Jimmy Garoppolo traded to the 49ers!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Jimmy Garoppolo traded to the 49ers!

Postby seahawks506 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 pm

I think they realized they couldn't re-sign Garoppolo after this year, especially not at the price he could command on the market. So they kept him for half a season as insurance, then dealt him for decent value. I'm sure the Pats wanted the best for Jimmy- 9ers offer him a good spot to grow while the Pats also will rarely ever have to play him- win win.

This should really help Garcon, Kittle and the rest of the 9ers offensive players moving forward.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 pm

KCLep20 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:40 pm My only question is why wouldn't you trade a 2nd for Jimmy G?!?!? If that's all it took, the Browns and Jags should have offered that weeks ago. That's an easy decision to make, with limited risk associated with it.
Maybe because his contract only lasts 8 more games?

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:50 pm

They held onto him as long as they could in case of injury to Brady. Makes sense.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 pm

KCLep20 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:40 pm My only question is why wouldn't you trade a 2nd for Jimmy G?!?!? If that's all it took, the Browns and Jags should have offered that weeks ago. That's an easy decision to make, with limited risk associated with it.
No chance Belichick helps the Browns.

Niners could add Saquon with a top 3 pick, then a big name WR and a couple linemen with the cap room they have. Very few big money long term commitments.

Don't dismiss Garoppolo because of situation. It can change fast. Use the current ugliness to buy low if you believe.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm

The 49ers have so many holes I would be shocked if they added Saquon.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm The 49ers have so many holes I would be shocked if they added Saquon.
I won't be. Shanahan offence typically runs through the RB position . They just paid for a qb, now you need to give him weapons
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 pm

scorpion wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 pm
Horrible to consider... maybe not DEN but NYJ eeesh that would suck for him.
It wouldn't be ideal, but they'll have the money. Just looking around the league right now:

Washington
Cleveland
New York Jets
Arizona
Denver
Jacksonville

Only teams that really jump out as needing a QB unless something absurd happens.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 pm

DJB wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:11 pm
Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 pm The 49ers have so many holes I would be shocked if they added Saquon.
I won't be. Shanahan offence typically runs through the RB position . They just paid for a qb, now you need to give him weapons
If memory serves correct, the Shannies prefer to get value backs that do well in a zone-scheme. Terrell Davis, Alf Morris and Davonta Freeman were all acquired cheaply as rookies. That's PART of why Joe Williams got so much hype, people thought he could fulfill the Freeman role.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Now that I have had time to digest this - I do not understand this move for the 49ers.

Garoppolo has half a season left under him. We knew the Patriots were not going to sign him to an extension. We knew that he was going to get signed by a QB needy team.

The 49ers have essentially acquired an 8-game rental QB and giving him an audition to earn himself more money. Either with them or, Jimmy can still choose not to re-sign with them and sign elsewhere.

The 49ers really should have tried to make it a "conditional pick" (on the condition they extend him).

This has potential to blow up in their face, badly.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:39 pm Now that I have had time to digest this - I do not understand this move for the 49ers.

Garoppolo has half a season left under him. We knew the Patriots were not going to sign him to an extension. We knew that he was going to get signed by a QB needy team.

The 49ers have essentially acquired an 8-game rental QB and giving him an audition to earn himself more money. Either with them or, Jimmy can still choose not to re-sign with them and sign elsewhere.

The 49ers really should have tried to make it a "conditional pick" (on the condition they extend him).

This has potential to blow up in their face, badly.
49ers could franchise Garoppolo and continue their offseason without blinking.

I think the 49ers did this move because they either decided Kirk Cousins was not worth the contract he's going to get and/or because they don't think he's going to sign with them.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 pm

As proven by Kirk Cousins - the franchise tag is not a solution but a very brittle bandaid.

And do they really want to give Jimmy G close to $20m or whatever the tag will be next year for QBs?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 pm As proven by Kirk Cousins - the franchise tag is not a solution but a very brittle bandaid.

And do they really want to give Jimmy G close to $20m or whatever the tag will be next year for QBs?
They just gave up their own 2nd round pick for him, which will be either the 33rd or 34th selection. There's always 1st round value that early in the draft.

I think they gave that pick up feeling comfortable with franchising Garoppolo or giving him an extension in the offseason.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:25 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 pm
It wouldn't be ideal, but they'll have the money. Just looking around the league right now:

Washington
Cleveland
New York Jets
Arizona
Denver
Jacksonville

Only teams that really jump out as needing a QB unless something absurd happens.
If you count Washington as needing a QB you have to count Buffalo as well, given how hesitant they have been to keep Tyrod. Also, have we given up on Paxton Lynch already?

Free agents: Brees, Cousins, Taylor, Bradford.

I see 3-10 needy teams. Someone might give McCarron a shot, and I understand there are some good college QBs that might come out. This might be a good year to get a QB discount. Bad news for Colin Kaepernick.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 pm As proven by Kirk Cousins - the franchise tag is not a solution but a very brittle bandaid.

Going rate for QB. Rest of team on cheap contracts. They can spend the money.

Might be better to do 1 year franchise tag just to make sure he's the right guy instead of committing to $100mil guaranteed.

They've gone defense heavy in recent drafts. Time to build that offense.

Raymond1974
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raymond1974 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Tsunami wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:25 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Washington
Cleveland
New York Jets
Arizona
Denver
Jacksonville

If you count Washington as needing a QB you have to count Buffalo as well, given how hesitant they have been to keep Tyrod. Also, have we given up on Paxton Lynch already?

Free agents: Brees, Cousins, Taylor, Bradford.

I see 3-10 needy teams. Someone might give McCarron a shot, and I understand there are some good college QBs that might come out. This might be a good year to get a QB discount. Bad news for Colin Kaepernick.
as a kapernick owner (not sure why) is it safe to say that he is done and can be dropped?