that way. I hate to base any coach on their results in Cleveland, but its looking like Hue might be more of a Norv Turner. Great OC that should stick to running the offense instead of being the HC. Not even the mighty Bill Belichick could turn around the Browns...though, he did make the playoffs and beat, coincidentally, the Patriots in a wild card game.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:20 pm

Generic Username wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:25 am
jtd1387 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 pm The Browns are Bill Murray from "The Man Who Knew Too Little" on this one.
Do NOT besmirch the great Bill Murray in this manner!

Also, I've long maintained this movie is one of his best, most underrated performance/movie; slightly better than What About Bob
It is a credit to his greatness. When he aims to act the dumb role, he can go all the way to Browns level dumb, without it sticking! :lol:

Yeah, that movie is gold. If any of you kids haven't seen it, watch it before you watch another movie.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Why Jimmy G didn't go to the Browns for the same price: my thought is he had some say in the landing spot. No one wants to end up in this Browns organization - you are placed in a position to fail. Imagine being groomed for so many years with the Pats only to end up in Cleveland.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:23 pm

The Red Rooster wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 am Its starting to look that way. I hate to base any coach on their results in Cleveland, but its looking like Hue might be more of a Norv Turner. Great OC that should stick to running the offense instead of being the HC. Not even the mighty Bill Belichick could turn around the Browns...though, he did make the playoffs and beat, coincidentally, the Patriots in a wild card game.
Looking like Hue might outlast the front office with the latest stories of ownership being upset with the FO and what happened with this deal after Haslam apparently signed off on it.

What a cluster. Time to sell the team and dump everyone.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 am

The thing is, Haslam is still going to be owner. You can fire the coach and replace the front office, but it's hard to escape the conclusion that the organizational chaos is due in large part to the man writing the cheques.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 am

What if it's not the QBs that they ARENT choosing that are great but it's just the organization itself is the problem? For example Wentz.... I do not believe that Wentz would be labeled as a great QB if he played for the Browns and I could easily see the opposite if say Kizer played for the Eagles. Food for thought.

Was also reading rumblings of a rumor that the front office actually sabotaged the trade for AJ McCarron. Which makes sense since Garoppolo went for a 2nd only and McCarron was going for a 2nd + 3rd
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 am

CK_ wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 am What if it's not the QBs that they ARENT choosing that are great but it's just the organization itself is the problem? For example Wentz.... I do not believe that Wentz would be labeled as a great QB if he played for the Browns and I could easily see the opposite if say Kizer played for the Eagles. Food for thought.

Was also reading rumblings of a rumor that the front office actually sabotaged the trade for AJ McCarron. Which makes sense since Garoppolo went for a 2nd only and McCarron was going for a 2nd + 3rd
Oh the team would've totally found a way to ruin Wentz, Watson, et al.

There's no cohesion between the front office and the coaching staff. The owner meddles. It's a toxic environment for anyone to have success. If any team could've used a Tom Coughlin type, it was the Browns. Someone to cut out all of the nonsense and bridge the gap between all the parts.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:10 am

onetwothree wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 am Oh the team would've totally found a way to ruin Wentz, Watson, et al.
If you draw this conclusion then you are basically saying that QBs are developed in the NFL and their skill sets coming out of college have a limited bearing on success. I don't believe that at all - in fact, quite the opposite.

There is no question that there are problems top to bottom within the organization but a team will never have success without a franchise QB. This is something that the team has continually ignored, settling for lesser tier options both in the draft and as free agents. They will never be successful without getting one. The more I'm starting to learn about the 2018 class of QBs, the more and more I believe the organization will regret passing on Wentz in 2016.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.