Jimmy Garoppolo traded to the 49ers!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Jimmy Garoppolo traded to the 49ers!

Postby Plank » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:42 am

Saw somewhere, he isn't expected to start any games until W12 at the earliest .. I don't think bringing in JG would stop them from other QB options, Cousins, or even in the draft .. I think Shanahan is a bit impatient and wants to see some offense .. If anything, it gives them more options than they had before ..
@PlankMelody

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:23 am

onetwothree wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:25 pm
Jason wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm The 49ers would then be in position for a sizeable compensatory pick when Jimmy G signs a massive deal with another team.
Would only be a 3rd. Otherwise New England would've just held and received the compensatory pick themselves.

No reason to rush to do an extension now. Franchise tag at 20 mil guaranteed is better than guaranteeing 50-60 mil like most of the new QB contracts are going for.

Niners have all the leverage here. Plus it's a new front office. Not Baalke running things. By all accounts they had a successful first draft.
For what it's worth, they retained like 17 guys from the previous scouting department that oversaw the complete deterioration of the team. Sure the general manager and head coach changed, but Paraag Marathe remained and Jed is still there making a bumbling idiot of himself, like they actually put out a survey to fans asking how important winning was to their stadium experience. If you go through their front office page almost the entire building remains the same except for a general manager who has no experience whatsoever.

A 3rd round pick is a pretty decent pick. You can get a Kelvin Benjamin for a 3rd round pick.

I just don't think putting the QB through the Kirk Cousins year-to-year franchise tag gauntlet is the right approach, but maybe the Redskins are trendsetters and this is going to start to be a thing.

Mastershake
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Mastershake » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:12 am

I think Jimmy G is going to be a stud. The sample size is small, but I see it clear as day.

In his small sample size I have seen him throw darts with incredible accuracy all over the field. I have seen him throw from multiple platforms, on the run, and under duress without loss of said accuracy. I have seen him move smoothly and calmly through the pocket with bodies all around him and deliver strikes. His release is as quick as I have seen in the league and the throwing motion is so compact without losing anything on his throws. He gets the ball out of his hands quickly and had complete control of an incredibly complicated New England offense.

It was clear New England held on to him to the very last second because they know he is a franchise QB, but they have the GOAT playing at a high level and it forced their hand. You can see in their interviews that everyone in the organization respected him. Jimmy G is now going to play for one of the best offensive minds in the league in Shanahan. It will take a year or two to get the pieces around him, but once they do it will be special.

The only thing we don't know about Jimmy G is how durable he is, that is the only thing I can see that can derail him. He played a few games and got hurt, was it a fluke? Could he be prone to injury? Possibly, but for a 2nd round pick you take that risk.
14 team TE premium dynasty league - 0.2 PPR - (50% bonus for TE in PPR and Yards)
Start 1 QB, 1 TE, 5 RB/WR/TE (Max 3 RB)

QB: Dak Prescott, Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo, Sam Bradford

RB: LeSean McCoy, Lamar Miller, Todd Gurley

WR: Odell Beckham Jr., DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, John Brown, Devante Parker, DeSean Jackson, Zay Jones, Chris Godwin

TE: Jordan Reed, Jimmy Graham, Kyle Ruldoph, David Njoku, Rico Gathers

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 am

Mastershake wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:12 am I think Jimmy G is going to be a stud. The sample size is small, but I see it clear as day.

In his small sample size I have seen him throw darts with incredible accuracy all over the field. I have seen him throw from multiple platforms, on the run, and under duress without loss of said accuracy. I have seen him move smoothly and calmly through the pocket with bodies all around him and deliver strikes. His release is as quick as I have seen in the league and the throwing motion is so compact without losing anything on his throws. He gets the ball out of his hands quickly and had complete control of an incredibly complicated New England offense.

It was clear New England held on to him to the very last second because they know he is a franchise QB, but they have the GOAT playing at a high level and it forced their hand. You can see in their interviews that everyone in the organization respected him. Jimmy G is now going to play for one of the best offensive minds in the league in Shanahan. It will take a year or two to get the pieces around him, but once they do it will be special.

The only thing we don't know about Jimmy G is how durable he is, that is the only thing I can see that can derail him. He played a few games and got hurt, was it a fluke? Could he be prone to injury? Possibly, but for a 2nd round pick you take that risk.
Agree 100%, especially with the last paragraph.

As a 49er fan, I am optimistic, but not going crazy with happiness just yet.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 am

Hardcore Niner fan here. Been kinda rooting for losses so we could snatch a possible franchise QB in the 2018 draft. Hadmy eye on Rosen. No sure how to feel about this move but I'm cautiously optimistic.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:45 am

Jason wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:23 am For what it's worth, they retained like 17 guys from the previous scouting department that oversaw the complete deterioration of the team. Sure the general manager and head coach changed, but Paraag Marathe remained and Jed is still there making a bumbling idiot of himself, like they actually put out a survey to fans asking how important winning was to their stadium experience. If you go through their front office page almost the entire building remains the same except for a general manager who has no experience whatsoever.

A 3rd round pick is a pretty decent pick. You can get a Kelvin Benjamin for a 3rd round pick.

I just don't think putting the QB through the Kirk Cousins year-to-year franchise tag gauntlet is the right approach, but maybe the Redskins are trendsetters and this is going to start to be a thing.
I think getting rid of Baalke alone was more than enough. Everything I've read was how paranoid he was about being usurped. Marathe is supposed to be a cap expert. Yeah, Jed isn't the greatest owner so we'll see if he leans more on Eddie Debartolo or turns out like his parents over time.

Just meant with the 3rd that the Patriots traded for the 2nd because letting Garoppolo go would only have resulted in a 3rd for a compensatory pick so they profited. Wouldn't make any sense for the Niners to deal a high 2nd to turn around and let him go for a 3rd at the end of the round. Basically lose 2 rounds of draft position then.

I don't think going the franchise tag route is a good way to treat your potential franchise QB either but it is good leverage to try and work out a fair deal. Even franchising over 3 seasons would be something like 65-70 mil guaranteed so it provides a good framework on making a deal.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:08 am

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but regarding his long-term future in SF, I have a hard time believing they gave up a high 2nd round pick without complete confidence they could retain him for the long term. G won't even be ready to play until week 12- as a bottom feeder the only reason you make this trade is that you expect to keep him around through the long rebuilding process.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:34 pm

I wonder if holding him back a few weeks is just to ensure the team loses a few more games since it's a race to the bottom against the Browns and there are a couple winnable games coming up.

I don't care how much time Beathard has had with the team. I can't imagine how he's better than a new to the team Garoppolo.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:25 am

No, Shanahan's system isn't easy to learn, Matt Ryan struggled with it considerably his first year .. often saying, it was "too much" ... I really think we can shelf all teams purposely tanking, its not common, we can point to a few instances, but in general, decisions are not being made with that in mind ..
@PlankMelody

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 am

This trade might make Garcon a sneaky fantasy bet next year.

Of course, many of us thought that would happen this year... sigh
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Rtreilly81
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rtreilly81 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:24 pm

I just shipped Funchess and Hoyer to get JimmyG and a late 2nd so I’m hoping he is the next coming of Steve Young
16 team ppr superflex

QB: Garoppolo, Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Mixon, Henry, Booker, Miller, Mack, McNichols, Ballage
WR: Davis, Treadwell, Jmatt, Beasley, DJ Moore, J Washington, Tre’ Smith, Prich, Taywan Taylor, Chad Williams, Benjamin, Krishawn Hogan
TE: Njoku, McDonald

18 picks: 1.13, 2.07, 2.13, 3.02

Raymond1974
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raymond1974 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:29 pm

Rtreilly81 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:24 pm I just shipped Funchess and Hoyer to get JimmyG and a late 2nd so I’m hoping he is the next coming of Steve Young
I would say you got a good deal! From a jimmy owner myself,let's hope he turns out to be great! :clap:

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Once Jimmy G was put in as the starting QB in SF, the 49er's won the next 5 games, and Jimmy looked good doing it.

With 7 NFL starts under his belt, Jimmy G is now the highest paid NFL player with a 5 year $137.5 million contract. He is 26 years old. Top 10 dynasty QB? Top 5?

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm

I think he's comfortably in the top 10. He does have top 5 upside in my opinion, but the sample size is so small and we are giving him the benefit of improving numbers based on the assumption he gets more weapons.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Sure you could argue he could be top 10. You could also argue that for half the QBs starting.